1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP Questions that don't deserve their own thread V2

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sesc, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

When did Tonks become an Auror? Was there ever a year mentioned?

2. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Based on that and McGonagall's assessment that Harry would need to do three more years' studies after Hogwarts to become an auror, it sounds like she'd earned her badge the previous summer [1994].

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I think there was something about calculating the entire thing backwards from the time the Auror training took. Lemme see if I can find it.

Inline-Edit: Yes, here it is.

OotP:

That's summer of '95, so she became an Auror in '94, and since training takes three years as far as we know, she started it in '91. Assuming she also started directly after Hogwarts, this means she finished 90/91, the year before Harry went to Hogwarts, and was born 72/73.

4. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

There was never any mention, in the books, of whether Aurors wore any sort of official robes when on duty, was there?

5. Sesc

I recall looking that up, and getting as far as OotP:

I deduced from that that Auror robes were scarlet ... and then made them blue XD

Then again, could be it's just that one Auror (it's Williamson, and he wears scarlet again in the atrium scene when Fudge arrives to see Voldemort).

I'm not sure if there was anything in DH, we had a few Auror scenes there.

6. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Voldemort's Ministry might have instituted a rule about wearing uniforms that wasn't there before though.

Hmm.

Thank you nonetheless.

7. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Do we know anything about Barnabas Cuffe for sure except for him being the editor-in-chief of the Daily Prophet and his membership in the Slug Club?

E.g. his date of birth, his general appearance, his character?

8. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

Not much. He was Slughorn's student so he was at Hogwarts before 1981 (Snape had taught for 14 years in OotP). His appearance is totally unknown, and as for his character, we can only make suppositions based on his employing Rita Skeeter and the Prophet being the Minister's private press agency. Even that, we don't know how much was his decision and how much he was forced to do by the law.

9. Andrew Johnson

Andrew Johnson Disappeared

High Score:
    well he did work for dp so we can assume that he wasnt a nice guy and had it in for dumble and harry.

10. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Not really. For all we know the ministry threatened the Prophet's reporters with jail time if they didn't side with the ministry. Also remember people only started taking Harry seriously was after the Quibbler article. This means that they probably only had Fudge's testimony to go on, and Dumbledore's word at what Harry was saying. I would wonder myself why someone who claimed a terrorist was back never spoke up with the news.

11. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Did they? I wasn't aware of that, so thanks. Do you know who said that in canon? Or was it something JKR only mentioned afterwards?

Fuck, now I have to rewrite quite a bit of my outline for a Cuffe-centered fanfiction...

12. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

It's just speculation. However we do know from canon that Fudge was doing everything he could to discredit Harry and Dumbledore. It stands to reason that Fudge probably said something to the Prophet to keep them in his pocket.

It is canon that Ministry workers where under much scrutiny by the Fudge administration and that Dumbledore sympathizers where fired according to Remus in OotP.

13. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't know about how much/if the ministry was pressuring the Daily Prophet but it seems a bit unlikely. It seems a bit unlikely since I'm pretty sure the DP has said unsavoury things about the ministry on numerous occasions.

Why not just treat it like a normal newspaper and say that they write whatever sells?

Going off track here for a small anecdote: Before I got into Harry Potter, a friend of mine was explaining the magical world to me and brought up the Daily Prophet. My first thought was that it was the opposite of a newspaper and instead of telling past news it told future news such as "Minister Fudge will fall down on the second step of Gringotts tomorrow at 9:52pm" or something similar.

14. Redhawk

Redhawk First Year

Was the reason Ginny had a crush on Harry because she read the Harry Potter fairy tale books or is that fanon?

15. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

Thats fanon. There is no evidence that books were written about Harry in particular.
    All we know ist that he is mentions in a few books, like "The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts" when they talk about Voldemort.

16. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In my opinion, it was a combination of that, Ron's tales of their adventures in First year and just being told bedtime stories about him.

Then again, a malnourished frame, diminutive size and meek personality might just be what turns Ginny on.

Protip: If your planned post starts with "In my opinion ...", you need read the rules again and then ... not post.
    -Sesc

17. Matiwariat

Matiwariat Muggle

The lexicon mentions that portkeys "must" be made an authorized person, was that ever expanded on? Is there a canon way of detecting illegal portkeys?

Also, a similar question about apparition. I don't think there was a way of detecting/tracking that beyond the trace if the caster was underage but I am not sure about the newer material on pottermore etc.

18. Sesc

I think the "must" is meant as in, required by law, not circumstances. It probably comes from the scene in OotP, where Fudge blusters something about authorised Portkeys, when Dumbledore sends Harry to Hogwarts from the Attrium. And since he did so before, they probably can't detect it. I'm not aware it was said specifically, though.

Also, Harry apparated in HBP (cave --> Hogwarts) and got no automatic warning, so it's more likely than not they can't detect it ... or at least it was before DH. The trace is vague as hell, so who knows.

On Pottermore, I'm lacking the overview.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, Harry's cave-Hogsmeade apparition in HBP was during the school year and since we don't see any Hogwarts student get any "you're performing magic!" letters from the Ministry during the time they're at Hogwarts, it seems a fair assumption that the Ministry just ignores the Trace while the kids are (expected to be) at school.

20. Lesath

Lesath Second Year

High Score:
    There was also mentioned that magic can't be traced to a particular person - so if Harry performed magic in company of Dumbledore then it was thought to be Dumbledore's doing.
    More interesting seems if they can tell apart what spells/curses/etc. was used. It would mean users of prohibited branches could be caught by performing in proximity of underage wizards...