1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandom Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume Two]

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Antivash, Aug 19, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    You read my reply, then?

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, replying now.

3. chriar

chriar Third Year

Any chance you can shoot me a pm with those reccs too? I've been looking for some more DC fics in general.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is a nice little fic about a newbie reporter that tangentially touches on the events of The Avengers, focusing on Captain America specifically.

It's short, but the idea that spawned it isn't one that could be drawn out much further, I think. It could have done with being a bit more in depth about some things and the POV character was fairly generic, but otherwise it was a good way to spend 10 minutes.

4/5 because it's well written and enjoyable, but nothing really spectacular.

5. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Imme search my favs and see what I can find, you guys. Will PM you sometime tomorrow, probably.

6. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, I should post a list of the DC stories that I happen to like:

Bear in mind, while a few do fit the criteria of almost good, quite a few of them are actually rather good, but it seems silly to make two lists for different threads, so, I'll lump all of them here, if that is no problem.

Batgirl: A Quiet Halloween by Duo Himura

Charming one shot, rather enjoyable. Good read with ca. 13 000 words. Complete, due to being a one shot.

4/5

Broken Bones by Thomas the Betrayer

Also a one shot, this time with around 5000 words. Nice introspective on Cassandra and the life in Gotham. Done by one of my favourite authors on fanfiction.net. Definitely worth checking out his other stories.

5/5

Cassandra Cain, The Batgirl by Dan Ingram

Incomplete with over 160 000 words, but regular updates. A rather good story about Cassandra and her life as the Batgirl. I really like the characterization of Cass in this but it feels like that this story could be great if it took the story in other places. Still, worth a read and I think it's the longest Cassandra centric story I've found.

4/5

It's the Thought that Counts by Gladrial10

Cracky one shot, short and entertaining, perfect fit for this thread.

3/5

The Gotham Knights of Middle Earth by phoenix83ad

Complete with over 270 000 words. Well, it's decent, but not exactly good, also a good fit for this thread. The characterization of Cassandra is iffy at times and overall, it is rather lazy. On one hand, it is interesting to see two non super powered people with good training and combat capabilities being thrown into the mix, since they could influence stuff without being overpowered. However, nothing really changes. The plot of the movies/books progresses the exact same way and it just seems pointless to drop those two into this setting without them having any impact on anything really. Decent time waster but nothing else really, unless you had this LotR-DC crossover itch.

3/5

The Left Side by Silk Queen

Short, completed yuri story. Guilty pleasure more than anything else. Writing is weak and characters are iffy, but hey, in case you looked for a readable SpoilerxBatgirl story...

2.5/5

A Piece of Glass by Breech Loader

incomplete with over 50 000 words. I think it updates from time to time but with no real frequency. It is rather interesting though. The OC is a really messed up character as well and their interactions were rather fascinating. Not quite sure how good it is since it has been a while since I last read it but I do have fond memories of it. Worth checking out.

4/5

Not Playing with a Full Deck by 4ofCups

Incomplete with over 260 000 words. Okay, this story is amazing and I somewhat sure that it has a thread here on DLP or was at least mentioned. If not, it deserves a thread. Writing is really good and the Joker in this is terrifying. While I do appreciate it if the Joker is scary and funny at the same time, here, the author went deep into the scary territory. It's the movie Joker only without the censoring of the movie holding him back. Drawback of the story is that it gets depressing really fast and makes you hate humans even more than you did before.

Basically, the Joker just breaks Lois Lane while Batman tries to find her before that happens. Superman does appear in this story but he is sidelined and is not a real character, and doesn't know what is happening due to being in the arctic or whatnot. That was a bit hard to swallow but understandable since Superman would have made this problem moot. Great writing, great characters, great portrayal of how to psychologically destroy someone and great showing of the cesspool that is Gotham.

Just don't expect anything fun or positive in this. It's misery throughout.

5/5

Supergirl Beginnings by jacques0

Story is incomplete and has two-three sequel stories, the last of which is still ongoing with regular updates. Basically an AU in which Superman never existed and instead there was a Supergirl from the beginning. Yuri pairings. Not exactly good but still a decent read with an interesting premise, so, good enough for this thread. I quite like the concept and I actually feel that the reboot movies should have done something along these lines. Writing isn't stellar, some mistakes here and there and the author tends to include short story lines that don't amount to much at times, but overall, decent time waster if you like Supergirl and the idea of a DC world without Superman.

3.5/5

Always a Bridesmaid, Never a Bride by Allaine

Complete with over 70 000 words and has a sequel called Dragons, Demons and other Wonders of the Heart that is incomplete with over 140 000 words and seems dead so far.

Also suits quite well into this thread, story is good enough, with a focus on Wonder Woman and a relationship she builds with a woman she meets in a JLA episode, although I don't think I've ever seen that episode. Writing is decent and I enjoyed a WW story in which she is not shoehorned into a romance with either Batman or Superman. Especially the sequel kicks off a rather interesting story, including other characters, while sidelining those two but they still fulfill good roles. While the beginning is a bit "meh" due to the focus on pairing characters off, that stops rather soon and while there are some really questionable decisions made by the characters for the sole reason of creating drama, stories overall work out nicely. Wouldn't put them into the library but they should do nicely here. Worth reading, I think.

3.5-4/5

An Unusual Mission by Adrian Tullberg

Complete...I think with over 40 000 words. Batman and Wonder Woman pairing, one that I really enjoyed. Am not sure people will be too happy with Batman's characterization here since people seem to prefer the colossal and inhuman jerk who just glares at everyone at every time but I quite liked the more human approach to him, as he was in the animated series. The chemistry between those two was quite good and while it got a bit silly at times, it was immensely entertaining and I enjoyed every second of it.

5/5

Escape Artistry by David Hines

Already mentioned this one. Complete with over 27 000 words. I quite enjoyed this one, has a bit of an older take on the Wonder Woman mythos, with the "losing her powers when bound by a man" still in effect, but a really great characterization of both, WW and Batman, their flaws and strengths well preserved. Rather bittersweet overall, showing the great differences in character. Also good portrayal of other characters. Really liked this one.

Only two flaws though, one, too short, would have liked to see this continue although it has a good ending and two, Batman does something at the end which I found cruel and out of character to other people which I do not think he would have done, for the sake of creating a funny moment. Still, good read. Not sure if library worthy due to its shortness but a must read for fans of both characters.
    Still, 4.5/5

Probationary Member by Adrian Tulberg

Complete with around 16 000 words and this story is amazing. I really loved it. It starts light-hearted and funny but gets darker and grittier and, well, better as it continues as it manages to give everyone characterization as it progresses in such a short amount of time. Really loved this. Basically, the new recruit has a profession that comes as a surprise and how the JKA members deal with this and it is very well handled all around. Might post this in the library.

5/5

Infinite Legacy by Kipling Bunny and its sequel Infinite Memory by The-Lady-Isis

First one is complete with around 40 000 words and the second one is ongoing with over 100 000 words. Those two are somewhere between almost readable and barely good, although I would say they lean more towards barely good-ish. Basically, the first one is about who is Terry's mother (three guesses and the first two don't count) and that story is handled quite well, actually, with a few overly dramatic and clichéd moments and such. 3.5/5 for that one. The second, its sequel, is about an OC who is the daughter of Batman and that mother (it makes sense after reading the first story) and how she begins a relationship with Superman. It's interesting, I guess and more of a guilty pleasure, really. Good time waster if you are looking for some kind of story where Superman moves on after the death of Lois a long time after she died. Characters are handled rather well but could have been better.

also 3.5/5.

The Once and Future...King? by Shadow Crystal Mage

One shot around 2000 words. Actually, not that good, barely a 2/5, but I was on a Fate/Stay Night craze and was looking for all kinds of stories as long as it had Saber in them. Writing is sloppy, execution and the handling of the characters are bad. Not really a recc at all but it has an interesting premise, even though it is executed quite badly. Am currently working on a story in which Saber awakens in the DC universe, so, since it inspired me, guess it is only fair to post it here for those who look for something similar. Cracky and not that serious.

1.5-2 / 5, depending on how generous you are at the moment.

The Titans and the Lost Boy by Lathis and its sequel Dark Titans.

First story is complete with around 300 000 words and the second one is unfinished with around 450 000 words and with rare updates.

Well, I love those stories. I think the characters are very well handled, the writing is solid, the action is great, while hitting both, the darker side of the shows and its humor excellently. One of the better crossovers I have read until now and I've read a lot of them. The two franchises mesh surprisingly well. Reread those more than once. Focus is more on the DC character that appear in the Teen Titans animated series and the Ranma characters although other DC characters appear and are handled well.

4.5/5

Arachnophobia by J.B. Writer

Summary says it all, Spidey, Venom and Carnage are dumped into the Teen Titans universe. Spidey joins the Titans, the other two the villains and well, rather entertaining story overall. Finished with around 100 000 words and while it has a sequel called Duality, it only had three chapters or so before dying, even though it set up a rather interesting premise. Worth reading. Not sure about library quality though.

4/5

Pretty sure this is in the library or so already and it if isn't, it deserves to be there. Might check afterwards to see if it's there. Anyway, the Ascension Trilogy by Cyberwraith9, which has the three stories Avatar, Adaptation and Absolution, the first two of which are finished with 260 000 words for the first, 420 000 words for the second and 88 000 so far for the third.

I can't think I can rave about this stories enough, I absolutely love them. I love the characterization of everyone, I love the dialogue, I love where the story goes, I love the atmosphere, I love the fight scenes, the tension and the humor. I love how the DC universe in general is worked into this, how the other characters slowly appear over the course of three stories, fitting in organically. I love how characters that have been one note or not existing at all are developed and I love how the Titans in general are changing. I especially love how these stories define what it means to be a Titan. It also introduces an OC that has become one of my favorite OC's of all time. As far as I am concerned, Tek is as much a Titan as everyone else on the team.

If anything, it reminds me very much of Worm, with the, atmosphere and progession of the plot, although I've read this before Worm, so, actually, I was reminded of this while I read Worm. Not saying this is better than Worm but similar in a lot of ways. It is one of the best takes on superhero stories that I have seen.

I have been told the first chapter or so is weak in terms of writing style. I didn't see it but in case you have similar problems, read on, it is so worth it.

over 9000/5

Dance of Skeletons by CalliopeMused

Complete with over 333 000 words. AU setting, okay story. Honestly, don't remember much about it. 3-4 / 5. Might have been better but I honestly can't recall.

Life with no Green by amused4ever

Story wasn't that well executed, but interesting in concept, so, rather fitting for this thread as well. BB loses his powers and his green skin and has to adapt to a normal life. Interesting enough. 3.5 / 5

Of Dreams That Are by Tomas the Betrayer

Complete with around 200 000 words. Crossover-ish with Call of C'thulu. Raven centric. Rather interesting and a great build up of atmosphere although the ending goes somewhere a little silly,but then again, Teen Titans. Good writing, good build-up into a darker setting and good dialog.

4.5/5

Two Birds by Adorable Pragmatism

Teen Titans and Young Justice crossover. Basically, the Teen Titans cross over into the Young Justice World to round up a few villains that have been transported there and the YJ team tries to find out who they are. Interesting conflict here, with the clashes between the same characters who are different due to their ages and experiences. Incomplete with irregular updates. around 145 000 words.

4/5

Justice League: The Spider by Agent-G

Complete with ca 178 000 words. Honestly, also not many memories on that one. Think it was decent but it had a few problems, with a bit of an harem-y nature. Also a bit overly dramatic at times, if the first chapter was any indication. 3-4 / 5

A Song if Ice and Fire, and New Heroes by Vergil1989 the Crossover King

A Song of Ice and Fire and Young Justice crossover, incomplete with 22,592 words.
    Not very long and not the best suited crossover, writing is decent enough but I quite like the premise. The team is transported to Westeros and they are all with different people. Artemis is with the Starks, Superboy is with Daenerys, Megan and Zatanna are with Tyrion and I think that's all we know so far, at least all I can remember. Difficult crossover due to the discrepancy in power, I mean, Superboy alone is a game breaker, but then again, them being heroes and with inflexible morals might be interesting

Too short to properly rate with only two chapters but I tend towards 4/5 so far.

In Darkest Light by Meljean Brook

Complete with around 70 000 words. Also quite good, really like the characterization of WW in this one, so much so that I wish she was handled that way more often. Quite interesting overall. especially her interaction with other people and the way she looks into the world.

4.5/5

There should be more but it seems that they have vanished from my favorites list, so, will post if others come to mind.

7. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

8. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I didn't have time for a thorough search, and I probably won't for the following days, but I promised you something today. Rather than send you a PM, I'll post it here.

Stains of Time- Batman was hit by Darkseid's Omega Beams in 'Destroyer'
    I am conflicted on this fic, personally. I don't personally enjoy it, but it very well made, with a very coherent and forward plotline, and many different POVs that, if you're into POV changes are very well handled.
    It is a huge epic currently sitting on 533k words. The main character is Batman.
    The plot is kind of weird to describe, so I'll let you try it and see how far you can go.
    It is full of misery, misery, and more misery, with the occasional flashes of hope, but I wouldn't describe it as angst. It is not pointless either, it's moving towards a very specific direction.
    It does have romance, but it pales in comparison to the size of, well, everything else.

Give it a try, it may be to your tastes.

Parallels- Is a BM/WW fic by TheLadyIsis. Despite what I think of the author, this fic has an interesting premise and good execution. There is a sequel, but I don't think it is of the same quality, and you can in fact never read the sequel. Parallels closes all of its plots by its end, if memory serves.

If you are not put off by Romance stories, you can give Dinasis's series a shot. It is heavily BM/WW, but it does have a coherent plot. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, and wouldn't give it a 5/5 either, but if you like Romance and the idea of BM/WW, then this is your fic.

9 Months- By Kippling Bunny
    Another fluffy BM/WW (notice the pattern?). Relatively short, if memory serves each chapter is about one month in Diana's pregnancy, and everything that comes of it. Found it pretty good when I read it, not sure now.

These are the only ones I can currently find with Wonder Woman in it. As you may have noticed, I've only found her during my Batman searches. For good or bad, these were heavily Romance (with the exception of Stains).
    If I find more fics that I liked I'll let you know.

Edit: Wow, now that I look at them again these are stories that I would place around 3/5. I've no idea where I've saved the few gems I've found, or on which account I've put them in >_>

---------- Post automerged at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

I laughed quite a bit when I realized that I've read every single BM/WW story you posted, Nemrut.

---------- Post automerged at 08:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

Plus all stories from Kipling Bunny and TheLadyIsis.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  9. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Adaptation, the second of the trilogy, is in the Library as far as I know. And I'm seconding the rec 'cause it's awesome.

10. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Here's an interesting one I haven't seen posted before. A Rinnegan Naruto story of a significant length, and relatively good grammar. There's a few misused words but generally readable.

I'd post this in review but there's a few pretty weird quirks that others may not be as tolerant too. Naruto is a pacifist, as someone raised by monks would be. He doesn't shy away from fighting, but kind of weird as a premise.

There's also a weird tendency to hit the main points of canon as well. The wave arc and chuunin exams still exist even though Naruto has no attachments to Konoha.

The update rate seems absurd too. 400k words in half a year? Jeez.

Plot spoilers:
    Naruto does have a breaking point for his pacifism. And it's pretty damn awesome.

Getting all the Bijuu in order is kind of predictable and stretches realism, although that can probably be put toward the bloodline. I'm also curious if Nagato still has his Rinnegan too...

11. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

It has.

/10char

12. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Ah, must have missed it previously.

An interesting note about most Naruto fanfiction is that if you add ~3-5 years to everyone's age it makes a great deal more sense.

13. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There are a couple stories where I've considered doing a find/replace on the age of every young character. But it just feels like way too much effort.

Anyway, even if he was taking apprentices at 15, it would still be retarded. Apprentices are something for Masters. Aged people with experience and wisdom about life. Not just hand-fed wisdom given out by monks and too much power granted by a bloodline.

Eh. I've seen it on lots of author's following lists, but I just can't stand it.

14. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

http://archiveofourown.org/works/892289
    http://archiveofourown.org/works/845157
    MCU Oneshots:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/414165
    http://archiveofourown.org/works/879463

15. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

The Last - All people leave a legacy. For some, it simply has a more lasting impression. A tale of the DC Universe with the Trinity at its heart. Based on the new 2013 film Man of Steel. Ultimately SM/WW

I'm really loving this fic, which is based on the new Man of Steel film and shows a entire DC universe which takes place after that film. I'm really loving it so far, and each chapter is essentially one year. The first chapter is Superman vs Batman, and I suspect that near the end it will go onto the Batman Beyond era(or at least the author's interpretation of that era). It's a very slow building Superman/Wonder Woman which also includes some Batman/Catwoman in the mix.

It's good enough so far that I'd consider it one day becoming library worthy.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  16. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

What's "the Trinity"? Is that a collective reference to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman?

17. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Yup, Trinity means Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

18. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Fuck this fic, and fuck everyone who liked it.

/Ship rage

19. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Haha, I knew I'd see this the moment I saw The Last in this thread. You're very loyal to Batman/Wonder Woman, Republic.

Even if you hate Superman/Wonder Woman with the fury of a thousand suns (not far off? ;)) I think The Last is worth reading. There hasn't been much Supes/WW yet (Superman has been out of the picture for almost half the fic too) and the story really is pretty good. Plus there is quite a wide selection of characters shown.

I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of the whole one year per chapter format but it does work pretty well here for covering a long period of time. I'd give it 4.5/5 to be honest. One of the best things I've read in DC fiction (accompanied by Republic's one shot Not So Blessed despite it unfortunately being Batman/WW :awesome).

20. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Don't get me wrong. I started reading this fic today. I plan on getting the fuck out and rinsing my eyes with alcohol at the first sight of SM/WW, but the first chapter looks cool.

Also, why will nobody call me 'Rep'. Is it that much of a stretch? T_T

---------- Post automerged at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

Also, thanks for the rec. I'd be interested in reading a more detailed review by you.

Not open for further replies.