1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandom Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume Two]

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Antivash, Aug 19, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Sakura Thing
    I'd really like to see/hear the author's reasoning on the skill-flip between Sakura and Naruto. Because as much as I like Sakura, and I do, her being Jiraiya's student just feels wrong to me. That's Naruto's by right.

Other than that... 4/5, definitely recommendable to the library. Whether it'll pass muster is another question.. but an enjoyable read with quality writing and interesting characters nonetheless.

I really love the Kakashi stuff too.

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Sometimes I really wish I didn't hate Sakura as much as I do. It's clear to me that this fic is at least good (considering all the recs it's received) and it's equally clear that I would hate it.

Goddamit.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  3. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

4. frantic

frantic Boosted

This is the best Persona 4 fic in the entire fandom. Flat stop. It blows everything out in such a disgusting way that its like A Demon Among Devils all over again. Dojima, Chie, Yosuke - all of them feel more then canon, more interesting, and have more depth. There's also a lot of more interesting stuff because of Johnny Joestar instead of Narukami Yu.

Oh yeah, the premise.

Instead of Narukami Yu going to Inaba - Johnny Joestar does, after the tragic accident that ended his career. To escape both his father and his old life, he decides to live with his mother's brother, Dojima Ryotaro, and attends the local high school in the small town of Inaba.

5/5, once the plot advances more I'll probably post it For Review.

5. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  6. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Here are some fandoms not rarely seen that I've read and enjoyed.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3913384/1/A-Village-Hidden-In-Hope

Naruto botches his first attempt to summon and ends up in a land without Ninja. Now a bunch of monks called Jedi think he's up to no good, the only way home may require the Darkside aka the Fox, and home may no longer be there.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4052439/1/The-Truth-Decays

Edward Elric can't get back to his own world, so he tries to make a life for himself in the closest one he can find. Yep a nice quiet life, no military breathing down his neck or monsters trying to live forever, but then a kid in an orange jumpsuit...

So obviously, the first one is a Naruto/Star Wars crossover and the next one is FMA/Naruto crossover. Both I've enjoyed and there aren't any glaring cliches, grammar mistakes that I've come across so far.

Lastly:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10747980/1/Ghost-s-Guardian

Sarah Kerrigan was left for dead in New Gettysburg until Alaya intervened. Now, she's bonded to a smart-mouthed, white haired mysterious man. And what the hell is this about her being a magus?

A Star Craft/FSN crossover. Kerrigan accidentally summons Archer and the plot twists are nice.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  7. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

I can red Ghosts Guardian, good fic and it got pretty interesting in the latest chapter.

8. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

Canvas
    A YJ oneshot based on the premise of Superboy adopting Black Canary as his mentor since Supeman's not around.

9. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Whelp, now I love Superboy with mentor Black Canary stories.

10. blob

blob Seventh Year

I would also recommend this one - definitely one of the better SW crosses (well, as far as Naruto/SW crossovers go) around. I liked almost all of it, however the update rate is rather atrocious and it remains to be seen if taking the action into space will be done right - I think it will be much harder to write than Naruto being awesome on Tatooine.

11. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I don't know whether it improves later on, but Naruto being mothered (and him letting himself be mothered!) is one of my pet-peeves. It's fine if it's a very young Naruto, but this starts in the Chuunin Exam Arc. Naruto didn't latch onto Tsunami nor Tsunade in canon, so I don't know why he would do so (and so quickly!) with Shmi.

12. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I didn't get the feeling he was really mothered in the sense most fics go about doing it. That trope certainly annoys me too - where a protagonist who didn't get a proper childhood in canon gets adopted, loved and raised by someone else - but in this case, I feel Naruto didn't quite go through that. Sure, he's adopted into the family, but his role becomes more the protector and savior instead of someone who is "mothered".

Anyway, it's a fun fic, but nothing amazing. The narrative style (ie, the fact that the story is a series of explanations given to Jiraiya) is done pretty well. Allows for a lot of timeskips really. Wonder if the story would have been more immersive if it was written more conventionally.

Ghost's Guardian wasn't too bad either, but nothing special or particularly good so far, but the last two chapters have piqued my interest a bit more.

In other words, the scene with Alaya confronting the Overmind and the scenes of Rin and Sakura. It adds another dimension that I've never really seen done in any other Shirou/Archer centric crossovers.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Naruto isn't mothered in the story. He just uses the Japanese honorific system for describing Shmi (much like how the Obaasan honorific he uses for Tsunade translates to grandmother or granny in English but is merely used to describe an older female you are familiar with... I think).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  14. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

As everything in Japanese, "obaasan" is heavily contextual. As a standalone word, the closest thing it translates to is (a more polite form of) "old lady". It's the standard go-to when addressing an elderly woman whose name you do not know, just as "oneesan" is used for younger women. However, it's also the word people use to address their grandmother(s), a general term of matriarchal respect, and a way to obliquely insult women with regards to their age.

TL;DR - Direct translations are of limited use when it comes to Japanese

15. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I don't think it's my fault for getting the wrong idea here. o_O

16. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Bleach story where Ichigo is reincarnated as Kaien's son. Pretty good but only 1 chapter long. Seeing as it's a cwycross story expect a few more chapters than it will never be updated again.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11055340/1/

17. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I found an Avengers one shot in the style of a mock Vanity Article, which is pretty well written and expands on what Stark did inbetween IM 1 and IM 2. Definitely would recommend it.
    In the same vein, have this image gallery. It's got more fictional tabloids, newspaper covers, and so on.

18. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  19. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10158767/1/Uzumaki

Not sure if this has already been recommended, but it's Naruto/Fem!Sasuke and fairly well written.

It's not exactly a canon re-write, but in some ways an inverse canon re-write, with Naruto taking up aspects of Sasuke's role, and vice-versa (though both remain true to their canon characterisations). There's enough original material to keep it interesting, though, and some pretty significant divergences from canon have happened in the latest chapters.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  20. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?p=771401&highlight=10158767#post771401

Not open for further replies.