1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandom Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume Two]

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Antivash, Aug 19, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

If you found that the only funny bit, you probably should put in spoiler tags so other people get to enjoy the moment.

I thought it was surprisingly decent, actually. 3/5 at least, could be 4/5 if the author doesn't fuck it up and stop updating after 3 chapters.

2. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Ashes to Ashes
    A Naruto/Marvel fusion. Naruto is the only character from the Narutoverse in it. I've been on a bit of a superhero binge lately and I found this, It's fairly decent.

3. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I'm only through the first chapter, but this doesn't sound much like Naruto. It seems more like an OC with similar basic powers.
    Does that change later on? Actual Naruto works pretty decently in most cross-overs, especially when they have a lighthearted touch. Dark brooding tragedy OC 'Naruto'? Doesn't work very well imho.

4. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Na it doesn't really change

5. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I never really liked where they take an OC slap Naruto name on it then go forward with entirely different backstory, different moveset, different power and then call it naruto crossover. What is the point?

6. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Child of Heaven by jacques0
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Fantasy/Adventure - Chapters: 119 - Words: 337,547 - Reviews: 1,234 - Favs: 694 - Follows: 719 - Updated: Jun 19 - Published: May 2, 2013 - id: 9254114

It is riddled with grammar and typo mistakes, especially the failure of the author to distinguish between "owe" and "own" and similar stuff is annoying. The writing itself is a bit clumsy, and the main character is quite overpowered but at the same time, her power is also inconsistent. Also, for someone who reincarnates into Fairy Tail who knows the plot, and being as powerful as she is, she has relatively little impact on the story progression, only causing minor changes for the most part.

That said, it is the only Fairy Tail story that I have liked so far, it does manage to replicate the atmosphere of Fairy Tail and I still liked the protag. I am also a sucker for the OC reincarnated into world with knowledge story trope.

So, if you are kinda desperate for a decent Fairy Tail story like I was, this one has length and is an enjoyable read. Not library material by any means, but if you are in the right mood, this will suffice. Also, it seems to be regularly updated to two years now.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  7. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

Lanterns in the dark
    By: Tartarun
    Rated: Fiction T
    Genre: Adventure/Friendship
    Chapters: 28
    Words: 198,446
    chapter 1

Naruto doesn't know how he got in the past or even why. But what he does know is that he won't let the same tragedies act out again, and he'll get on the case as soon as he can shake off his incredibly observant sensei and figure out how and when things started going wrong.

A decent time travel fix, slow divergence until after the bell test and then it goes into nice new territory, I'm only on the 10th chapter and so far it has good potential, a few spelling errors here and there. Some of the pro's are that Naruto isn't stupidly powerful, he has the knowledge but his body isn't in the same shape. Cons: Kakashi and Anko are written awkwardly for me, which is a con for me as Kakashi plays a fairly big role so far.
    3.5/5 with the potential to move up.

8. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

First chapter is fucking hilarious with the way the conversation with Mizuki turns out.

Edit

Holy shit this got boring fast

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  9. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

It does slog abit but it gets interesting again after the not wave mission, actually the not wave mission is interesting too.

10. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

The grass arc slogged on a bit, but it gets interesting again afterwards. Definitely belongs in Almost Recommended, but it's not too bad popcorn reading.

11. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

"The Power of a Name" by Big Steve: A Doctor Who SI.

Basically, a SI gets turned into a time lord, and is gifted with a TARDIS that can traverse the multiverse, not just time and space. All his human memories are wiped clean, and he takes the name of the Doctor. As the title implies, he soon discovers that there is power in a name.

12. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

read that a while ago back in my SB SI binge, its pretty good but I'm not really a fan of most of the world's visited

13. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  14. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

http://www.wuxiaworld.com/mga-index/mga-chapter-1/

Another Xianxia that I feel is just amazing, but many things like:
    The Main Character raping about 6 girls, and one of them thanking him because her life was saved
    bogs this story down really fucking hard, but despite the MC being a fucking scumbag some times the way he gets rvenge for things is always hilarious

15. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

I don't know about this one. If anything, I think this is one of the worst Xianxia being translated atm. The plot is even less developed than Coiling Dragon, and just reading about that MC is annoying. Still, if you are up for brutal stuff then by all means read it. I personally could not give this any more than a 2/5.

Edit: Since we are on the topic of Xianxias though, here's a list I think are pretty good.

By: IET
    Desolate Era -worldofwatermelons.com , Similar to Cd in ways, but since it's a comparatively newer story by IET, it's way more polished IMO and a lot better.

Stellar Transformation -wuxiaworld.com "Sequel" to Coiling Dragon, but its near impossible to find the link besides right in the beginning and at the end. I think that after the translations, the link is so small that it basically disappears too.

Swallowed Star -wuxiatranslations.com , I enjoy this one a lot more. It's a post-apocalyptic world mixed with Xianxia, so definitely fun to read.
    ----------------------------------------
    Doulou Dalu -bluesilverstranslation.com - Gives almost a Japanese light novel vibe at first, with MC reincarnating etc. But it quickly moves toward Xianxia with a unique leveling up system.

Battle Through the Heavens- wuxiaworld - Another general Xianxia, but fun to read as the MC uses alchemy and things like that.

Against the Gods- wuxiaworld - This one is probably the best story of this entire list, imo. The MC is great and fun to read about, the baddies aren't all stupid, and things HAPPEN. Still, it's also the one translated the least, and even the chinese raws aren't very far along yet.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  16. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The grammar was too poor and the phrasing of words too awkward to read past the first chapter of MGA. It's the first story I've tried to read on Wuxiaworld; are they all translated so roughly?

17. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

No. Like I said, MGA is literally the worst translated xianxia I've read. Still, inevitably most translated stories will be a bit awkward, as they are not professionally done and tend to just be rewording/repositioning the direct translations.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  18. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I've skimmed through 70+ chapters and true, MGA is terrible for dozens of reasons, rape doesnt appear to be one of them.

19. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You guys got me into Xianxia. Rip my next few weeks, but also thanks a lot.

I really liked Coiling Dragon, and there are way better stories out there? And a lot of them seem massively long as well. Thanks for the list, tragicmat.

Is the "sequel" thing something like being part of the same multiverse but not really directly linked? Rather, being the next work of the author?

20. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Yep. It's cause of that, there's really no need to read one first or anything like that.

Also, though I agree with that there are "way better stories than Coiling Dragon" out there, most of their quality are definitely not as high (simply cause the translator for CD is really good).

Not open for further replies.