1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP Questions that don't deserve their own thread V2

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sesc, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

The trace being put on wands is fanon.

2. Rache

Rache Headmaster

No canon explanation has been given on how the trace actually works.

3. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Which mean any explanation we hold to would be fanon. Or, at the very least, canon +

4. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

Deathly Hallows gives quite a good look.

5. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That quote tells us nothing, actually. We already knew underage magic an be detected. What we don't know is how it is detected.

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Allows us to imply a fair bit though.

7. anvyl

anvyl Third Year

On the issue of apparition and trace: canon also tells us that there is such a thing as an apparition license. For the most part this is interpreted as a permission, but in all likelyhood it is also a physical object, like a drivers licence. It might have magical properties.

My headcanon: the apparician licence is charmed to detect splinching, allowing the ministry to come fix stuff.

Further, there are also spells that act like 'apparition magnets' that the ministry can use to either temporarily set it up in Diagon Alley / Hogsmeade, and then check everybody who comes that day for licences, or permanently over mixed magical/muggle villiages, so all apparitions into the public parts of the village land in one spot, that is also charmed to be ignored by the muggles, so the charade isn't broken accidentally. So if Wizard A wants to visit B, and doesn't want to apparate into the home directly, as it is rude, but also doesn't know Wizard B's neighborhood well enough to know where to expect muggles to be, he can just apparate without having to worry.

I think we are leaving the bounds of this thread, though. There just isn't much in canon to tell either way.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  8. Darkarma

Darkarma Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Is it Warding or Defensive Enchantments? I know I've seen warding used in fanon quite a bit and tried to research it myself. Unfortunately most of what I find is one article in the Wiki which I'm tempted to chalk up to overly enthusiastic writer who read too much fic.

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The word warding never appears in canon. Spells placed on a location to protect it are called various things, but are generally just referred to as part of charms e.g. "The charm protecting the house was strong".

10. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

The only wards in canon are garlic and gurdyroot. :p

Beyond that, what Taure said.

11. blizzarrrd

blizzarrrd Fourth Year

In canon, do Sirius and Remus call each other Padfoot and Moony regularly/on occasion? Or did they only use these nicknames when they were teenagers?

12. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

I ran a search of the ebooks for the names. There's one instance in PoA where Lupin calls Sirius Padfoot, and two instances in OotP where Sirius calls Lupin Moony - one in Snape's Worst Memory, and one when Harry talks to them after. So I'd say they only used it rarely.

13. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

How can Filch stay in Hogwarts if he is a Squib? In a Interview J.K said that Muggles can´t even see the school only ruins so how is it that Filch is not repelled by the "muggle repelling charms". And don´t say because he is a Squib, muggle and Squib are identical on the no magic scale

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Uh. Because he's a Squib. If Muggles and Squibs were the same on the 'no magic scale' then he would be repelled by the protections of the castle.

Or it could be a function of the protections themselves differentiating between Muggle and Squib. Or maybe it's a place you can only find if you already know where/what it is. Who knows.

tl;dr, Because he's a Squib.

15. Skeletaure

High Score:
    We had this discussion very recently. Here's a summary:

http://web.archive.org/web/20081216...ing.com/textonly/en/extrastuff_view.cfm?id=19

http://web.archive.org/web/20090125132453/http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/faq_view.cfm?id=91

Two possible explanations of Filtch's presence at Hogwarts:

1. Filch was led inside Hogwarts by a magical person, like the Grangers were led into Diagon Alley, and simply never leaves.

2. While Filch is magically identical to a Muggle, they belong to different social categories, and this is sufficient for a spell to distinguish between them (much as a spell can affect a job position).

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  16. anvyl

anvyl Third Year

There is an interesting implication arising from this part of the quote:
    It implies, that the Kwikspell could have worked, it is not a scam. Or am I reading this wrong?

We all know that Rowling's math on population size of the wizarding world doesn't work out, and numerous solutions have been proposed. If Quickspell is a funcioning way of learning some (basic) magic, this could be an alternitive way of expanding the wizarding population.

So some magical could chose to live mostly integrated in the muggle world, working muggle jobs, going to public muggle school and just picking up some magic from the Kwikspell course (i am assuming it is some kind of mail-order schooling system, perhaps with sunday / evening classes for practical parts). It might be cheaper than Hogwarts and create a kind of Middle Class / Lower Class in the Magical world.

On a Sidenote, is anyone interested in opening a new topic and sharing thoughts regarding the fanon ways of enlarging the wizarding world beyond what Hogwarts student numbers allow for? Personally, i have never felt that Hogwarts allowed for places such as Diagon Alley to even exist.
    I realize that this is a somewhat old train of thought and you might not feel interested in it at all, which is why i'm asking.

p.s. Sorry for breaking the rules of this thread, I just didn't feel confident enough to start a new thread.

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's probably just a scam.

18. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Or for shitty wizards like pre-OotP Neville.

19. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Punctuation is something I constantly struggle with, mostly because I see it done in so many different ways. And whenever I find something that seems to fit, there comes the next author along to show me yet another way.

I guess it's mostly a matter of personal preference, but out of curiosity: from these three variants which would you take? Or do you have a completely different method?

20. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

If we look at canon rather than fanon, it is clear the Kwikspell course is for bad witches and wizards not squibs. (It is also probably a scam but let's not get into that.)