1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else Video Games Thread [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erandil, Oct 28, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Dellez

Dellez Seventh Year

I think for a lot of people, their preferred modern Fallout depends on when they got into the series. For people who played the originals (or didn't play 3 first), they think NV is a more Fallout-y Fallout, and thus the better game. For people who got 3 without knowing much about the ones before it, 3 is considered the defining experience.

I'm in the second camp. Fallout 3 is a better experience for me, even if I find it less replayable than NV. The two biggest things FO3 has over NV are atmosphere and exploration. In 3, the atmosphere is felt everywhere and it lends itself to the exploration of the world. You go into a metro tunnel, and you go on edge, keeping an eye out for ghouls or raiders. Other positives: The side stories, and also the myriad of other little stories you can find out in the wasteland, are well done and interesting. Vault exploration is fun. The side quests, sometimes related to the side stories, are mostly all interesting.

New Vegas does do a lot of things better than 3. Combat was vastly improved with things like iron-sights, gun mods, and the ballistic fist. The story is somewhat better. I've seen people praise NV's story as this great thing, miles ahead of 3, but I feel it's just somewhat better and harder to get invested in. 3's story wasn't great, but you could ignore it and just go gallivanting into the wasteland (may or may not be a selling point). NV really shines in the DLC department, where everything that people like about it, everything that made the modern Fallout games good really comes out. There's a more personal story, atmosphere, dark humor, and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anybody played the new dragon quest? It looks so 'dynasty warriors' to me, and that's holding me back from a purchase.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I got into the series playing Fallout: Tactics when I was a teenager but I never really got invested until New Vegas came out. Played Fallout 3 after completing NV a couple of times and decided that I liked 3 more because there's a lot less empty space in it. I got bored walking from place to place in New Vegas and while there are interesting things every so often, most of them are protected by critters far more powerful than you are at any given point so they're blocked behind a de facto level wall.

The same goes for Fallout 3, mostly, but it's offset by the fact that there's just so much more stuff that you can spend time investigating. New Vegas switches between desert and town with little else to keep you occupied. Fallout 3 has towns, subways, the remains of an elevated freeway, tons and tons of random buildings, and the opportunity to use a nuclear weapon.

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's exactly that. If you're not into Musou games, don't bother.

There's definitely RPG elements in DQH though.

5. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    FO3 may have more stuff everywhere, but, well, most of that stuff is stupid.

6. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    OK I've settled on 3, what are the best mods that won't alter the game itself too much?

7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  8. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

Yeah, superior if you like only incoherent stories.

Fite me irl

9. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Nah. Ain't worth fisticuffs. It's not like you told me Oblivion > Morrowind...

But meh. I enjoyed NV and FO3 both a shit ton.

10. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

He did not choose the original game or its sequel, therefore the above sentence is wrong ;)

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Anyone here played Wasteland 2 Director's Cut yet?

Kind of curious on how different it is from when the game first released.

12. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]
    /tencharacters

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  13. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

Anyone playing Crypt of the Necrodancer? I just got it and it's been pretty fun so far. Lots of weapons, dungeons, and enemies. The combat and mechanics are pretty unique as well, not to mention the kickass soundtrack.

14. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Life is Strange's ending was a solid conclusion, which given these kind of games is rare.

Comments on E5 so avoid if you haven't played

Kind of wanted Nathan Prescott to get redeemed just a little bit, was disappointed I couldn't do anything to save him. Then again you couldn't really save anyone which is the whole point of the story I guess. The ending was just extremely bitter.

15. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anyone else picked up the new Tales game? Just released yesterday.

16. demonturtle

demonturtle Squib

I did, Koalas. I'm liking it so far, even though I only played it for a couple of hours. The battle system always takes me a few minutes to get used to and the in battle camera is kind of annoying because sometimes it gets to close up and I'm like can't see! but its fun. :)

17. Gengar

High Score:
    Ugh, still massively burnt from Abyss and Xillia - the last two Tales games I've played. I don't think there's a cast of characters I actively detested more in all fiction.

Tbf, it could just be the protags I hated. I've tried to burn those games from my memory...

18. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

19. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

The one thing that could make me lose faith in the devs is a 'Blood DLC', like for TW:Shogun 2. It isn't Warhammer if there's no blood or dismemberment.

20. Gengar

High Score:
    AC: Syndicate looks to be getting positive reviews, which is nice.

I wish they'd fuck off all the Clancey games and make me Pirate's Creed already though...

Not open for further replies.