1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Anti-Cliche` Thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jon, Jul 13, 2006.

1. M. Shadow

M. Shadow Guest

Actually, no. I mean, sure, he often gets hufflepuff bundled in with being heir of all the founders, or with Gryffindor or Ravenclaw, but being heir solely to Hufflepuff isn't really done. For that matter, hufflepuff!Harry is rare enough to be anti-cliche. I think I've only read one fic that had him sorted into Hufflepuff, and I've read a fair amount of stories...

I love the idea of a "Vernon rescues Harry" story - talk about original. Especially since I very, very, rarely like Snape.

And I'd definitely read a halloween Harry story. Extra points if it is a character like Spock.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Flunkie!Harry. No matter how hard Hermione tried, Harry, in the end dropped out. -grins.- Easy way to get him sent to a certain school, which may or may not have a certain Fleur in a certain part of it. This of course occur's in the first year.

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, what you're saying is that Harry doesn't apply himself at all in first year, is forced to leave after the end of term exams, and then goes to Bauxbaton (sp) and it turns into a Harry/Fluer fic, despite him being 12?

Ok, a couple of questions would be, why would Dumbledore allow Harry to drop out of where he is under his control. Also, why would another school accept someone that failed their First Year exams. That just shows that they are either exceptionally lazy or stupid.

4. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

First question: I'm wondering as well.

Second question: if the Hogwarts staff was stupid enough to let the Boy-Who-Lived out of their hands, the Beauxbâtons (the accent is optional) staff would gladly accept him, failed exams or not. Imagine the publicity they would get...

Seriously, I can't imagine Dumbledore expelling a student because they've failed at their exams. If the worst comes to the worst, they'll have to repeat their year, I guess (cf. "Flint").

And about the Harry/Fleur thing... Well, as Mordecai said, he's only 12 at the time... In GoF, he's 14, not as remarkably small as he was at 12, and yet Fleur calls him a little boy. Seems compromised to me...

5. Mordecai

High Score:
    Of course, I hadn't even though about Flint, you're right there. I would think it would take at least failing a second time round to be asked politely to consider an alternative route for your education.

And the only way I can think of that Fluer and Harry would get together with Harry at that age would be Fluer wanting to have influence over a very famous and influencial person. Of course, thats assuming that he is famous or influencial outside of Britain.

Just a thought I had for an interesting plot twist, it wouldn't make a fic on its on, but it could be quite amusing. An apprenticeship fic. Where Harry has maybe read something about how much more successful former Apprentices are than normal school students in the real world. So he goes and tries to find someone he could apprentice to. But they all refuse, because they don't want the responsibility and fame that would come from having sole responsibility for the Boy Who Lived's education.

It could be quite amusing methinks.

6. Wisdom's Mountain

Wisdom's Mountain Sixth Year

A flunkie!Harry could still be done without him going to Beauxbatons, just have Harry take first year over and over again. I can just imagine it as a humor fic: Harry shaving in the first year dorms and all the kiddies looking on in awe, or being the first "first year" on the quidditch team in a century, at the age of 25.

7. Mordecai

High Score:
    Your right, that could be quite good as a humour fic.

8. Archer

Archer Fourth Year DLP Supporter

I really really love this one.

9. Jon

Romance at 12? Negative, we all know how that turn's out.

Dumbledore got a bad case of the Dragon Flu and it was left up to the Board of Bitches. <_<;.

And Yeah 'cause he's Harry Bl00min' Potter.

10. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

You want a Anti-Cliche?

A dark!Harry story that doesn't include the words 'delve' and 'foray' in the same sentence as "the Dark Arts".

It's just gotten so irritating. Almost every Dark!Harry story includes the phrase "...delved into the Dark Arts."

It's bad enough that authors use it, but even worse, most never use the word 'delve' aside from this case, meaning it's not even in their normal vocabulary. Thus, we can assume it's a goddamn trend/cliche, as bad as, if not worse than the "Griphook Effect".

11. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Here's a good one...

A smut fic with Hermione in it where she and her family AREN'T nudists. It gets on my nerves that a closeted bookworm would offer sexual advice and openly tell people that her parents and her roam around the world/their home completely naked.

12. Jon

Kinky. How was Pimp!Harry. <_<;. In the hall's of Hogwarts.

That one is strictly for Vash.

13. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I dont think I've used that in my stories. Any of them. I sure am lucky.

I have a few 'Anti-Cliches' but I might use them in the future, so I'll keep them under lock and key for now.

14. Black Rose

Black Rose Squib

In an attempt to reinforce their story that Harry attends St. Brutus, the Dursleys make Harry wear a suitably "criminal" outfit - either go the easy route and he wears prison gear, or try for something a little more intricate and he's dressed like an English OC figure (do some research and find a good one!). Obviously, they got the costume from Ethan's. Now Harry has detailed knowledge of various criminal skills, plus these urges that tell him to just kneecap that little fook Malfoy... or Creevy... or Weasley....

He probably shouldn't have any knowledge of criminal contacts, but he'd know how to find the kind of people he was looking for. Not Crime!Lord!Harry, but more Gradually!Hardening!Criminal!Harry.

15. Mordecai

High Score:
    Lol, I can see now. GuyFawkes!Harry who has a detailed knowledge of how NOT to burn down the Houses of Parliament, and a detailed knowledge of torture techniques, from having them used on him.

16. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Dude, they're French. It's probably both.

17. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Thanks. Long live the idiotic clichés.

18. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

And that in the Anti-Cliche Thread. Oh, the irony. :whipped:

On that topic, for an anti-cliche: Britain is one of the leading wizarding nations, the US are a colony...

19. Mordecai

High Score:
    I'll get bashed for this, but I do love that idea. I remember arguing with someone here once (such a strange occurance that isn't it;)) about it, they thought the US would be much more advanced and shit like that, I say that the basis of the wizarding world is remembering history. Spells don't change, new ones are created but I think its fair to bet that a lot of common spells, and quite a few rarer ones have been around for quite a few centuries at least. So when the US split off from Britain, I think it is fair to say that a lot of purebloods with big libraries would remove them back to britain. Ok, folk had their own knowledge, but that would lead to stilted localised teachings. Sure its possible that the US wizards are more integrated with the muggle government. But can you really see them being stupid enough to be under the control of a muggle President. Don't you think that someone like Bush would either reveal them all and have them burned at the stake, or use them in war.

In all honesty, following the above logic of history and rememberance being important to the ability of a wizarding nation, Britain would be one of the best off Western Nations in this aspect, because we haven't had a revolution in recent centuries, and there haven't been any major land battles in centuries fought in Britain. We also had the largest empire out of all the colonial countries, so we would have absorbed the largest amount of foriegn magical style and knowledge.

Im honestly not trying to trumpet Britains superiority here, just pointing out how the above logic applies.

20. Jon

That is true enough Mord. But if you take into America's amalgamation of most of the world's cultures, then they can make up for it for the most part.