1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP Questions that don't deserve their own thread V2

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sesc, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Or the Basilisk could magically shrink to accommodate the pipes.

2. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Hope this doesnt count as to abstract for this thread btu it does relate to the question.

The pipes could be echanted to be bigger inside... but why would they, they only need to deal with standard water flow, maybe charmed not to break sure. Look at pipes in appartment building, most are only 2 inches at most, only the buildings termination pipe is big.

And size changing basilisk reeks of bad fandom.

I always found the one in the movie far to large. At most I can see it being maybe a foot across at most.

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I agree with Erotic. Length isn't the issue, it's all about the girth.

HPQ: Is there any information on the giants after Voldemort used them in the war?

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You guys are thinking of "pipe" in far too modern a sense. Think about the castles you've visited, or other ancient plumbing like Roman sewers and aqueducts. There's no reason to think Hogwarts is any different. The "pipes" are likely to be more like culverts, and almost definitely not under pressure. Not unless they had a surviving Roman bath complete with all the machinery.

This is an example of a Roman underground aqueduct:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  5. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

Well, the pipe does terminate in a perfectly modern girls' bathroom with taps, stalls and toilets. And as the bathroom in question is in the second floor – way above water level – there has to be pressure (or magic or magical pressure) involved to get running water in there.

So yeah, Hermione was wrong. The basilisk doesn't move through pipes, it moves in a special, purpose-built, secret, magically expanded passageways intended for the use of people or beings speaking parseltongue. I mean, why would Salazar want to wade through shit to get into his secret chamber?

6. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Actually, if you recall, that specific tap was said to have never worked. Seems to imply the tunnel to the Chamber was different to the others.

But I don't think the topic of conversation was the tunnel to the Chamber per se, but rather other routes around the castle.

Also I had always just assumed the taps etc just conjured water. I mean, the ones in the Prefects' Bathroom are almost certainly are magical.

7. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

It's important to keep in mind that according to Pottermore, the plumbing was only installed in the 18th century. Before then, "the Chamber was accessed through a concealed trapdoor and a series of magical tunnels."

8. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Were there actual orphanages in 80's England?

9. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Yes. They're known as "Children's Homes" and are typically run by the Child Services department of the Local Council, but there are also a number run by charities, most particularly Bernardo's.

The aim, however, is always to get the children into foster care.

10. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I kinda think everywhere had to have orphanages otherwise what do you do with the orphans?

11. Ankan

Ankan Professor

I heard they are excellent for lunch, especially with a garlic sauce.

12. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Relatives, adoption agencies and foster homes. According to wikipedia, the number of orphans in the first world had decreased dramatically compared to the era when orphanages were first founded. Like Taure said, they might be kept at children's homes for a while, but I doubt children actually grow and spend years there. My question comes from reading fics where Harry grows up in an orphanage like Tom, and I find it more likely that if he was given to child services as a baby, he would have been adopted pretty quickly.

13. Chadrew

Chadrew Second Year

What Ministry department or office would be responsible for deciding that certain stuff is "Non-Tradeable Material"?

14. MoltenCheese

MoltenCheese Seventh Year

Most likely the Beast Division of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, seeing that many non-tradeable material are eggs of magical creatures (dragons, acromantula, etc).

15. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

Is Kreacher mentioned to be working at Hogwarts as soon as Harry inherits him? Or is it until the chapter in which Harry has the elves tail Malfoy that Kreacher's job situation is mentioned?

16. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I believe Dumbledore tells Harry to call for Kreacher, to learn who has inherited Grimmauld Place after Sirius has died, either him or Draco. Turns out it's Harry, and Harry asks what he should do with him, and then asks if he can send him to Hogwarts to work, and Dumbledore says that would be fine, all in the same meeting.

17. theminikiller

theminikiller Third Year

In alot of fanfiction Kingsley Shacklebolt becomes the minister for magic after the war. Is this canon?

18. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Iirc he was made acting minister according to HPwiki. As for the books themselves they never mention his name in the epilogue.

In fanfiction we always hear that Dumbledore failed Sirius by not listining to his story. Is there any canon evidence that says that Dumbledore should have realized something was up?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  19. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

None. Even Remus, who was far closer to both Peter and Sirius, thought he was guilty.

20. voxdeo

voxdeo Squib

High Score:
    No, not really. There isn't really anything to say that Dumbledore was the Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot at the time. It shows he was part of the court cases and that he was respected, but not that he was in charge. You can make some very good arguments both ways but there isn't anything in the books.