1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Yeah to me their characters are so tied up in their powers that I can't help but feel bad for them going on. And there's another problem:
    Cauldron. They might not just want to use Slender, but do to him what they (allegedly) did to Gray Boy. I can't remember where I read this but it was said that they manipulated Glastig Uiane into taking him out because he was just eating up too many capes that they could use during the apocalypse. Might be the same for Taylor, especially if she's getting rid of the "pollution' effect that the Case 53s had.

I'm sure they would prefer her alive (use her like Glastig, especially if people getting second trigger events around her keeps happening)but she might be too dangerous if she gets her hands on Sveta's power.

2. Dellez

Dellez Seventh Year

Nematomorpha updated earlier today with a sizeable chapter. Nothing too interesting actually happens, but it's very enjoyable to read. With the occasional updates, I think it's the most interesting active story. New chapter.

3. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Weaver Nine got some rapid fire updates. We finally got to see Weaver and her "Nine". Holy shit they sound like a bunch of badasses, and I can't wait to learn more about them. Plus all the speculation on just who the members are from descriptions.

4. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

I'm loving Weaver Nine so far. Taylor, Jack, and Bonesaw are fucking awesome, and just keep getting more and more so with every new chapter. Hoping for some more quick updates.

5. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

According to the Author it's gonna be awhile, and these three were to tide us over.

6. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Well, they just popped out another one. The beginning part, with Coil, made me laugh hysterically.

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

8. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

You've been hurt too much Oz.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Weaver is Big Boss. That is all.

10. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Manager updated and the author decided that Taylor using her latest shard the way that it's original owner did would just be far too much awesome for the world *sobs*.

Seriously, Taylor is going to be OP no matter what you might as well embrace it.

11. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Finally got around to reading Weaver Nine. Put it off a while because I was expecting to see an evil Taylor going around killing everyone, but I really love the way Jack is still a complete sociopath and Taylor is still a ruthless hero.

Loving the way everyone thinks her true form is the bugs. Kinda like The Siberian.

Fantastic story so far.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

12. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Can someone explain Worms in general to me, without spoiling much?

I'm looking for a new series to get into and this sounds promising...I'm getting a Kick-Ass sorta vibe out of what I've read so far, like super-heroes in a real world but dark and gritty.

13. theronin

theronin Order Member

There's no way to do it justice with a short summary to be honest, but yea something like that I guess. Just read it. You won't regret it.

14. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

It's not really just dark and gritty, that's pretty much the understatement of the year.

15. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Worm is about a bullied teenage girl who gains the power to control bugs. She aspires be a hero but accidentally becomes a villain instead.

It's more complicated than that, but that's the basic premise.

16. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

The quick and dirty summary is "Superpowers started appearing in the 1980s, followed shortly by actual Kaiju. The world is rapidly going to shit. In 2011, a bullied girl gets the power to control bugs and goes out to try and be hero. Turns out, she makes a much better villain."

I don't want to spoil it, but it's basically a deconstruction of superhero universes, where giant kaiju are slowly destroying human civilization, Africa is an anarchic hellhole, China is trying to conquer the world, Russia is largely dead, and the US is falling apart at the seams.

The story follows Taylor Hebert, a bullied 15 year old who gains superpowers, tries to be a superhero, and then makes a series of remarkably bad decisions that just so happened to be the best options she had available.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  17. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Good summary by Agayek. Only thing I'd add is that in the Worm universe there are tens of the thousands of people with powers across the world. Certainly not just a handful as is in a lot of superhero universes.

Definitely read it. And don't get turned off by the first few chapters (which I maintain seem a bit poorly done in comparison to the rest of the fic).

18. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

It's commonly called 'Things Get Worse: The Web Serial'. For the most part, that's accurate. A horribly bullied girl named Taylor Hebert triggers in the aftermath of a prank, and gains the ability to control insects and other simple creatures. She decides that she's going to become a superhero, and goes out one night to fight crime.

Instead, she becomes a supervillain.

Worm is a story about the best of intentions, in a world where nothing is black and white.

It takes place in an alternate universe called 'Earth Bet', where sometime in the 80s(?) people started getting super powers, after the appearance of a flying golden man that only ever spoke to name himself - Scion. What followed was the golden age of superheros. Wars stopped, and aside from the inevitable villains, humanity prospered, for the most part. But this didn't last long, because the Endbringers appeared: three giant, phenomenally powerful creatures that attack in cycles. Cities were destroyed, landscapes were rearranged, and the idea of a global economy failed hard.

Prepare to lose a week or so. It's very, very long.

For stories, I recommend:

An Imago of Rust and Crimson : A crossover with Mage: The Awakening. So far, it's very well written. You don't have to know anything about Mage to read it, and it actually sparked my interest in the RPG.

Copacetic : Post-series, Taylor tries to live a normal life, but nothing is ever easy. Updates slowly, but they're usually fairly long. The author announced retirement from fanfiction, but says they're defiantly going to finish Copacetic before they start original projects.

Goblin Queen : One of many, many Exalted crossovers. Taylor is a Raksha (?), which basically lets her narrate reality, among other things. Aside from a confusing bit where it's implied that
    Tattletale is forced to sleep with Coil so he'll keep the current timeline
    , which seems noncannon and everyone now refuses to talk about, it's mostly upbeat.

Malign : A crossover with Soon I will be Invincible. Taylor's Dad is Dr.Impossible. It's been pretty enjoyable so far.

My Friends : Taylor triggers with the ability to create Friends, Dolls that have their own superpowers. I didn't expect to like it, but it's actually very good. The dolls are created by using a bit of Taylor's personality, and you can see how much it's messing her up. Recently, she's getting better.

Polarity and Attraction : Taylor has the ability to create magnetic fields, or something. It's very well written.

Silencio : Taylor is a mime. Hilarity ensues. It's worm, but much more light heated.

The way of the sword : Elder Scrolls crossover. Taylor is aided by the Hoon Ding, the Make-way God, and becomes an Ansei. It's fucking awesome.

There's a few others I might post later.

And since they're all on Spacebattles, a warning about that site:

Spacebattles is a pretty repressed forum with mods that border on thought police territory. It can be a nice place to visit, but be prepared for general stupidity and raging whenever someone mentions anything that can look sexual if you squint, especially when a character is under 18, no matter how much sense it makes in context. But the stories are worth dealing with the bullshit, since you don't have to register. Just remember that, every time a post makes you want to hurt someone.

19. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been really enjoying A Cloudy Path which is a Worm/Supreme Commander crossover where Taylor triggers with the Tinker specialization of Aeon Tech.

20. theronin

theronin Order Member

If we are plugging favorites, Carnage is by far my favorite worm fic to date.

Not open for further replies.