1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Heleor, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

That is true. I mean they are still as stupid as hell and about as 'cool' as your dad buying skinny jeans and all. But the screwdriver was a bit of a point-and-fix plot device unless the plot decided it couldn't that week 'Oh dear! Its made of wood and its deadlocked sealed!.'

Making it more of a scanner type item might mean they have to come up with better solutions than just sonic it.

I still hate them though.

2. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

3. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Only if it correlated with a massive increase in continuity and quality of the episodes. After all, that is the issue, not how many episodes are being made.

Anyway didn't they try this with Tennents last run? And wasn't it shit?

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm not against it in principle, so long as the stories are actually hood. But pretty much every series of the show since the first has faced claims that ratings are falling, the BBC is stressing about it and thinking about cancelling it...and the response is always the same: once you take into account iPlayer, people recording and watching later, people watching on mobile devices - who aren't registered at all - the ratings haven't actually changed dramatically one way or the other in years.

5. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Yea the fact that the Doctor hasn't busted cap in some bitches ass over them fly Jordans is really holding this show back

6. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Oops...I did of course mean good!

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Making less episodes will not suddenly improve the quality of the show. If anything it will just decrease the chance of really exceptional episodes. But as far as ratings go, it may just work if they manage to make people "hungry" for them and present their premiere as a special event. Just like they do with Sherlock.

That said, what's considered more profitable? Having 12 episodes with 6 million people watching them or 3 longer ones with let's say twice as big budged for an episode and 10 millions viewers?

8. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Ι really doubt the feature episodes will have twice the budget of normal ones.

9. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    "Not with me! Die with whoever else comes after - but not with me!"

That was the best character moment from Clara I think we've ever seen.

Really enjoying this season.

10. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Brilliant couple of episodes. One of if not the strongest story of Capaldi's run so far. The Fisher King was really creepy, some lovely character moments, a clever but not clever-clever time-travel idea, and the most overt S&M gag (pun not quite intended) this side of Torchwood.

I had an idea it was going to be the Doctor in the casket from maybe the second shot of it, but that didn't make it any less effective.

Well, they weren't used as a weapon, but they still looked pretty daft at one point. You know where.

Finally, just for extra appreciation, that theme remix.

11. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

Say what you want about the episode but The Fisher King is definitely one of the best looking recent monsters. I quite liked this two parter but I think there were a couple of weak spots on it. The whole romance felt a little bit forced for me and a twist was obvious since the beginning fo the episode. Still, pretty good story.

On another note, not against the sonic glasses but not in love with them. Capaldi playing the guitar and wearing the glasses on top of a tank on episode one will definitely be one of his highlights as a Doctor for me though.

12. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Okay. These two episodes weren't just good, they were fantastic. No retarded plot devices, no massive deus ex machina, an interesting cast of side-characters.

I have no complains. Episodes like these are why I watch.

13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

That timeloop, lol. I'm glad they didn't pussy foot around and flat out went 'how the fuck did that work'.

14. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

Honestly, it wasn't bad, but the whole time through I couldn't take the episode seriously. It's gotten to the point where every time you turn around the Doctor is about to die for real guys, and there's no suspense in it anymore, but the show still tries to pretend it's dramatic and exciting.

The sunglasses are stupid in general, but what irritates me about them is more that I read an interview with Moffat where he basically said he changed it for two reasons: one, because 'why should the Doctor be attached only to a screwdriver', and two, for the lulz. It just strikes me as pretty dumb to claim the Doctor 'isn't that attached to the screwdriver' after he's fucking carried it for a thousand years.

Plot of the episode, aside from stupid 'Doctor's gonna die' subplot, was really solid. The villain was suitably scary, and the side characters were actually pretty good and interesting.

Season nine doesn't feel worse than season eight yet, and the two-part episodes are being handled pretty well. Hopefully the quality continues to improve.

15. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Did anyone else think that the doctor 'ghost' was repeating the names because that had been recorded over the coords, and that he didn't attack them because they had mismatched info? At least, up until the reveal.

16. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Without seeing the fourth episode, I got to say that I'll be very disappointed if the solution is the doctor chooses to die to figure out the ghosts out and then comes back to life via his will/deux ex machina. That would be, like, the third or fourth time that happened. :/

17. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Liked the episode, but what I like even more is evolution of the Twelfth Doctor's costume and style. In his first appearance he was somehow modernized late-Eleventh (who was by that time more into Victorians coats instead of tweed jackets). Which was fine since he was just establishing his persona. But now, he's more into casual style, Sonic Sunglasses and rock 'n' roll giving him something unique to be remember for in the future.

18. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I'm really liking this season actually. The two parters are a great idea and they're doing nice things with the Doctor and Clara's characters

19. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So, there's been the body of an alien king floating around in a lake somewhere since the eighties?

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Decomp is hella fast in freshwater, due to high oxygen levels and all the bacteria floating around.

Applying science and logic to Doctor Who is what the cool guyz do. :cool: