1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

General Mafia Discussion

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Prophylaxis, Apr 4, 2014.

1. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    EDIT: Eh, fuck it. Maybe another day.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  2. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Can I please be skipped in the queue?

The good news is I got promoted. unfortunately I have to switch to overnight, so I'm not going to be able to get the game ready in the next 2 weeks.

3. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

So, let's say I wanted to get better at Mafia. Is there anything I should do other than just play games and learn by doing?

Also, folks who play on other sites, where do you play, and what are the pros/cons of that site?

4. Citrus

Citrus First Year

If anyone's answering this via PM, I'd love a PM as well, as I wouldn't mind getting my feet wet in more places

5. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I play here, which is my 'parent site', so to speak. There's a game taking signups right now from one of the more innovative runners.

Things that are different:

* Virtually no games are Open, meaning that the roles are not revealed in advance. As mentioned recently, I've come to view this as a superior way to play, but it very much comes down to individual preferences - but it's something different, which is what you seem to want.

* Roles are generally weaker/less prevalent. There's a strong preference away seers and the like, and towards less distorting roles like Watchers, Trackers, and so on. Simultaneously, there's more disparity in games than I've seen here, with some out-and-out mountainous games (no roles), and many with unique and innovative mechanics. Most of the time, games will have multiple players as vanilla.

* Days/nights are shorter, almost always 48/24hr
    - As a result, the experience is quite intense, but different from here. A large part of that is a strong tendency away from spam and towards more substantive posts. It's difficult to describe, really, I recommend just reading a few players in the middle of a recent game (to avoid end-bias).

* Lynches are (almost always) plurality, not majority.

* The community uses werewolf, not mafia language.

* The werewolf community is more integrated into the rest of the site. As a related point, despite comparative sizes of games (slightly smaller/less frequent on RB), RB is orders of magnitude smaller overall.

* The forum has software developed to help with counting votes, reading up on individual players, and so on, which makes some aspects considerably easier (see here)

* There's virtually no subs ever made. Players just don't disappear with anywhere near the frequency of here, but when they do we mostly modkill them. I'm not sure why this is, tbh.

I could go on and on, but that's the main points jumping to mind.

As an aside, I can run a filler quickly if there's interest.

6. Titus

Titus Squib

Newcomb, learn by doing is the best approach.

@All, I have a game in signups on mafiascum.net, if y'all are interested.

7. Thingyman

Thingyman Muggle

Hi guys!

I just wanted to pop in and say hi and let you all know that the 2015 Mafia Championship Finale has finally begun: http://www.mafiauniverse.net/threads/269-The-2015-Mafia-Championship-Finale

Several months under way, 70 representatives from 70 different communities, and finally it's time to see who will be crowned the "best" mafia player* on the interwebz!

If any of you would be interested in spectating and talking with others about the game (or if you just want to shoot the breeze with other mafia enthusiasts), we have a spec chat on Skype with 100+ people from many different communities. Go ahead and add me, if you'd like an invite: thingyman

*fontisian had qualified for the finale, but couldn't play, and she obv would've won, so they're competing for second best mafia player ;)

8. Newcomb

Damn, would have really had fun rooting for fonti in the finals. This will be a really fun game to read along with, though. Question - is the observation chat "spoiled"? I kinda don't want to know who's who.

9. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Observers chat is not spoiled and pretty fun.

Newcomb, remind me to talk to you about various mafia sites this week.

10. Thingyman

Thingyman Muggle

Indeed, chat isn't spoiled - come join us :)

11. Fluffiness

Fluffiness DA Member

Where do I join you again?

12. fontisian

Message thingyman on skype.

13. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    By the way, the game I mentioned is about to start, I was asked to check over the setup and it looks really, really interesting and fun. So I recommend anyone who's interested to watch - it's pretty small numbers too, so won't take up too much time.

[Oh and as an aside, one of the really interesting things about RB is the honour-based lurker culture. We have lurker threads that are publicly available for anyone to comment in/read, rather than needing to seek out the QT. Lurker threads are unspoiled, but even so, we've had a good track record with no-one spoiling themselves.]

14. Newcomb

(Doing so.)

15. fontisian

Check out the Witchhunt kickstarter here.

16. blab

blab Second Year

I am fundamentally opposed to allowing any kind of message that requires any kind of key to unlock.

What you did specifically was essentially writing down your role on a piece of paper (during the game and in secret) and then reveal it during massclaim. Turns the game into a farce if standard, gives you an unearned advantage if not.

17. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Breadcrumbing is one thing (making a hint towards flavor in a fluffy RVS post), as it's easy enough to do even as scum if you plan out your fakeclaim (which, well, you should).

But there's a reason that 'no codes, no ciphers' is pretty standard in mafia - because it serves the same fundamental purpose as typing out your full claim on day one and screenshotting it to post later.

But it's something that doesn't need to be fleshed out here, really - 'no codes, no ciphers, respect the spirit of the game and the people you play with' is, or will be, in every setup I'd imagine. Or should be.

18. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Jotting this down so I don't forget it and can do the work on it later. Gunslinger Mafia basic concept. Set during Roland's youth in the town of Mejis, x-many town, 3/4 mafia. Basic wincons+specialized conditions.

19. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

Hi - I am Jan!

You might remember me from Vons Hannibals-Mansion-Fanfiction and my poor writing while playing mafia.

But today i bring you a extension that some of you might already use, and everyone should use!

I will just paste what Hoya wrote on the 2+2 forum, because i am lazy (i changed it to work for dlp):

{Makaze} has created an incredible extension for the twoplustwo search function. It will expand search results to show the entire post, rather than snippets of each post.

It is fantastic, and if you play werewolf you want this. You want this a lot.

Chrome (use Tampermonkey)
    Firefox (use Greasemonkey)
    Safari (Tampermonkey)

DLP - Extended Search Result

Install by clicking the Raw button with Greasemonkey (for Firefox) or Tampermonkey (for Chrome) installed.

I changed the extension to work for DLP instead of 2+2.

All the glory goes to Makaze for the extension, i only changed up 2 lines.

Here is the original post on 2+2

If something does not work, let me know.

20. MoltenCheese

MoltenCheese Seventh Year

So, I was lurking through the Mafia section the last few days, and was wondering if you folk knew a Mafia Variant called Les Loups-Garous de Thiercelieux (Loup Garou for short). It's a French version that is my personal favorite. There are 20+ roles, which means that 1) there is no need for townies and 2) more chaos, thus more awesome. It has many interesting roles like Angel (who wins the game alone if she dies on the first round), Cupid (who designates two players as "lovers," who commit suicide in grief when the significant other dies), Evil Mastermind (who wins if everyone on his hit-list dies), etc. If you guys are interested, maybe I'll post a guide.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015