1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(d/t) V

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just inspired by you:

Lets assume that Voldemort hated muggles but didn't really care about magical ancestry. Voldemort saw the purebloods as an end to a means; he wanted to become a ruler and they were a waiting army for him.

So, Dumbledore and Grindelwald take over magical Europe around the late 1930s, early 1940s. Riddle comes along and needs to find a disgruntled magical class to use for his own ambitions. Instead of choosing the now happy purebloods, he chooses the muggleborns and the half-bloods that are unhappy under the new regime.

Basically the conflict would be Harry (or some other character) fighting against Dumbledore and Grindelwald with a later conflict of Voldemort's true nature being discovered. Maybe the muggleborn Death Eater equivalent fractures under Voldemort being a psychopath.

2. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

I'm imagining the Harry Potter equivalent of the French Revolution being led by Voldemort...

---------- Post automerged at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

Latest idea - AU where muggles in Britain have taken over and subjugated wizards, aftermath of Grindelwald

Voldemort leads the 'resistance' aimed at killing every muggle alive whilst those who aren't psychotic flee from place to place or take refuge overseas

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lol.

/10chat

4. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Make that Harry being the figurehead of the revolution while either Voldemort is in the shadows leading him there or he is a military general (enforcing the D&G propaganda in the rest of europe) who upon his return finds Dumbledore and Grindelwald defeated and with no one standing in his way assume power because his army revered him as the greatest military strategist in a while. Coup d'état. However, the masse quickly realize their mistake as Voldemort's true nature is being reveal slowly. Harry, still an important figure in the society, tries to rekindle the flame of revolution, but it is not as easily done.

5. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

That was how the Statute of Secrecy started wasn't it? From what i remember muggles went cray over burning all the witches/wizards and they all got forced into hiding.

6. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Wizards chose to go into hiding. I'm pretty sure witches and wizards could have wiped out entire British population post World War 2 if they wanted. Muggles can't attack an enemy they can't see and find, but the entire British govt and royalty could be massacered by wizards with little effort.

7. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The witches and wizards who could render themselves immune to flame with a simple charm, yeah. Like that one witch who got herself caught like nine times just for shits and gigs.

8. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Y'all are looking at this Harry vs Dumbledore & Grindelwald wrong. Voldemort isn't the type to be put down easily. Sure, he's not gonna be able to match up to two of the strongest wizards ever, but he'll also know that.

In the world described a page ago, Tom Riddle grows up as a halfblood raised in the muggle world very capable of understanding the cruelty of muggles from the orphanage, as well as the flaws inherent in a world run by wizards (the muggles are enslaved after all). Prodigiously talented at magic, he sets out to change it, but knows that even with his immense talent he doesn't stand a chance against the two tyrants, let alone a chance of changing the system that the two have put in place after decades of working together instead of against each other. Maybe he's a professor at Hogwarts, maybe he's the headmaster, gifted at teaching and charismatic enough to influence the minds of potential recruits to his cause. He bides his time, quietly recruiting like minded individuals over the years, while doing his best to ensure his own immortality should a true uprising against Dumbledore and Grindelwald fail. He looks to overthrow the established order and put himself at the forefront of potential change.

Potential for conflict is all over the place. There are the pureblood supremacists who look down on muggles and muggleborns. There are the muggleborns, some of whom readily embrace a chance to move up in the world with magic, and others who seek to overthrow their family's near enslavement. There are moderates who see merit in both sides, with some fighting for the total freedom for muggles and some fighting for muggles to have more rights, rather than total freedom.

Enter Harry, the halfblood son of muggleborn Lily, who looks to use her magic to help muggles like her family, and James, a more liberal pureblood who has confronted and defeated his prejudice against muggles out of his love for his wife. Both are cautious supporters of Riddle, seeing him as one of the few options against the current system that stands a chance of achieving true change. Harry's talented, having grown up in the care of parents who are quite skilled at magic themselves. In him, Riddle can see a powerful ally. Harry's is talented, a natural at Defense magic, confident in his own ability, charismatic like in canon, hell they even look somewhat similar.

From there, they take on Dumbledore and Grindelwald. Maybe Harry is the last piece Riddle needs to really begin his outright rebellion against the two. Harry would have to juggle politics far different from canon, become skilled enough to be a threat to two of the most powerful wizards in history, and balance Riddle's fraying sanity, whose Horcruxes and unstable soul are beginning to make him unpredictable.

Now that's an AU. None of this Voldemort gets killed early shit.

9. LoyalFenian

LoyalFenian Fourth Year

10. Stan

Stan Order Member

I was with you until you made Harry super-ultra skilled. In large scale AUs like this one, I find myself rather intrigued to see how a canon-ish Harry would do in a completely different world. Sort of like Prince of the Dark Kingdom. Random buffs to his skill level does seem like something of a cop out in this case.

11. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

The only thing you'd really have going for Harry is that he's charismatic then. Which is all well and good until he finds himself alone next to Dumbledore or Grindelwald where his only hope will be to vainly stay alive for someone to help him, and even then Dumbledore took out an entire group of Death Eaters except for Bellatrix in a single spell in OotP.

The only thing you could really have is a moderately great wizard outclassed on all sides, desperately trying to keep everyone he loves alive in a warzone, and you'd probably have to plot hack everything to keep him standing the minute the fighting escalates.

12. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

Dude you've got to start writing again.

13. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

The Other Minister.
    The Prime Minister during Voldemort's rise to power is Margareth Thatcher.
    How will the Iron Lady deal with Voldemort Crisis on top of everything that happened in Britain during her tenure as a Prime Minister?

14. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Much more interesting if the Prime Minister is Francis Urquhart, or, for another direction, Jim Hacker.

15. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

When Dolores Umbridge mysteriously disappears and Parliament is in recess, the Minister of Magic is in urgent need of a civil servant to help his office. On short notice, he is sent someone extremely competent, educated and distinguished. It is a shame, however, that Sir Humphrey Appleby could not say the same for Mr. Fudge.

16. Peace

Peace High Inquisitor

Post-GoF the Dark Forces Defence League approaches and interrogates Harry about Voldemort's return.

The League is one-part secret society, one-part non-state military force whose goals are to confront and defeat dark wizards wherever they emerge. They're not aligned with nations but are loyal to their anti-dark ideology. Nations see the League as a) dangerous fanatics or b) useful allies when facing dark lords. Occasionally, the League intervenes in wars at the behest of the ICW.

Harry is brought into the League as an apprentice and, along with his master, is sent to the Kingdom of Rome which is facing insurrection by a powerful dark wizard and also being threatened by the Northern Alliance, a coalition of northern Italy's city-states. The League doesn't intend to interfere in the the war between Rome and the Northern Alliance but does plan to ally itself against with Rome against the dark wizard.

While Harry tries to figure out if being a member of the League is really what he wants Voldemort slowly gathers power in Britain. Dumbledore struggles for political survival while seeking rapprochement with Harry even as battle lines are drawn amongst Hogwarts' students.

This would be two stories, the first following Harry's time in Italy and the second the war against Voldemort.

The idea here would be to explore another European wizarding society and an organisation that isn't the Order, the Ministry or the Death Eaters.

Yes, Lockhart was a member of the League but in this story's canon that was because of his abilities as an obliviator, not because of his reputation as a fighter (I figure he came into contact with the people whose memories he stole while working for the League).

17. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

The screaming book that Harry encounters in the Restricted Section in PS is a Horcrux, and can speak to Harry.

...Well, I don't really have an extension for that idea at the moment, but I think it has some potential and I consider adding it to my story. What do you think can be done with it?

18. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Bob the book?

Honestly a talking book that contains a human soul can only be used in so many different ways. The one I would prefer is: Set Harry on a quest to restore the owners body in exchange for help with Voldemort. Some would say it's a cliche, but there always is a decent story to be had in such a quest.

19. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm about 80% sure A Butterfly Effect (that well known Fem!Harry fic featuring HP/GW) used that as a plot device.

20. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Yeah, that was pretty much my initial idea as well. Still mulling it over.

Good to know... I tried scouring that fic for the book plot but it's so horrible that I couldn't go on any more.