1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Dewgs

Dewgs Squib

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9553296/1/A-Push

Sorry if this has already been recommended/posted!

At 13k words it's not quite large enough to recommend to the library (I think, sorry long time lurker).

Set during the rebellion of the North. Sansa makes gives action to a decision she contemplated in the books. Anything more would spoil it. I'm really enjoying it so far! 5/5

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. Blank402

Blank402 Second Year

Disengagement

The killing of Mad King Aerys Targaryen by person or persons unknown worked out well for virtually everyone, including Jaime Lannister. Disgraced for failing his king (if only they knew) and tasked with protecting no-longer-a-Princess Rhaenys Targaryen until she can be wed to Robert’s eldest legitimate son (whenever Robert gets around to producing one), Jaime must go north with the Starks (a prickly, judgmental lot) to look after her. Cold, bored, and guarding a five-year-old, Jaime might yet learn to be a truly honourable knight – but even far from King's Landing and Cersei, his dangerous secrets might catch up with him. Worse, his aren't the only dangerous secrets in the North…

Only two chapters so far but really good.

3. Aggrocrag

Aggrocrag Second Year

Solid start. Accurate to the source so far, just needs more story development. Then again, Westeros is a detail-rich world that needs its due.

4. Hal

Hal Professor

Disengagement recently updated.

5. Aggrocrag

Aggrocrag Second Year

Disengagement updated.

6. Hal

Hal Professor

The author's username is misleading.

7. meev

meev Groundskeeper

They'll probably start slowing down pretty soon. New stories always have a boost of motivation behind them that rarely lasts. But yeah the update rate is pretty phenomenal, especially considering its quality.

Then again it's apparently all going to be set pre GoT, and we've already covered two years, so maybe it'll be a short enough story that that won't be an issue.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  8. Hal

Hal Professor

In his author's note it says he's got some RL issues going on so the next chapter is going to take longer. But I certainly hope it will pick up afterwards.

Edit:
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10096469/1
    Wherein the Prince of Dragonstone dies on the Trident, and yet his spirits lives again. And again, and again, and again. Or: Rhaegar gets Groundhog Day'd, and it goes about as well as you'd expect - warnings for angst, dark-ish themes, and general craziness.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  9. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

These two seem pretty promising:

The Luck of Fools by Imperium42.
    AU set during A Storm of Swords. En route to the Twins, Lord Jason Mallister intercepts a letter from Tywin Lannister to Walder Frey regarding the planned Red Wedding, and the course of the war is changed beyond remedy. Points of view will change on a chapter-by-chapter basis just as in the books, with chapters from Jason, Sandor, Robb, etc. Sansan will occur at some point.

'Sansan', which is Sandor and Sansa romance, is usually shit but it hasn't gotten to that stage yet. Worth a look. 4/5

Heart of Winter by RosalindSparrow.
    Sole survivor of the mysterious fire that destroyed Godric's Hollow, Harry Potter is taken in by Lord and Lady Stark and raised with their own children. The last heir to a strange and seemingly doomed House, Harry is determined to uncover the truth behind his parents' deaths, however ominous, despite numerous warnings that some things are better left unknown. Could the dark secrets of the Potters help him win the game of thrones?

The Potters are cast as a noble house in the North, mysterious and insular. Seems like a promising start so far. 4/5

10. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Second one has some potential, but the writing needs some work. And I'm curious to see how the HP characters are going to get reinvented here.

11. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I've been following it primarily because of the lack of good and updating HP/GoT fics. It's decent, but it's not spectacular. Right now it's just sort of a canon-rehash with an OC named Harry, since aside from the prologue, there really hasn't been magic.

12. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Got up to date in Disengagement. Enjoying it quite a bit so far.

Piper At the Gates of Dawn reminds me of the 20 Times Uzumaki Naruto Didn't Die. Poor Rhaegar. =(

13. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Heart of Winter is impressively not shit. Will be following.

Disengagement is fine in the technical details, but by fuck is it boring. Something interesting had better happen soon.

14. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

Yea, I enjoyed Heart of Winter. I just hope Harry Potter elements won't become to prevalent. I just don't find them that interesting, but I think Cxjenious may have colored my perception.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  15. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Speaking of which...:sherlock:

16. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Also, news to anyone who hasn't seen. From Cxjenious' author page:

So things are looking good.

17. Blank402

Blank402 Second Year

Another update for Disengagement.

Now that the Greyjoy Rebellion is popping off things should get a little more interesting. Small detail though: the Greyjoy Rebellion is supposed to take place six years after Robert's Rebellion and in this chapter Jaime says it's been four years.

Hal
  18. Hal

Hal Professor

It'd be epic to read about Ser Jaime storming the walls of Pyke.

Some fics I enjoyed
    http://archiveofourown.org/works/243250
    by what right does the wolf judge the lion -- ned stark takes the iron throne, and with it, a lannister for a wife.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/490030
    Viserys brings the Stark girl Joffrey's head. He's surprised by her reaction to this. He'd expected her to be upset, but she seems quite delighted by this. What a strangely charming creature she is, even if she is a Stark.

Cloudy has a lot of good fics and an amazing update rate aswell.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4457888/CloudyDream

19. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

Thanks to Aegon VIs recomendations, I have a new OTP, Viserys/Sansa for the win.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  20. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Nvm, spoilers..