1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

General Mafia Discussion

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Prophylaxis, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    Spoke with Eido and if Momos game doesn't fire I can probably start my game earlier if needed - probably can start as soon as next Friday which means I may put up sign ups Monday/Tuesday next week. Thought I'd post a quick summary of the game I'm planning on hosting here, the full rule list and setup has been mostly finalised and had it reviewed by about half a dozen people so far. Mostly just after getting an idea of interest in playing the setup to see if I need to amend numbers, if you've got any questions about it feel free to ask.

It's an Owners Market

This will be a 10:3 open game & mechanic with mafia having daytalk and all players will start as Vanilla. Town & Mafia players will start with different fixed $ amounts at game start.

There will be a pool of 20 potential Auction-able items in the OP, 4 of these will be selected at random every day phase to be bid on. Bids will take place in your private QTs and auctions will not take place after D4. Items cannot be repeated, once they've come into play they will be removed from the potential list the following day. There will be a mid day auction update which will state the highest bid per item however not the winner, the same will occur at dayend.

Day and night phases will have have a fixed length of 4/1 while the auction mechanic is in play and change to 2/1 from D5 onwards when it has finished. Majority votes will not cause a lynch until D5 onwards, prior to that the player with the most votes when deadline hits will be lynched.

Players will vote for a Marketplace Owner in the thread D1, the player elected has the ability to increase the odds of 4 items being up for auction every night phase via 400% done privately. The Marketplace owner must have a legacy in place to hand over the role to upon death, the announcement of new Marketplace owner is made publicly. There are a few small other mechanics in play, all of these will be stated openly inside the OP when I put up signups, minor changes may be made between now and then.

2. Miner

Miner Order Member

^Sounds interesting if complicated.

Put me down chief.

3. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    Will do.

It's actually not anywhere near as complicated as it probably reads above. It'll be a lot clearer when the sign up list is posted.

4. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've never seen anything like it. Sign me down too.

5. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Still breathing, so will play anything and everything. Sounds cool though!

6. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Yep, I'll definitely play in Reg's game if StD doesn't fire.

7. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:

8. Miner

Miner Order Member

Seeing as this subforum has (I believe) grown a lot through offsite recruiting (the only people I played with in my first game who were regular DLP players were fonti, Von, Citrus, Newcomb, and Kai. And maybe Cobalt), I've been considering playing offsite somewhere. I know that people here have recommended MU, and Q's site, but I'm curious...

Where else do yall play? Is there a particular "best place to play mafia besides DLP"?

9. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

I've played on MafiaScum and MU. Wasn't a big fan of MS. MU has a lot of variety, but it's pretty solid.

10. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Realms Beyond, which is basically a MP Civ forum at this point. Scene is pretty dead there now, but when games happen there's a high caliber.

Also a couple on Civfanatics (horrible) and somewhere else before I found DLP.

11. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

MTGS is high quality, but a different sort of game. Much, much longer deadlines.

12. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

mafiascum is... a mixed bag. Some of the best and worst players on the internet. The average game is very low quality. But it also has a lot of games running all the time. So if you can one with a great moderator and a player list that cares about playing well, it can be fun.

13. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

MU for quicker deadlines, MTGS for longer ones, is my recommendation.

I can't in good faith strongly recommend MS, as the attitude of the playerbase in several games I've been in/followed has been toxic as hell, and the average game quality is low. There's some great players there, but it'd take some serious handpicking of games to make it a worthwhile experience.

14. Miner

Miner Order Member

Hm, looks like MU might wind up being the choice after all.

15. Regfan

Regfan First Year

High Score:
    I'd agree with most of Eidos assessment of the sites, I've played predominantly at MS but the site meta has shifted there in an unfavorable way to the point where it's very hard to find a decent playerlist and thus wouldn't recommend it.

16. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Mtgs is fun if you want to spend more time on a game.
    Deadlines measured in weeks not days. And a fair amount of player overlap.

17. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So who's down for a lightning round of sock puppet mafia?

18. Fluffiness

Fluffiness DA Member

Sounds fun.

19. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

(Posting this for Thingyman)

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 4)

Hello everyone! :)

I would very much like to invite your community to take part in Season 4 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual online tournament series that pits representatives from various forum Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and become their “Champion”.

Season 1 ran in 2013-2014, while Season 2 and Season 3 ran in 2015 and 2016, respectively. As of Season 3, a total of 160 communities have been represented in the Mafia Championship, making it the largest cross-forum event on the Internet.

I hope that all this sounds very exciting to you guys :)

1. Do you accept the invite?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to me before April 13 to ensure yourselves a spot. If you need more time than this to think about whether you wish to participate, let me know and I can extend the deadline.

If you agree to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 22.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes

• You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
    • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
    • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.
    • Relevant only to communities that participated last season: Season 3 Finalists are not eligible to play again this season.

2. Season 4 Format

The tournament structure

• 135 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
    • 9 Qualifying Games will be played consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. 1 player will advance directly to the Finale Game from each Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. I.e. 9 of the 15 finalists will be found this way.
    • A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 3 will along with me discuss and vote to determine a group of 30 wildcard players who will play in 2 Semi Final Wildcard Games. From each of these two games, three players will directly advance to the Finale Game.
    • The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall hold the title of Season 4 Champion.

The setup

MOUNTAINOUS:
    12 Vanilla Townies
    3 Mafia Goons

We’re going back to basics for Season 4. Each season we’re changing it up, and for this season it’s finally time to play without any power roles or abilities at all. Pure mafia. You have only yourself and your reading/bluffing abilities to count on.

Relevant mechanics info

• Day start.
    • Deadline Lynch w/ Option for Majority starting Day 2. I.e. when day timer runs out, person with most votes will be lynched. However, day can also be ended early (starting Day 2) if there is ever a majority of votes on one person.
    • If there is a tied lynch, one of the tied players will be randomly lynched.
    • No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
    • Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize them into games with deadlines that suit their preferences).
    • Thread is locked during Night Phases.

3. Season 4 Timeline

The first Qualifying Game is currently set to start April 24th. Additional games will take place in the 1-3 months following. I will create a Doodle and find out the best times to start the various games so that preferably everyone gets to play during a time that suits them well.

Kind regards,
    Thingyman

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Skype (thingyman) or Discord (Thingyman#6075)

___

Newcomb notes:

I played this last year, it was super, super fun and I met a good handful of players - yogsloth, GeneralHandkerchief, Stanari, Whiskeyjack, just off the top of my head - that I'd play with again anytime, anywhere.

Whoever we send should be stoked to heavily invest in some mafia games. I'm confident we have some people here who could be standouts in the tournament, but it does take a time investment, you can't just play casually 45 minutes a day if you want to have an impact.

I'd be happy to talk about my experience with it last year if anyone has any questions. I'm not eligible to be our representative this year as I made it to the finals last year, but I will be a judge this year (I do accept bribes fyi).

I don't expect we'll need anything as formal as a vote, just put your name forward if you're interested and we'll talk about it.

20. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Maybe.

I'm getting married this summer as many know, so. If I'm not going to be able to participate in wild card game/finals, I'll decline since that would be my end goal/expectation.