1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Quality Naruto fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Inert, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I found it quite funny, actually. Sakura for Hokage and Sasuke a housewife? Trololo

2. Satan

Satan Third Year

Any scary stories?

This is the only one I have on my alerts list: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4010912/1/The-Curse

Team 7 is unexpectedly assigned an S-Ranked Mission involving an unsolved mystery of 10 years. An eerie adventure that will test their teamwork, strengths, and greatest fears. Do you believe in Curses? SasuSaku minor NaruHina

Naruto - Rated: M - English - Horror/Mystery - Chapters: 31 - Words: 262,017 - Reviews: 1432 - Favs: 721 - Follows: 721 - Updated: Jun 7, 2013 - Published: Jan 14, 2008 - Sakura H., Sasuke U., Naruto U.

3. DC

DC Groundskeeper

Are there any low-powered Naruto stories? One where he has no Kyuubi, no bloodline, no giant summons - just weapons and grit and kickass determination? Atlas sort of counts, but I'm pretty sure everybody and their mother's read that.

4. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I haven't read Atlas, and I don't intend to.

5. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Never even heard of Atlas. Or any story that fits those requirements 'cept maybe one I can't remember the name of that had Naruto incapable of using chakra at all, IIRC. So he had to be a 'real' ninja or something to compensate.

Edit: Nvm, just looked up Atlas. :rolleyes:

DC
  6. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

I'd be interested in some quality Anko-centric stories. Anyone know any?

7. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

8. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Anyone read 'Chance for a Prophecy'? What do you think of it is it worth reading?

9. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

Yeah, I've re-read it not long ago and it has one of the best Anko characterizations out there. Though the sequel is...well, it's good too, though a bit too grim-dark for me and I'm not certain I like where he's taking Anko's character.

Any other candidates for good Anko characterization perhaps? :D

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    First thing I see is a mistake in the summary.

/nopes out

11. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

Depends on your tastes really. Its almost a little too fluffy for mine, but credit where its due the author actually used canon Naruto i.e without making changes to his personality and unlike most time travel fic this didn't make me cringe.
    I'd rate it 2.5-3/5.

12. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

It's nothing truly outstanding, but it's decent if you have nothing to do and want to read something with some length. Naruto is IC and the other characters also seem to be themselves. Pretty much your standard "go back and try to change all the bad stuff" story, though.

13. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Inert wrote one that fits your bill exactly. Hurricane Suite; it's on FFNet.

14. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

It's damn good, Rep, give it a shot. It's got my personal favorite Naruto characterization, and even Anko is characterized amazingly. Writing isn't amazingly top notch, but it's not terribad either. Just try this story out.

15. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's one of my personal favorites but I feel compelled to warn you YMMV when it comes to Ino, others might like her but she's my single biggest gripe with the story. In my opinion the author goes to honestly ridiculous lengths to try and keep her in Narutos ballpark fighting like he does and it leads to ridiculous shit like her
    being called the "Hittokiri" of Konoha and being able to duel Kisame to nearly a standstill. Her and Narutos relationship is just stale as hell too, it reads like Harry and Ginny but sappier. The female characters he has the most fascinating interactions with are Anko and Yugito but Anko gets rapidly sidelined to focus on Ino and Yugito gets next to zero attention until the sequel after her introduction.

16. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I honestly don't mind it. It's a different take from canon, and she's better fleshed out than say, Sakura in canon. Anyway, not to get this thread too OT, as Kishimoto has been known to focus less on female characters in Naruto, apart from Ino and Anko, the sequel also has one of the best Hanabi characterizations I've seen in the fandom. I don't know why, but this story just manages to nail the "feel" of Naruto being Naruto, and giving him good tweaked-canon friends and mentors. The sequel does get a bit carried away, but Ino, Anko and Hanabi manage to make it work well overall. Also, his take on Itachi is one of the better ones I've seen. Shows him, even in the small glimpse we get of him, as a badass.

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm about 60 chapters into Vapors and can safely say that I recommend it. It's a combination of action, drama and slice of life in even enough ratios that you don't get bored with one before another crops up. Characterisation is top notch and while it does have some stations of canon it deals with them in interesting ways. It helps that the stations that rely on previous events happening (which didn't in this fic) are butterflied away while some remain the same (this helps Aiko's foreknowledge remain relevant without being overbearing).

The main character is important to the story, obviously, without being a Mary Sue and acts in a believable and consistent way throughout. I was actually quite surprised that it turned out as entertaining as it has because there are few clichés that are used to start the story off.

A definite 5/5 for me so far. I'll see what the ending is like before confirming that as final though.

18. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

I got to chapter 40 or so then stalled. I liked it ya but not enough to plow through 700k words.

19. mortalone

mortalone Sixth Year

There aren't many stories out there that give us a good take on Itachi, and most of the ones that do only give us a brief glimpse. Kraken's Ghost's twenty truths Naruto fic is one of the few that comes to mind -- and is also one of the few older stories that has aged well.

I would also cite Not Sick by Ser Serendipity. Available here: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9872274/1/Not-Sick

Pretty sure Not Sick has already been rec'd. Incidentally he also has an interesting fic starring Obito here (although updates are really slow):
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10151225/1/Obito-Sensei

Most of the good authors are fed up with Sharinhax nonsense eye magics and quite honestly I don't think Kishimoto used Sasuke and Itachi very well. There are so many holes in that backstory it's not funny.

20. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9166436/1/Small-Changes
    It isn't anything wonderfull but will do.