1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Crikey. Take a look at this mates. The ass-pull in its natural environment. And it is just goooorgeous.

2. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    First, you're assuming there was "charm." Nowhere are we told that she actually has it. That is just Harry consoling Ron. That isn't canon fact. Second, Ron says things that he had no thought of saying a moment before quite a bit. In the same book, he tells Fleur the Bouillabaisse was great. He never touched it. He also lies about what happened during the second task—and although its assumption, it's a pretty fair one that he didn't plan his lie out ahead of time.

Also, Ron is not one to shy away from doing things in public that might shame him (or hurt someone else). To think that he'd be private is to read your personality into his.

"Veela immunity" is completely fanfiction. There is absolutely no basis for it in canon.

"Strength of character" has nothing to do with standing up to Veela. Otherwise, you're saying Ron was very weak in character, since a good portion of Hogwarts had no reaction to her.

Again, you're arguing from headcanon/fanon.

3. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I'm gonna have to say "Yeah, nah" in regards to Fleur ending up with Harry in that story. She'd fucking resent the shit out of him once she realizes why things went down the way they did. Simply because Bill is no longer an option for her, do you really think she's going to latch onto Harry now? Or that she'll be unable to tell Bill the truth about this? Sure, he might still not marry her or even want to date her, but the truth will out.

Personally, the only way I see this ending is Harry killing himself after he's done disposing of Voldemort. I'd rather hope Hermione would follow him along for the ride for her part in this.

4. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

Let's just agree to disagree. Yes, Harry was consoling Ron and while it probably not proof enough that Fleur has the charm, it is also not enough proof of her 'not' having it.

Just for the record... Harry does have a greater strength of will than Ron. Evidence: Harry's ability to throw off the Imperius.

5. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

There's no such thing as veela magic, at least in regards to anything that is an "aura" or "allure". It's 100% fanfiction stuff.

6. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

So I've read Letters, TLIL and wondering what other well done Harry/Fleur fics you guys can recommend?

7. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

I believe I said it wasn't ever meant to be a happy story and there would be quite a long way to go to get to whatever ending happens. The relationship would be secondary and quite fucked up as well. Harry basically has his back up against the wall when Dumbledore dies. He doesn't know where to start searching much less how he will kill him if he can make him mortal.

The potion offers him a solution even if he knows there is a good chance it will get him killed. He is hoping at the very least Voldemort will be mortal by then and best case he takes him down with him. It's meant to explore the unintended consequences of dabbling in such magic and the long term effects it has. I don't know what you were imagining I was suggesting was going to happen when I started by turning Ron into a vegetable and Harry destroying his relationship with what is essentially his family, but I assure you that it wasn't going to be a happy story with a happy ending where everyone makes up and lives happily ever after.

8. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Well, of course not everyone gets a happy ending in this one, that much is plain to see. I'm just worried you might end up giving Harry and Hermione such a thing, which would be quite off-putting.

9. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Go back to page 118, I asked the same thing. There's a bunch of recommendation on that page.

10. crimson sun06

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Veela_Charm

Don't know how many consider the wiki site to be legitimate but if it is then that's pretty conclusive.
    Fleur is listed as one of the users.

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

12. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

It's not conclusive in any way. A bunch of scenes that could be interpreted in several different ways, when added up, still doesn't make it true. And even if it was true, it's just a shit mechanic to base any sort of meaningful plot around.

13. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Honestly, I was planning on writing Harry/Fleur a bit like you might expect Harry/Bella to be written in that it was going to be really fucked up due to the nature of what happened. My idea doesn't seem to be very well received though so I doubt I'll write it. People seem to like their Harry/Fleur to be happy or at least just assume it will be. That actually might be true of fanfiction in general though.

Hermione...I've always thought what happened with her parents was really messed up even if she meant well. She got away with it too. I was putting Harry in a similar situation here in that he meant well but unlike in the books meaning well doesn't end up happily.

14. crimson sun06

I really don't know how many more ways can you interpret the Quidditch WC scene. They even had the referee dancing to their tunes getting him to forget about the game so much so that he had to be kicked to get him to focus again, eventually leading to their eviction.

Using it or not using it in a fanfic depends on the author. My point simply was we shouldn't be quick to disregard the possibility that Veelas use magic to influence men.

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's no doubt that Veela have a magical ability that, via whatever mechanism, makes men go gaga for them. See my post on the previous page.

But Fleur is not a Veela. She's merely descended from one. She's said to be extremely beautiful and people do stupid things around her, but there's nothing conclusive to say she's actively utilising a power to achieve this. She could simply look that amazing.

The best that can be used to support the "active power" idea is Harry's statement that she "turned on the old charm". But "charm" has a regular, non-magical meaning as well as a magical meaning. When Ron gives Harry a book entitled "how to charm witches" in DH, one assumes that the book isn't about how to use magic to rape people. It's using the word "charm" in its more regular use i.e. to act in a charming way.

This could perfectly well be the case with Fleur and Cedric: Fleur is fluttering her eyelashes, giggling at his jokes, playing with her hair, wearing provocative clothing, etc. She's not Charming Cedric with magic, she's charming him with herself.

This interpretation is further backed up by the fact that JKR normally capitalises the word "Charm" when it's magic, and here it's lower-case "charm".

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  16. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

^ Yep.

That's why Fleur is an interesting character to me. There's not much at all that's conclusive about her. She's open to interpretation. We have her actions - she talks down to people, she enters the Tournament, she marries Bill, she fights Voldemort. With each of those things, you're free to spin your own angle or take on her.

At the same time, you've got a framework to build around. Take one of those actions - like the fact that she chose to enter the Tournament - and expand it. Okay, so she entered - she talks about fame and glory and the prize money. "Thirst to prove yourself" is kind of thin - can you make it more interesting? Is she over-compensating for something? Maybe she's eying that prize money for a specific reason. Maybe her family is in dire straits. Maybe she has gambling debts and the Goblins are threatening her with indentured servitude - "improving her eenglish" being a flimsy cover.

I mean, that idea in particular isn't very good, because I literally just made it up as I was typing, but you get my point. Any fic that does Harry/Fleur, or really features Fleur in a significant way, needs to ask itself some questions about her character, and canon does a great job of giving you starting points without defining the boundaries so strictly there's a Right Way and a Wrong Way to write her.

17. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, I just got done watching Luther.

I think i'd like a sympathetic, brilliant killer Fleur a la Alice with HP being an equally brilliant Auror.

Has this been done? Can someone do it please? Kthnx.

18. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

I tried to like it. I tried really hard.

But I couldn't. The forced, unnatural, and frankly speaking, weak drama. The way the author wrote, as if he was trying to convince himself that Harry thought of Katie/Hermoine/Other Gryffindor girls 'like sisters'. The vomitus maximus inducing nicknames, in addition to all the other flaws you've pointed out.

Nope. Can't do it.

19. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Best thing I've read in this thread recently. Most importantly, it proposes an actual plot. If I didn't have a million stories ...

----

Other than that, is there now a canon source for "quarter-Veela" Fleur? In those words, I mean. As far as I know, it's still the way it always was: Fleur's grandmother is a Veela, but it's never explicitly said what Fleur is.

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Of course, it's doubtful Harry knows too much about Veela, but there you have it.

And again later:

Interestingly, Fleur is said in DH to have "Veela cousins". But without knowing more about their parentage, there's not much light that can shed.