1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Word of God Thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ryuugi Shi, Mar 28, 2010.

1. funkytoad

funkytoad Fifth Year

Edit: Didn't fully read that post lol.

2. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

Should be interesting what happens with the whole Winter Knight thing.

I mean assuming that the other Harry is not a WK and assuming Harry does not get out of the job in the next book, the other universe will suddenly have 2 WKs and the original book universe will have none.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, I expect the connection to still be there, and Winter survived without its Knight for years before Harry took the job. I doubt there'll be any major consequences from that.

Oh wait, what am I saying? This is Jim Butcher. Of course there will be consequences.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

d
    I think the argument could be made without too much difficulty. I'm not saying I'm on board with it, yet, but...

Dresden's potential is there, to be that powerful. We know that Cowl was more than willing to attempt the Darkhallow, which implies he'd be willing to do a lot of things for raw power that canon!Dresden would not (or didn't) do. Cowl might also have sought power specifically and found some, which Dresden didn't do in canon. Not to mention the potential for him to be older than Dresden in years by spending time in parts of the Nevernever where time flows differently (especially as he'd have Lea as a godmother if he is Harry).

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I agree with Cheddar, but I'd also add that while Harry alone doesn't have the power to do what Cowl did, that's not taking into account the mantles that he wears. Soulfire, Winter Knight and Demon Reach.

If Alterna!Harry wears different mantles of similar power, he could easily do what Cowl did.

Not to mention, Harry made that comment about McCoy when he didn't know that he was the blackstaff. Which also brings up the unreliable narrator thing... yeah.

I'm not convinced that Cowl = Harry, but I also don't think we can discount it based on anything we currently know. Or at least what Zeelthor said, I might be forgetting something.

6. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Hey guys I'm not exactly clear on which decision in Grave Peril the author of that goodreads post is referring to, which one is that and how could it potentially affect the future?

7. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I'm assuming the "right" thing that Harry did. Saving Lydia from Bianca.

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I imagine the thing he did was give up Susan to keep the peace.

9. Zeelthor

No way he'd do that.

10. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Hmm, if it was giving up Susan, then he would have stayed with her afterwards. Also there would have been no war with the Red Court. Those are some pretty momentous changes.

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It could have been that, but it could also have been choosing not to use the Sword to try and fight the Nightmare. Charity may have died at that point and the Sword would not have become vulnerable, thus not falling into the hands of the Leanansidhe and thus not almost being used to kill Lydia. She later dies and Susan is saved because Michael may or may not go to the ball, in either case he has the Sword, which makes the possibility of saving Susan much more likely.

12. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

I wonder how a lack of war would change Alt!Dresden. The constant conflict was a pretty big part of why Harry gained a lot of his skills and fighting ability.

Damn it, now I want both the next book and the one after.

13. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Am I the only who doesn´t really like this idea of Dresden getting summoned into an alternate universe? Hehas not dealt with the after effects of his coming back to life/being the Winter knight and, with the exception of Murphy, still hasn´t really interacted with the rest of the cast. I want some scenes with Molly, with the Merlin, with Ebenzar and with the Gatekeeper and not yet another semi-solo adventure.

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

All of this can (and probably will) happen in Peace Talks (book 16). The Alternate Universe bit is meant to be Mirror Mirror (book 17).

15. Cteatus

Cteatus Seventh Year

First line of Peace Talks. So...huh. This should be interesting.

16. Zeelthor

Oh wow. Yeah... Thomas really, really can't feel good about the idea of having a kid.

And, as per usual, Jim is an evil evil man. xD

17. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Plot idea, post apocalypse trilogy. Maggie and Thomas' kid running around together getting into trouble with beings they really shouldn't be talking to, only for said beings to treat them with kid gloves after realising who they're related to.

18. Zeelthor

Let's not forget the fact that Justine's not exactly stable. Not only is the kid going to have to deal with its Hunger, but there's also a chance of it inheriting whatever is up with Justine.

If ever there was a case where abortion sounded like the ideal option, it's this one.

19. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He (just for convenience, obviously might be a she) may inherit Justine's condition, whatever it is, or he might not. And he'll have to deal with his vampiric nature, sure, but so did Thomas, and that won't be until he's a teenager at least. Not to mention Thomas isn't going to be like Lord Raith and not inform his child about their nature until it's too late. He might even turn out like Inara did.

20. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

"Mr. Marcone, Day Dreams has been hit," a man in a snappy black suit informed the Baron of Chicago nervously.

Marcone frowned. That was his third underground club selling the new magical hallucinogenic drug that had been taken down. "Do we know who is responsible yet?"

"It was two kids," the man said, sweat clear on his brow.

Marcone considered the situation for a moment. "Do I not have guards that can manage two children? I suppose they were special in some way." At his underling's nod, he continued patiently, "And the undead centurion I have at Day Dreams was overwhelmed."

"N-No, sir. He...refused to stop them."

Marcone simply stared at the man. It was enough to express his displeasure.

"The kids were Margaret Dresden and Moira Raith...sir."

Marcone closed his eyes and leaned forward on his desk so he could rest his chin against his steepled fingers. "Give the centurion a raise and close down all Day Dream operations. We will have to move them out of state."

"But, surely, the warriors from Valhalla..." the underling trailed off seeing his boss shake his head.

"It is not in Chicago's interest to provoke their fathers," Marcone said, as visions of seemingly sentient fire and the bite of steel across flesh played in his mind. "Those damned meddlesome kids," he cursed in rare show of emotion.

----