1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Heleor, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Eh. I like River as a character, so if she's just cropping up for a random adventure I'm ok with that. If she's coming back as a plot important character though, then bugger that.

4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I just can't deal with the story-breaking timeline limitations she puts on the narrative with every flipping appearance.

5. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

Sigh. So much for hopes of Doctor Who improving, although after seeing Moffat butcher Sherlock I'm not surprised.

6. Atomicwalrus

Atomicwalrus Fourth Year

Moffat should probably have bowed out with Smith.

7. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV1tfG7uDtI

Magician's Apprentice trailer.

It's interesting how few leaks there were this season. All I know going in to the first episode is that there are Daleks involved. Last year, we had all first 5 episodes fully leaked.

8. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Looks fairly decent - Season 8 was entirely hit or miss. Hopefully the writers have found their stride with Capaldi this round.

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just... I just can't bring myself to care about Doctor Who anymore. I haven't even watched the trailer.

I feel like it's fallen so far, especially with how much I loved season 6. There used to be some decent episodes mixed with absolute awesome. Season 8 seemed to be decent episodes mixed with absolute shit. :(

10. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    They brought in a fair amount of fresh blood in terms of writers and directors, as well as a few veterans who did some really great work in the earlier Matt Smith seasons, so hopefully we won't have to look forward to more of the same. On the other hand, they also brought back Peter Harness, who was responsible for the horrific pile of shit that was Kill the Moon.

11. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

12. Quick Ben

So that's where he woke up.

13. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I reckon this season will end with Gallifrey coming back. 10 years without it is a nice even number, Capaldi has settled in and it will shake things up again. Plus I think Moffet will want to want to play that out his way, rather than leave it to the next guy.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  14. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

I'm honestly still salty about the stupid retcon of the end of the Time War, but I guess it's two seasons too late to whine about that now, and I should probably just accept the fact that Gallifrey will be back sooner or later.

I guess if it has to come back, I hope the Doctor goes on a sufficiently epic quest to find it beforehand.

15. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, that was an interesting start to the season. The first half of the episode caught my interest well enough, but the second half ran into the problem of [REDACTED] being too quiet to hear clearly for me. I'm kinda looking forward to this season, though the last one was fairly mediocre so it's a cautious optimism.

16. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    An episode of two halves. On the one hand, so, so many fantastic ideas and scenes.
    The axe battle! The hand-mines! And quite apart from the chills, that whole scene was just fantastic, in terms of direction, imagination, acting and writing. Missy is better than ever, and the idea of planes being frozen as a calling card is just perfect. Great to see Davros back, and while I absolutely hated his minion, that was because he was made of snakes. Scariest monster since the Weeping Angels.

On the other hand...I know a lot of people have accused Moffat of relying too much on cool ideas and scenes rather than coherent, logical plotting, and I'm normally more inclined to cut him some slack in that regard, but with this episode I spent the final ten minutes or so thinking 'nah' rather than engrossed in the action.
    The Daleks blew up the TARDIS! OMG! Wait...last time that happened it wiped out reality. Clara and Missy are dead! Yeah. Right. I give it to just after the opening credits of episode 2, tops. Skaro's back! Oh...didn't we pay a visit there in Asylum of the Daleks? The Doctor had a meeting with someone who turned out to be a Dalek agent. They were standing in a gigantic statue of a Dalek.

17. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    There were a whole lot of continuity contradictions, which annoyed the fuck out of me, but it was overall an okay episode.

18. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Eh continuity is just one of those things you have to sacrafice to enjoy Doctor Who. The only true constant is 'the Tardis is a blue box' absolutely everything else is up to reinvention whenever the writers of the day feel like it.

I enjoyed it, yeah the cliffhangers were meh and some of the reveals contradicted canon even from within the last few seasons but I'm sure that will be handwaved away in the next episode. But it was a solid start and I think fits nicely into my theory that they are planing on bringing Gallifrey back this season.

After all you need a bad guy for Gallifrey to deal with. Nice to see loads of old-style Daleks in this episode, rather than having them half concealed in smoke like in Asylum of the Daleks. Also 'three possible versions of Atlantis' lol. Also interesting to see the Maldovarium (minus head-box dude), considering that's where River said she got her Vortex Manipulator originally and shes all set to make a comeback. Missy was awesome as usual, glad she's sticking about, same for Kate Lethbridge-Stewart.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  19. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Level with me guys, will I hate myself for watching the new episodes?

20. Quick Ben

No you won't.