1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandom Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume Two]

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Antivash, Aug 19, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sorry about it linking to the mobile version but going to the main site always makes you lose the page.

Sage

When Naruto is given a gift considered legendary even in a world where walking on water is a daily occurrence for some, will it lead him on a path towards peace or will the consequences of said gift leave a hole in his heart too large to fill?

Overall I enjoyed the story, even though Naruto isn't very much like his Canon self and is a bit of a Gary Stu. The differences are believable, the author isn't afraid to roll out the punches and the plot itself is fairly compelling. Characterization is good and the pacing isn't slow at all. I enjoyed it but don't think it's library quality.

2. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

First line has Naruto hit by a shop keeper and kicked out of the store. I'd forgotten stories like that existed.

3. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If you think that's bad wait until you get to the card carrying mustache twirling Uchiha. If you can get past the opening though it's a good story, but that's why it's in almost recommended.

4. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

Legend a Legend of Zelda Fanfiction by Falls-44

Hyrule suffers under the depraved rule of the usurper-king Ganondorf; the Royal Family has been hunted nearly to its last. The people pray for a savior, but when the Goddesses refuse to answer, a hero must rise to restore the true monarchy... FINISHED!

A bit corny in places but generally well-written fic, especially for Legend of Zelda fan fiction. Pretty much Link becomes Batman in Hyrule. The title is even inspired by a quote from Batman Begins. As a warning, the genre is Adventure/Romance.

3.5/5

5. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Can someone recommend any good Percy Jackson stories? It's weird. I like the idea the series is based upon (Greek gods and all that good stuff in a modern setting) but the series itself comes off too childish, I find, like it was written by a twelve year old.

6. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Truth to be told, all the good Percy Jackson stories I've found where the crossover written by Ryuugi Shi, most of them you can find in either the Dresden or Misc Work by Author subforums.

There are a few one-shots by other people, but if you didn't like the books all that much I doubt those will do you much good, seeing that the good ones are more feel-y about Percy, Annabeth and the like.

The rest are rather crappy "X reads Percy Jackson and the Olympians" of which there seem to be an ungodly amount of and a lot of self insert stories where people make up shitty demi gods for their equally shitty stories. Maybe there is even a good one among them but I didn't have the stomach to wade through them just yet.

Really, the Percy Jackson fandom got the shaft when it comes to fanfiction, which is a pity. Would love to see some good stuff.

7. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8579252/1/Sun-s-Heir-Death-s-Guardian

This is the only one I've found outside of ryuugi's that I can tolerate (and even then it's far from library material). It's a crossover with Naruto, where Naruto's a demigod by the way of Minato (who is really Apollo) and he gets dragged into the goings-on of the 2nd (?) book. It's decently well written, if memory serves, even if the plot sticks decently close to PJO canon.

I really wish I could find some half-decent other ones though. There's just so much damn potential in that universe and I'm something of a fan of Grecco-Roman mythology, so it's rather disappointing to see the state of the fandom.

8. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

It seems DC hates me
    DC announces they're killing off Superboy (Conner Kent), replacing him with another Superboy (Jon Lane-Kent) and Supergirl is leaving the Superfam franchise. So I am really bitter about it.

So if anyone has any Superboy/Superfam centric fics they can recommend, please post them because I need them.

9. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, I read that one a fair bit. He takes an 'apprentice' at age ten. That's just.. dumb. I couldn't get past it. Especially considering said apprentice is a terribly shallow character I couldn't stand to read the dialogue of.

10. Lucius Rex

Lucius Rex First Year DLP Supporter

11. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

I would throw this Transformers G1 fic up in the review section if I thought there was any hope of more than two people liking the fandom. Optimus Prime is accidentally stabbed in the back by one of his subordinates, who is sent out on a mission to temporarily save him from Prime's wrath. 5/5, have read many times, will read again.

Staying Alive: A HowTo by The Starhorse
    Summary:Rule Number One: Don't ever, ever, EVER stab your commanding officer in the back. Rule Number Two: On the off chance that you ignore Rule Number One, you better run like hell. Far, far away.

12. purple

purple Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Locked & Loaded
    Been following this story for a bit now and I've been shocked that it's a One Piece story with no slash or romance, especially since I found it on Tumblr. Overall a good story, but very short.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  13. Hal

Hal Professor

14. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    If you could say something about each besides the link, that'd be great.

15. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Conversions

Because just like everything else that can be changed, so can their bodies. "Uhm," Percy looked around the room and then back at him/her. "I think you've lost a few body parts and I've somehow gained them." Genderbent challenge for March, while the Greek group take a visit to Europe during their vacation and discover some...interesting...side effects of magic. Oneshot. Leo/Piper.

the worst things come free

They were forced to go through it alone ; Reyna, Nico, Leo.

The Years of Our Titans

A Hunter. A general. A slave. A deadly game of chess with no one gaining the upper hand. The war between the Titans and the Olympians they thought they'd defeated. Life and death and love and hate and betrayal and trust. Welcome to the Years of our Lords

Broken Bow

An old fool's vengence forces Apollo to keep a huge and possibly devestating secret from Artemis for over a decade, a deception that she may never be able to forgive him for. Winner of the Veritas OC award. Ghost Writers Approved. Beta by Shrrgnien.

Author Profile: Icy Roses

There’s some stuff here. Lots of short one shot type stories.

The Boy on the Cloud

Post-apocalyptic, Titans-victory AU. Percy and Luke watch the death of the West and the rise of the second Golden Age. Some angst, some torture, some yelling, some Twinkies that lasted through the end of civilization. Written for pjo kinkmeme.

The Three Lives of Luke Castellan

Thalia Grace encounters Luke Castellan's soul trice over five hundred years. She thinks it might be a conspiracy, but as they say, death cannot stop true love. It can only delay it a little while. Spoilers for The Last Olympian. Futurefic, Thalia/Luke.

Iron Hearts

They both built, but for different purposes that were inextricably intertwined, for they had both loved and lost spectacularly. Hear the unsung story of Hephaestus, abandoned by his mother and betrayed by his wife, as he desperately seeks pure love in a world that seems to adamantly deny him of it. Follow Leo as he pines for the girl so tantalizingly close yet unreachably far away.

once upon a midnight dreary

AU. Perlia. He refuses to live in a world where she ceases to be a part of it. So he makes a bargain with a tyrant of a queen and gives up everything. Phoenix Awards Cup of Tea #3 Winner: Picture Prompt.

Hands

Because Leo Valdez wasn't good with his words and feelings, but he always managed to make the most beautiful things with his hands. And when he held her fingers and smiled up at her inanimate painted eyes, he wondered why her hands don't feel any different than a living person that he wished to hold. Oneshot.

The Will of a Warrior

'He is defined, as most people are, by his relationships with others.' When life hands you an opportunity, take it. Ares-centric, five-shot; companion piece to A Memoir of Wisdom.

Mistake

He was an accident, and the one thing he wanted, was the one thing he could never have. Winner of the Veritas Award for Best Original Character.

Author Profile: Shrrgnien

Lots of things here, mostly one shot stuff, and short stories across various fandoms.

The Son of Neptune

He doesn't know where he is, where he's from, or even who he is. Only the moon and its light binds him to the past. But there's no time to walk down memory-lane. The Feast of Fortune approaches. A Quest must be undertaken. Will Percy and Artemis make it?

16. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Boy on the cloud was surprisingly good, and heading in a decent direction, up until the slash. A shame, but what can you do.

17. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

The slash actually fit in that story, and the sequel is pretty good as well. The whole thing had a great wistfulness to it that I found awesome.

18. Hal

Hal Professor

I usually access DLP from my tablet, sorry.

19. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

A Black Heart
    By Sedor
    Evil!ButNotDark! Ichigo instead of Generic!ToughNiceGuy! Ichigo. So far it is still early in the story with Rukia in whatever the hometown is called, but Ichigo being completely different is fun. It is written quite well, and the intro is fun instead of just being a rehash. The problems are simple, well it only really has one so far. It is way to short to give a serious review.

The second problem is not known yet. It will be nice to see if the author glorifies Ichigo considering Sedors favorite stories are filled with that trash, or if he is treated more seriously like the horrible person he is... or even worse... Ichigo is redeemed because of reasons.

20. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

To be honest I found the interactions between the characters terrible and didn´t get over the first chapter.

Not open for further replies.