1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Overwatch

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Nemrut, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Zarya/Lucio.

I put all my effort into covering up my team mates mistakes. It paid off significantly, not to say I played perfectly, but I did well enough. It felt pretty surreal.

2. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

I was playing the PTR all last night and for shits and giggles I decided to see what rank i would get if I played only Widow. My widow isn't bad, it is pretty good honestly but she is really not a hero you can play all the time.It isn't really a perfect metric either since the PTR comp mode is a complete shit show with everyone picking Sombra (she's kind of good against Widow), people picking Winston to counter Widow (Also good against Widow), and generally playing with gold and plat players who all see a Widow and assume I'm awful so they don't pick normal heroes and start griefing.

I went 5 - 5 and got ranked at 2,300 though I have no idea how much the fact that PTR says my season 2 rank is 2,400 affects that. I got accused of hacking only 3 times!

3. Naja

Naja Fourth Year

Probably had my best game ever. Was 2-2, 99%-99% on Lijiang Tower and had a player disconnect in the last five minutes. Ended up winning with 89 eliminations in total on Tracer and Reaper.

4. Jon

5. Jon

God fucking dammit.

I hit 2902 now I'm 2874 because of fucking children.

"Hey can you play reaper?" (As Soldier)

"I think the genji might be better changing." (Genji duoing with the guy who asked.)

"No, please change."

"Alright."

We lose.

They start talking shit.

I get 4 gold card.

They immediately leave without saying anything else.

Still loss, so their salty silence does not ease my pain. :(

6. JErosion

JErosion DA Member

Ill never understand the whiners that want to complain about who is playing who. Sure there is the Meta, but playing the meta doesn't mean auto-win and going off meta doesn't mean auto-lose. That person who just picked Symmetra could be an amazing one, (aggressive Symmetra) that attack Hanzo that everyone is bitching about gets four head shots in a row and then wipes the last two players with a dragon arrow.

7. mort

mort Groundskeeper

It's not the off meta picks that irritate me. It's the people who insta-lock Genji at the beginning and then refuse to switch while everything is going to hell in a handbasket and they're sucking ass. And if you're not willing to change (unless you're on an essential role) then you shouldn't be asking others to either.

8. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

In all honesty, the 'meta' is the easiest way to win. Quite often, I would agree that blindly following the meta is a pretty poor idea but genuinely following the meta will help a lot if you are plat or above. A lot of games 100% come down to someone picked a Mercy instead of Lucio, or decided that DVa was the pick etc.

Meta in Overwatch is actually very simple and the only real areas where you can switch off meta is on the heroes that are difficult to play which in all honesty are just McCree, Genji and Ana in this meta. And honestly, as long as you nanoboost Reaper, you could still play Ana missing most of your shots.

9. Jon

Okay! Back on top! 2919.

I got matched with the duo of that retard genji that dropped me below 2900, without said genji we won this time.

Re: the Meta discussion.

I don't care if people play on meta or not, I care about them contributing to the team and the victory.

The problems with Genji's is they're either bad or good, there is no in between. They offer no utility to the team aside from killing the enemy, so if they don't fulfill that single role than they're a liability—especially because they require additional support to reach their full potential.

10. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

The issue with picking outside of the meta means there might be a reason for the meta in the first place.

In my game yesterday we lost a KOTH 1-3. Every single time we lost a match it was 99 to 100. This was all because we had a D.Va against a Zayra and Roadhog. The D.Va was useless and not just due to player skill.

11. mort

mort Groundskeeper

I think thats overly harsh. Sure the metas for a reason, but usually that doesnt come into play unless youre either choosing a really poor choice (symmetra comes into mind) or if youre at a really high skill level where minute differences matter. Besides dva can be pretty useful as a flanker and to shut down ults like roadhogs and reapers.

12. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No Zarya and Roadhog are really shitty people to try take a D.Va against. Unless the Hog just lets the D.Va chew him up, it's a bad matchup.

13. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    How are you guys feeling about the 1 v 1 matches? I really enjoy them, although I feel the Symmetra, Torbjörn and Bastion matches can be extremely frustrating.

D.Va is weird, as losing your mech first actually seems to be the better strategy.

Still, a lot of fun. Wish Mercy was in there though. Unlikely to take longer than Symmetra or Torb fights.

14. Jon

1v1 and 3v3 are my jam.

I can't wait till they come out on the normal servers.

15. Jon

Anyone have a spare Blizzcon code? :awesome0

Edit: Annnddd back below 2900. I am so sick of bad genji's. They take up a perfectly good spot and get out dps'ed by both the tanks... just... le'sigh.

16. Aurion

Aurion Headmaster

That's a Genji-main problem. A bigger issue than any metagame concerns, imo.

17. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh. You can play around insta-locking Genji/Hanzo scrubs by picking a hero and giving them killer assists (Ana/Zarya).

No fucking chance of that if they lock Widow. You may as well go take a shit.

18. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I really loathe the fact that, in competitive, you always lose more points than you win. So, if you win two games and lose two games, you are not where you started but rather way lower in terms of points.

That's really frustrating.

19. FlyingOctopus

FlyingOctopus Third Year

They talked about that at the Blizzcon QnA i think Nemrut.
    Basically Blizz programmed the placement code wrong after making adjustments towards S2 and a lot of people got calibrated too high. Now the matchmaker is trying to compensate in getting people to lower rankings but it's overcompensating.
    In S3 people will generally calibrate lower in their placements and the point gain/loss will be more balanced too.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  20. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Man, I suck at 1v1. Never a skill I've honed.

That being said, I've yet to get 'my' heroes.