1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandom Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume Two]

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Antivash, Aug 19, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

If you can bring yourself to read the first chapter then it is already far better than the random average fic.

2. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

DLH literally uses the word "curbstomp" for the climactic fight. It's pure wank.

It's readable wank, sure, but let's not pretend there isn't a lot of stroking going on.

Blasted through Enslaved, it had some pretty stupid parts (the only reason I got through the part with the bird people is that I mentally replaced then with Rick and Morty's Birdperson and why God did Feather need to be a thing) but was most certainly readable and better than the three fics we're arguing about now

3. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Really? Because I can't *stand* Enslaved. I've tried reading it before and it really came off as 'Holier Than Thou' in regards to Saito. It was positively dripping with it so much i couldn't read past the first chapter.

4. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    I've tried reading a couple of DxD fics (well, crossovers with stuff I actually know) and I really can't get over how stupid the DxD world is, like, what is the appeal of it? I scanned the wiki for it and the main character has a power to talk to boobs and wants to be a "harem king". It just seems retarded to me, and every attempt i've seen to play it a bit straighter than the anime/manga (which I assume is mostly meant to be a comedy) completely fails because of all the weird over-sexualised wish fulfillment stuff in the DxD universe. Where has this influx of crossovers come from?

5. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

The Setting of the DxD-Verse, ignoring the perversity, is actually, at the core, very interesting one. The potential is amazing, honestly, with Devils, Fallen and Angels all being real, all having these small little things that if expanded upon, make it so you can understand why they all went to war. And then you take all the other Mythologies and Religions into account, and have to think on how they fit into the mix and it just gets even more interesting.

Essentially, while canon has kind of failed to make use of the setting properly, there's just so much potential for an Urban Fantasy that people enjoy it.

EDIT: I actually have something in the works that I hope takes all of this, and even some of the characters, and makes everything a lot more interesting and believable.

6. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

That isn't something I experienced at all? It was angsty sure, but holier than thoiu?

7. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So why not just cross over with SMT instead? I'm not talking Persona, either. SMT as in Nocturne or DDS or Strange Journey.

8. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Mainly because DxD has a less of the "end of the world" vibe, and is allows for an easier mix between light heart drama/ serious moments. The author can choose how far in each direction they want to go, where as SMT you are basically pigeonholed into serious mode pretty quickly.

9. BTT

High Score:
    Hm. You have a point there, I guess.
    Still don't really see the attraction, but tastes differ.

10. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

The real question is why people don't write Mastema into DXD

11. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Because, if talking about SMT Mastema, he's an asshole.

12. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

He's the most trustworthy angel! You take that back!

But really, there isn't really much SMT fic out there, but I suspect that's because it's effectively a mortality play which is more about philosophy than beating up demons or high school antics

13. Callagan

Callagan Fourth Year

I suspect it's more because the games are hard as nails, and most fanfiction writers only write about things they enjoyed. That's why there are so many Persona fics in comparison.

14. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Always the problem with stuff like that. There are only so many people who even know these games exist, SMT is very much a niche, only so many of those who play them, only so many of those who finish them and only so many of those who would write fanfiction about them. And only so many of those who are good at it.

15. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Damn kids these days just don't know how to get the buffs. All the buffs. But yes, the difficulty definitely does have to do with this, but I think the general thematics (KILL YOUR FRIENDS) also turn off people. I mean there are no right choices and everything is always going to come out some form of horrible, but it isn't a casual grimdarkness that's easy to adapt. Oh well, one day we'll get the adventures of Magical Girl Mara-tan.

I just did a reread of He Who Fights Monsters and either he changed the ending or added a new chapter after I thought it was over but it was actually really satisfying this time around.

16. BTT

High Score:
    Only in Strange Journey. He's pretty cool in 4. Still kind of a dick, but not as much compared to his counterpart or the other archangels.

17. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I haven't really been able to get into the Highschool DxD fandom really, but I think I can understand why other people might.

It's kind of like the Familiar of Zero fandom. Poor canon story that has a way to easily work crossovers into it, then a bunch of "scenes" that everyone wants to see turn out differently - the Guiche fight, Fouqet, the Rating Games, etc. I'm strangely drawn to FoZ crossovers. Sometimes I just get in this mood where I have to go smash out a few really shitty, almost unreadable fics and yet may drop a fantastically written HP fic on even the slightest issue. I still can't really work out why. Cheap thrills I suppose?

I haven't really felt that with Highschool DxD yet, but the fandom does to follow similar trends.

18. fire

fire Order Member

Perhaps it's because FoZ/DxD have lolis, and you're a unredeemable loli-lover, as your Mordred avatar proves conclusively.

19. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

/me dies.

Aka the main character from Persona 3. And putting him in as a curbstomper makes sense when you actually get the chance for pretty much every mythological creature/person in history. When you can summon the strongest member of every faction in DxD even if they're dead(excluding Yahweh). In that fic if anything the author is toning down what could have happened. He pulls out Persona that aren't the strongest ones he could.

Yeah it's curbstomp filled. That's how it works. Take any main character from the end of any SMT game and put them in DxD and it's a curbstomp.

20. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Which means you should either not be doing an end game crossover or you should be dealing with the actual themes from SMT which tend to be asking the lines of "you have the power to reshape the world from first principles. What philosophy do you adhere to for this task and how does it affect everyone?"

Not open for further replies.