1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandom Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume Two]

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Antivash, Aug 19, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I actually have a different problem with Swinging Pendulum. I mean, yeah, the everyone is suspicious of Aizen thing and the council being evil are problems, clichéd ones at that, but I was personally more bored/disturbed by the blatant Ichigo wank, with him being so much better at every, single thing than anyone else and that everyone who is not in his fanclub is a raging and incompetent tool.

I get it, SS is corrupt, but come one. By now, there are practically two kinds of people, people who like Ichigo and who are thus good, competent and somewhat three dimensional and people who don't, who are unable to even perform the smallest task without fucking up due to their horrible egos.

2. meev

meev Groundskeeper

The first one's kinda exactly what canon is though. The only exception I can see to that is the Kidou, but that's something he never learned in canon and the orb technique thing in the SS arc made a key point that the moment he started using the basis for Kidou he could do it perfectly where he couldn't do it at all before. So even that's not exactly a stretch, plus he's not exactly better than everyone at that.

Well, there's also how he became a million times weaker and slower during the HM arc, but that doesn't really apply in this case. So anyway, I'm not really sure that could be classified as wank, even if it's still boring due to lack of conflict, but that's something that can be applied to the fic in general.

On the second point though I completely agree, but that ties into the larger problem of the characterization. I'm not sure I would call any of the good guys three dimensional personally.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  3. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Really enjoying Swinging Pendulum, and reading the latest chapter reminded me of that. Basically one of just three Bleach fics that I've really liked.

That being said, I do agree with some of what other people have said. I can live with Central 46 having their own plans (though it'd need some tweaks to the world to have that make sense). But the fact everyone seems to be aware Aizen is up to something spoils a lot of it.

Furthermore, as Nemrut said, everyone who isn't complete fail that has been introduced in this fic has joined the Ichigo fan-club. We haven't seen a strong person (other than Aizen) who has played an antagonist, or even neutral role toward him. And there is some room for that (he's obviously way above the level he should be - that should surely raise some suspicious eyebrows). I really hope it doesn't come to him just doing a big reveal, and having everyone ally with him against Aizen.

Though, I disagree about Nemrut's issues with Ichigo being so much better at everything than everyone else. He's basically stronger than most of the Captains - and that is a level way, way, way above academy level. So even though he's holding most of that back, it makes sense that he is better than anyone he's with. I just wish that wasn't met purely with encouragement and friendship.

I don't mind the wordiness and long internal monologues though, since a lot of what this story has been about so far is Ichigo's relationship with various people and how he deals with his new place. I'm more excited about that than him fighting Aizen. I'm in no rush to start speeding up those events (partly because I have this feeling that the fic will go downhill after that - I mean, what's there left after Ichigo reveals how powerful he is?).

4. Nemrut

High Score:
    I understand why he is so much better than everyone and it does make sense but it leaves me bored when his biggest obstacle is basically the douchiness of the jerk characters.

I mean, Ichigo is just better than everyone and I mean that in every way. He is a better person, he is a better teacher, he is a better comrade, he is a better leader, he is a better friend, he is a better student, he is a be fighter, he is a better everything he does and everyone is just amazed at this. He is not a better soldier since he would disregard orders he would disagree with but that makes him a better person and in a way, a better soldier again.

It's really not just his fighting capabilities that annoy me. I just get sick about reading how much of a better human being/shinigami Ichigo is compared to everyone else and how he enriches everyone's life and how his bluntness is charming only to the likeable characters and so on.

I agree, that most interesting parts so far where him trying to fit in while wrestling with his feelings for the people he knew under different circumstances and already had different relationships with, but honestly, outside of that, his life is fantastic in SS. He has loyal friends, admirers and a support base.

I would say, he dealt with things pretty damn well.

5. meev

meev Groundskeeper

@Nemrut: Oh I totally agree on that front. That's what I mean about the characterization. All the characters are really kinda flat, and they're all really way too nice about everything. All the character flaws and interpersonal conflict are basically removed unless it's for comedy purposes or it involves 'bad guys' (who seem to have stolen all the character flaws from the good guys).

Basically what this fic needs and needed ages ago is Aizen, only it needed canon Aizen who was a master manipulator and everybody thought was the best thing since sliced bread till he stabbed them in the back. Ichigo as the good guy who nevertheless people view as this grating anti-authoritarian loose cannon versus Aizen who is actually the bad guy but everyone loves, with Ichigo trying to get close to the guy and reveal his bullshit without getting found out by Aizen himself, would have been pretty awesome IMO. I mean, there's your conflict right there. But now even if that became the overarching plot it's kind of already solved by the fact everybody apparently knows Aizen's an asshole who's planning something and all he'd have to do is outright tell them what Aizen's planning.

6. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Are there any good, or at least readable Dragon Age fic?

To Republic, about HTTYD fica, well, I still have to find a good one, found some almost decent ones, starting well but just going down later. i disliked Hitchups, so much lost potential. And all the author's other stories are almost the same. I'm trying to write one HTTDY, it's premise is a thread in here. I've changed somethings and swrote the first scene, but it's still far from anything.

7. Nemrut

High Score:
    Actually, Ichigo feeling forced to infiltrate Aizen's organization by fulfilling Aizen's orders while trying to cling to his morals and to try to save his friends would have been more to my liking but basically wishing for a completely different story seems silly.

@Invictus: Victory at Ostagar is excellent, one of the best pieces of fanfiction I have ever read. Long and complete. We even have a thread here

8. meev

meev Groundskeeper

Well yeah, that's what I'm saying. That's exactly what I thought this story was going to be early on but then it got dragged out in nothing happening and everyone apparently doesn't like Aizen and Ichigo is on his way to being beyond reproach so all the conflict possible is basically already gone.

9. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

@ Invictus
    Like Nemrut said... Victory at Ostagar is definitely the best one in that fandom, especially considering its length.

Other than that I have two other stories that I think are worth reading.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7300672/1/Corin
    (DA 1, A retelling of the last third of Dragon Age with a heavy focus on he interaction of the Male Cousland and the Queen)
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7566523/1/Chains-of-Blood
    (DA2 , retelling of DA2)

Edit: Sorry has been some time since I read Corin and it seems I only remembered the last few chapters.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  10. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Started reading Vitory at Ostagar. It's good, but the Loghain/Cousland, is that a pairing, really? I like Loghain, and he is a deep character, but there are limits. Oh well.

Also just finished reading A Blessed Liftime posted chapters, and it's amazing, wonderfull really. Definitely library worth. If it isn't already, deserves a 5/5. Escape Artistry is also an excelent fic, also library worth, with the author getting Batman and WW perfectly, 4.5/5, I really liked the ending, but it also hurt, more than a little. I can't remeber who posted them here, but thank you very much.

11. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is a pretty terrible description of what is honestly an awesome DA1 story. Probably my favorite DA1 story, actually.

Corin is a work that starts in the last 3rd of the story of DA1. Corin is a semi-political, fairly action-laden, romantic fic with great characterization, interesting plots and a pleasant, well-paced writing style. It's one of my favorite pieces of recent fanfiction.

The MC (Corin Cousland) is one of my favorite characters in recent fiction as well.

Hell, The arch-demon isn't even defeated until FAR into the story. And the way THAT is handled is great.

12. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Really? I was reading that for a bit but stopped. Maybe I should pick it up again.

Oh stop it, you. :eek:
    Edit: I haven't seen any review out of you :p

13. blab

blab Second Year

Really? Why?

14. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Because he is very well written. He an believable, multidimensional character that really fits into the world.

And Thx(sorry?) WD, seems like I should reread that story.

15. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I'm laughing so fucking much right now, I'm an idiot. You are R-Dude. I'm JeanDanjou, Invictus was already taken so I used my TWCenter name.

About Escape Artistry, the last chapter is excelent and jumped a story that was 3.75 to 4.5, because a good ending is hard as fuck. And the bondage element gets dropped, and even this element made sense since the creator of WW was really into bondage. No, really.

16. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Oh. Carry on, then.

17. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5621668/2/Naruto-Sensei
    I'm not sure if you guys would enjoy it as much as i did, but here it is. Basically Naruto is born a few years before the Kyuubi attack and was on the same team as Itachi. This takes place while he is a Jounin and leads his own team, which consists of Hinata, Shikamaru, and Sasuke.

18. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Please tell me there isn't anything between Naruto and Hinata. I'm getting a serious squick vibe from those two.

19. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

I hope not, but i'm afraid it might become the OTP. I don't normally have a problem, but its to big of an age gap. So to answer the question, maybe.

20. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I like Naruto sensei fics although I can't think of any quality ones. I don't think I have read one yet where Hinata is on Narutos team that doesn't end up with them together at the end, which is annoying.

Not open for further replies.