1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Quality Naruto fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Inert, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Yes, he would. What seems to be your question? For the last year or two the Bijuu had been smacked around by everyone and their dog. They're strong, but Kage level ninja are shown to go toe to toe with them, with godlike Tier being able to stomp them easily.

Edit: Goddamit, look what you made me do. Take that shit elsewhere please.

2. DC

DC Groundskeeper

EDIT by Minion: Link removed, because of copyright violation.

Just wanted to put this in if anybody's interested in the last movie or the lead up to it, considering that Kishimoto's said that they're both added to canon. I'm off to watch it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  3. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I would recommend a good Naruto fic, but that fandom atm seems to be drier then a nun's nasty, so instead, as someone who would easily lose a cock-off on Naruto canon, be it either anime of manga, I just want to add how disappointed I am with this argument.

For me, as someone whose introduction and main basis of knowledge to Naruto was at the start of canon and not the latest shonen shippuden shit, Sarutobi and the Sannin were the be all and end all, (plus Hanzo, the one who didn't get his arse kicked by Mifune in a bullshit filler episode). So for someone who isn't up to date, I personally see Jiraiya and Sarutobi as the cream of the crop, and die a little inside everytime when I read that the latest incarnations of the Hokage can kick their arse with their eyes closed.

My headcanon will now ignore all of the latest bullshit Naruto storyline, and instead put my faith in the Naruto verse when the God of Shinobi title meant the God of all fucking Shinobi. (a.k.a Life in Kohona's ANBU)

Canon factual all not, that is the way I see it.

4. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

I just read an autism induced orgasm in the form of words across three pages. Jesus christ don't you two have anything better to do then argue pointless shit in a fic recommendation thread?

Spacebattles exists for a reason, hell, pm's exist for a reason.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wanted to be polite when replying to you, but no.

Fuck you.

6. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

He isnt wrong that its a bit off topic for the thread, despite the condescending tone.

Also Aekiel, nice profile pic, shame Lackadaisy Cats hasnt updated in forever.

7. mortalone

mortalone Sixth Year

More than 3 pages, this is what the Naruto fandom is all about, and fuck you, I have a bigger dick.

I'm perfectly happy taking this discussion elsewhere -- I joined this discussion 3 pages after the thread was hijacked -- but as a closing remark I would like to point out that you are making a number of assumptions that are not directly supported by the manga in arriving at that conclusion.

-------

I still contend that I can't think of a strong!Sarutobi who I like in fanfiction. There is a distinction between being the strongest combatant and the most skilled. This is almost a rhetorical question, but are there any portrayals of Sarutobi out there where he is strong by virtue of skill rather than power?

My beef with strong!Sarutobi in fanfiction -- including Shezza's fic -- is that he's always either given a gimmick or just super powered up. "Oh, there's a biju? Let me just smack it with my stick." Where's "The Professor" at?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  8. DC

DC Groundskeeper

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9242580/1/Failings-and-Misunderstandings

Just going to drop this here. Picked it up a couple of weeks ago before some exams came up. I don't remember too much about it, but the main premise is that Team 7 get kicked out in the first exam because everybody hates Naruto. Orochimaru goes for Hinata instead. Blatant canon pairings, but the usual shtick is so bad it seems good in comparison. I think one of the high points was that Tsunade agreed to try and heal Orochimaru for some reason.

That's pretty much all I can remember. It's decently written with good grammar and spelling, but it's still pretty mediocre. On a percentile scale, that makes it very good.

9. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

God I can't stand NaruHina, the pairing feels so weak and forced, I never thought I'd say this but at this point I'd even prefer Naruto pining after Sakura.

10. mortalone

mortalone Sixth Year

NaruHina was ruined by the fandom. It was the "cute" pairing back around the chuunin exams in part 1. Kishimoto didn't do the things he should have to develop it. Instead, we get the fanon gushing and gushing and gushing about woobie Naruto and woobie Hinata healing each other and what have you.

And am I the only person who finds it ironic that the fanon Naruto/Hinata relationship is oddly similar to the pre-timeskip Sasuke/Sakura relationship? Fanon!Naruto is a prodigy who is kind of a dick, like Sasuke, and fanon!Hinata likes him because...?

At this point the only characterizations of Hinata I enjoy are the insane ones like in People Lie and... what was that other fic? My Little Black Book? Or am I confused? Haven't read that one in years.

I must confess, I would love to see a RoadToNinja!Hinata more often. I might actually like the character and the pairing.

11. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Hinata's Little Black Book. And Naruto:Fuujinroku had Hinata stepping on the crazy train.

12. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And then suddenly Ninjas had an awesome Hinata imo. Can't recall the pairing.

13. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I think in any fandom, a protagonist/dandere pairing is almost always boring. You have a quiet, shy girl who has had a crush on a guy, then one day he finds out and they live happily ever after. Throw in a bit of him going around to everyone who bullied her (eg, Hyuga Hiashi, Neji, etc) and kicking their asses. The only real potential in that type of romance is fluff.

And completely agree with mortalone here. It very much is a similar relationship to SakuraSasuke. Somehow people love to portray it as purer, but really, Hinata just has a massive fangirl crush on Naruto. Which is why it's very boring to see that actually turn into a real relationship.

14. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

Worse still, since Naruto liked Sakura and there wasn't a clear indication of when that stopped, seeing Naruto date/marry her later feels like he settled for her because he couldn't get Sakura. Or Sasuke as some fans would say,

Meh, I guess it depends on the last movie to see if that is the lasting impression we get.

15. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

So are there any actual good fics out there with a well-written Hinata where she actually undergoes some real character development and grows as a character? In a fandom as large as this one there has to be a few, right?

16. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

17. Hal

Hal Professor

Kakashi lost Obito's powerup at the end of his fight.

18. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    God damn, I open that and find my pet peeve immediately.

"There's going to be a lot of Japanese in this story, so here's a list of terms translating Japanese to English."

If you're writing in English... just write in English. I just don't understand the desire to throw in a random Japanese word because it sounds cool or something.

19. funkytoad

funkytoad Fifth Year

It's like the people who use Boruto instead of Bolt.

20. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I suppose you'd also say that the title of the manga is "Fishcake" not "Naruto" because if your not reading it Japanese it should all be read in English.

Perhaps dialogue should be more like this.
    "Fishcake and Sunflower got married and decided to name their son Bolt after his uncle Skrew."

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014