1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Heleor, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It had a couple of cool ideas, but was pretty awful overall. Moffat just needs to get the fuck out already.

2. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Eh, I think this is Moffat aiming for some sweet redemption.

But, also, he disregards canon so severely that it hurts. Like, obvious stuff. Never mind writing from the 60's, I'm talking stuff from a few years ago. His own stuff. He talks about how it's all open to change, but really I sit and watch and just hate the man for ignoring - ignoring, not forgetting - that it takes such and such to destroy a TARDIS.

To be honest, my biggest issue with the latest episode was that Snake Guy. He was useless because the Axe Guy was a Dalek spy the whole time.

Why did Snake Guy need to span the universe looking for the Doctor, on behalf of Davros and thus the Daleks, when medieval Axe Guy had him the whole time? It's how they got the TARDIS. The Doctor was never off their radar. But for some reason we got ten minutes of Snake Guy looking for the Doctor...

I'm willing to forgive the continuity shit, to an extent, but not absurdly obvious plot holes for the sake of snake handcuffs. Shame. Much shame.

Edit: Okay, I'm willing to excuse this particular example if... because Axe Guy was being strangled by one of Snake Guy's snakes, that somehow infected him with the Dalek nonsense in the forehead. I can accept that, but at the same time, it needs explaining.

Missy being alive needs a throwaway line.

Kate not shooting Missy dead needs better reasoning. She was slaughtering innocents. It's not okay. The planes were fine, even frozen. Doctor could have sorted it in the long run. Kate could be an awesome character, but they keep making her thick as mud. It's maddening.

These aren't big asks, either. Run the script by a handful of fans, not even hardcore fans, and fix the bullshit.

Edit 2: Indeed, there's no reason Missy just didn't walk into UNIT HQ? Why the planes? Why the nonsense? It's cool, but doesn't make sense? She needs an agenda aside from trying to find the Doctor for that shit to work.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  3. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Um I assumed Snake guy infected the Axe guy with the Dalek thing(like what happened in Asylum of the Daleks) and that's one of the reasons Snake guy was dangerous, he was carrying an army of daleks.

The Daleks destroying a Tardis should not be a surprisse to anyone, they fought a whole war with their enemies using them, so of course they'd have found a way to one shot a Tardis. That's my fanon explanation.

Joe
  4. Joe

High Score:
    Yeah I'll concede Snake Guy.

But not the TARDIS.

Last time we met a fully proper Dalek race under Davros (Tenth Doctor) it took the heart of a star, a special star, something like neutrino or something to destroy a TARDIS. And it took a few minutes, enough for a clone to grow from Tenth Doctor's severed hand.

This is Doctor Who, so I'm willing to suspend my disbelief. I'd even be okay with a throwaway line that the Daleks have perfected TARDIS destroying technology. But not just point a ray gun at it and there we go. That's not clever, or even intimidating - that's lazy.

5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Spoilers Joe its only been out a day.
    To be fair, Kate had no idea what Missy could do with the planes, as far as she was concerned Missy could send 4000 planes crashing into population centers whenever she felt like it. There was no way she was going to risk that, Missy could have slaughtered all of them and Kate wouldn't of had her shot because she was apparently holding tens of thousands of lives hostage.

Also according to one of the new episodes (cant remember witch) the Daleks became proficient Tardis killers during the Time War, they would kind of have to be. Considering all the effort Davros put into getting the Doctor there it could be plausible that they also had a way of destroying the Tardis already prepared (which also negates the side effects). The Tardis (and other Tardises) have been destroyed several times before after all. Plus who says they are really dead?
    Now don't get me wrong they twist the in-universe lore any time they feel like it, just in the cases you've mentioned there are explanations.

Joe
  6. Joe

High Score:
    Yeah okay. I'll accept that, as well. Not happily, it's still a shade lazy, but I'll take it.

Also re: spoilers - yeah, okay, I edited for such, but what's the proper etiquette there? I've always wondered. This is something majority of the world has access to now - through any and all means - where's the line on spoiler tags? Is it purely a time-based thing?

7. Sorrows

To be fair I'd say if you come on a thread like this before viewing you're asking for it. Still its good manners to give people a few days to catch up, especially at the start of a season.

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Davros doesn't necessarily mean Daleks. I'm rewatching the episode right now, and when the Doctor is begging him to save Clara, he tells him "I created the Daleks, I do not control them." It's entirely possible that there's two seperate schemes going on here.

Missy being alive did have a throwaway line. Very throwaway: "Yes, I'm alive, big surprise." Whether it's a good throwaway line is another matter :p

I dunno. This isn't the first time I've finished an episode and felt inclined to join the anti-Moffat crowd - he definitely seems to be falling further and further into a tendency to throw cool stuff at the wall and see what sticks - but thus far he's pulled it off in the end. We'll have to see.

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I for one appreciate the non-spoilers. Usually.

I came to the this to see the general reaction, and whether it was worth watching or not. So far it seems not. :/

10. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Watch it..its just 45 minutes out of your life and if you like the show even a little then it isn't soo bad that you wouldn't give it that chance.

11. Sorrows

Eh you're still playing with fire if you really don't want it spoiled. Even if its not explicitly spelled out (and it often is) there's often something to tip you off to a plot twist/point/whatever in the discussion.

I wouldn't say he's always pulled it off (River), it is more annoying when he does it with already established canon characters rather than ones he set up himself like the Silence or River.

If you've enjoyed some of the better Moffet stuff so far than I'd say its worth a try. It was a solid start and it definitely had its moments (like that sweet guitar solo), but it is definitely in Moffets style.

A friend of mine has seen both episodes and says that it works far better as a pair. I suppose we shall see if he's right next week.

12. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Watched it just now. A little eyebrow-raising at times, but overall okay. Certainly good enough to watch.

13. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Am I the only person who thought the whole guitar thing was terrible? Just seemed like a 5-minute indulgence of an aging punk rocker shoehorned into a completely unrelated program and thinly disguised by a single, throwaway pun.

I actually didn't mind the episode as a whole. Not great but not terrible either, and hopefully it will be used to set up a properly good episode or two; the potential is there. I certainly wouldn't count the 'axe battle' as one of the highlights though.

14. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

How did he manage that? Do they have limited pre-release screenings in the UK?

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Looks to be confirmed: Jenna Coleman will peace out sometime this season.

Yay!

Not that I have anything against her as an actress, but her lack of chemistry with Capaldi has been quite noticeable. Here's hoping the Doctor flies solo for a few eps, maybe with Missy picking up some of the slack.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  16. Sorrows

Pretty much, he is a fanatical fan and has major contacts within the production, last year he managed to watch the whole season early. Don't always agree with his analysis though so we shall see.

17. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I did not enjoy the guitar scenes, but liked most of the other stuff thrown at the wall.

Doctor Who is (turning into? always has been?) a turn-your-mind-off experience. It's fun to watch and it will break continuity occasionally but always in fun ways.

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That was a much, much better episode, mostly because it tied up the majority of the seemingly gaping plotholes.

Sonic wayfarers tho...
    All of my wuts.

19. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Your mate was right; the episodes work much better as a pair.

20. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I'd like it if Missy became the Doctor's companion. They've got good chemistry and the idea of the Master playing good for shits and giggles is relatively fresh.