1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP Questions that don't deserve their own thread V2

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sesc, Oct 22, 2014.

1. MoltenCheese

MoltenCheese Seventh Year

Good point, but I was just trying to point out that ghosts and poltergeists are perceived differently by squibs, that poltergeists are not "covered by the same rules as ghosts with regards to muggle/squib perception."

2. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

But is there any canon evidence that backs it up, or any kind of canon fact about squib and/or muggle perception of ghosts? I can't think of any.

3. MoltenCheese

From Ghosts by J.K. Rowling, Pottermore

This passage tells us that muggles cannot see ghosts. Squibs are non-magical people (muggles) born to at least one magical parent. Thus, squibs cannot see ghosts.

On the other hand, canon shows us that squibs can see poltergeist (Filch can see Peeves). Muggles and squibs can see poltergeists, while they cannot see ghosts. So, we can know that there is some kind of physical difference between the two.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  4. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

What happens to people who are expelled from Hogwarts? We know Dumbledore pulled strings for Hagrid but is there any other mention of expulsions?

5. MoltenCheese

If a student gets expelled from Hogwarts, the Ministry of Magic confiscates his/her wand and destroy it. Hagrid is the only case of expulsion in the canon until now.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

A common fan solution to this is moving to another country and attending a school there, for example Durmstrang or Beauxbatons.

However, I like to think that various ministries and schools cooperate on this so if you get expelled from Hogwarts, then the other schools won't take you either.

7. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

I was wondering what they do with their lives. Pure bloods normally know nothing of the Muggle world so they can't move out there. And if they're expelled before OWL exams presumably they can't have any theoretical jobs because they're uneducated.

8. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

I think the only examples we have are Hagrid and Grindelwald. One got a job at Hogwarts and the other became a dark wizard. I guess they find something to do.

Besides, if a squib (Filch) and an expelled student can find a job, there are probably other jobs that don't require the use of a wand.

9. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Is there an official explanation for Grindewald not having his wand snapped? I would say he either ran and didn't give it up or had another one made on the sky.

10. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

It is clearly mentioned that he was expelled and that he was sixteen. I don't know if it's specifically mentioned that his wand wasn't snapped, but if it wasn't, it's probably because he had his OWLs by then. Either way, he left the country after his expulsion.

11. Russano

Russano Disappeared

I've always preferred the interpretation that they DON"T snap your wand, that in Hagrid's case it was a result of the Chamber thing, coupled with the fact that he was half giant. Snapping someones wand always seemed like a violation of personal property (not that wizards would necessarily have that.)

12. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

There are multiple instances in canon where expulsion is associated with the snapping of the wand.

Ollivander, in PS, when Harry is buying his wand:
    Owl in OotP from the Ministry:
    Before the Ministry hearing in OotP
    I believe that it's a common practice to snap the wand at the time of expulsion.

Besides, there are other instances of wands being/getting snapped in canon that don't back the fanon idea of anathema to the wizarding world in general.

13. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

This all makes sense from the perspective of a student never proving his ability to control his magic, but Fred and George didn't seem fussed about ditching Hogwarts early. Then again, they were already of age.

Also, I'm curious if there's evidence one way or the other if an adult convicted of capital crimes would have their wand snapped. In Voldemort's case, he was never arrested and his wand was retrieved by Wormtail, and Sirius escaped so there's no reason they'd give him back his old wand if it hadn't been snapped. On the other hand, Bellatrix also escaped and used a wand that Ollivander recognized as hers. Perhaps her wand was kept at Azkaban and they raided the wand storage to return all the escaping Death Eaters their wands. It would explain why Barty Crouch Jr. never had his while hidden at home.

So it seems like they won't snap your wand unless you fail to earn it in the first place.

14. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

Fred and George were also not expelled.

There are also other students who withdrew from Hogwarts post DOM. I wonder if there is anything that sheds the light on whether voluntary withdrawal would result in a snapped wand.

15. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Wasn't there something about needing a single OWL to be considered an adult wizard? Or is that fanon?

16. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I'm pretty certain that was never in the books.

17. MoltenCheese

That would be a fanon idea. According to the DH, a wizard is considered an adult after he comes of age (at age seventeen).

18. SeekingSerenity

SeekingSerenity Third Year

High Score:
    nvm deliete this
    On topic : Do lycans have natural occlumency or was that just fannon??

19. esran

esran Professor

Sounds like the deranged babbling of a lunatic.
    (no its not canon.)

20. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Does it ever state how many students on average Hogwarts hosts?