1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Heleor, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Some fun bits, but ultimately just a really daft, hammy, throwaway story. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but Gatiss can do better with that brief - his Crimson Horror episode last year was gloriously daft, and it was one of the best episodes of the series (admittedly, not a massive stretch in series 7).

2. Jpzh2d

Jpzh2d Disappeared

"Has anyone ever punched you in the face?"
    "No"
    "Well, it's a good thing I'm here".

That was probably the funniest part of the episode. I like the cynical doctor, i just hope he gets given a good episode where he can show how good he is.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I did hear from a guy who managed to read the script leaks that the next ep is supposed to be pretty intense.

4. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

"I'm the Doctor, and this is my spoon." I giggled.

5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Did I miss something? I really hope I missed something. All that fantastic atmosphere and dialog and jumping about and the plot just deflates at the end like that. Because if the point was there is no monster then WTF was the thing under the blanket?

6. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Their fear of something being there? Or a future baddie?

Jenna Louise Coleman was great this episode.

7. Jpzh2d

Jpzh2d Disappeared

I thought that was a decent episode. Sat on my bed watching it in the dark, so it was kinda creepy at first. Hopefully the thing under the blanket was a future monster rather than something the writer forgot to explain. Or like Jif88 said it could be their fear of something being there.

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It would be one of the best episodes ever if not for a very confusing ending. Too many things that can't be easily explained by what was suggested as a solution.

And a female voice in a barn sounded familiar. Any guesses?

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I liked this one. Bed monster freaked me the fuck out. The fact that the whole thing went unresolved even more so.

10. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Watching right now. Ass cheeks are a quivering in trepidation.

Edit: That was awesome, 5/5, no complaints from me. Best episode of the season thus far.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  11. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Felt like I was watching an entirely new show at first.

Tardis just went to Gallifrey guys.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  12. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Solid episode. A really solid episode. Best of the season, so far. I feel like I don't really need to sing its praises - it was really well done. I really like whenever Doctor Who takes a departure from its usual style, and tackles a new concept (specifically with a horror-like theme), it usually ends up awesome. The weeping angels, for example.

Maybe. It sounded a hell of a lot like Jackie Tyler to me, but it might just be my mind playing tricks on me.

13. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

I had a vague idea it was Jenny, but odds are it's a throw-away character.

Solid episode, though it lapsed a bit in the middle after leaving Rupert. Up until that point, it was arguably up there with Blink. It's a classic Moffat plot - reminded me of Blink, Silence in the Library and the original (before we knew more about them) Silence - but unlike last week when I was complaining about overuse, the creepy quality is more than enough to make me not care about the repetition. The lack of reveal of what it was worked nicely.

I liked having my headcanon (sorta, I hadn't pegged the exact twist) confirmed at the end there.

14. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Hope it's not a throwaway scene for emotional effect. I would like to see The Doctor's past explored more. We've seen his death. Show us his life before he became a renegade, or at least inform us of it.

15. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    ^Agreed. Young Doctor, before he took the name of Doctor. Would be awesome.

And I don't think that final scene in the barn was on Gallifrey. It's the barn from the Day of the Doctor, where War Doctor set up the Moment. He leaves Gallifrey with the moment and goes to that barn, as the interface tells him, he walked for miles.

A race as ancient as the Time Lords most likely colonised several worlds, with Gallifrey as the jewel with the Academy.

Also, the two parental figures trying to coax him out of the barn and into the house to sleep with the other boys, suggests he's in some sort of children's home. If I'm remembering my old Who, the Doctor didn't take up his name until he was about 90 years old, and we see the First Doctor for the first time when he's around 200. So there's a lot of years to see the child become the man.

And also how he did, in fact, end up at the Academy.

16. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I recall an episode where the Master was reminiscent about Gallifrey (in 20xx) and how he spoke of it implied that the Doctor and Master knew each other when they were younger.

Could those two be the Masters parents?

Edit: Maybe not.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  17. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Probably not. Early Who (no idea which episodes) mentions the Doctor's pre-academy years as growing up on a mountain somewhere. Add that to the 'End of time' convo with the Master about the Master's family estates on Mt. Perdition, we can pretty much assume that the Doctor's family lived nearby.

That barn is pretty far from the background mountains (which don't look at all like what the master described).

My guess, this was one of the times he "ran away" after looking into the untempered schism (which explains the crying and the whole doctor is afraid of the dark business), and that those peeps were unimportant Academy caretakers of some sort.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  18. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Curiously flat episode tonight. I was expecting a bank heist involving time-travel to be a little more imaginative and adventurous. Not bad precisely, but it didn't keep me riveted to the tv.

19. Jpzh2d

Jpzh2d Disappeared

It reminded me a bit of God Complex for some reason. Bit of a boring episode, seemed like they were robbing a local corner-shop rather than the most secure bank in the universe.

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Yet another lackluster episode. They're really commited to not doing anything interesting with the Doctor's char or the show's direction. Which is such a shame because Capaldi is bringing a lot of really great stuff to the role and the writers are just missing chances to exploit it.