Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Support > Tech Support
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #61
kaleironfist
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
Okay, I don't really have any plans right now. But if I were to decide to start using 3 screens, will this be sufficient? Since I might or might not do it. Can I buy this one now, and if/when I decide to use 3 screens, attach another another one in SLI? Will that be enough?

Like I said, I prefer ASUS, so for now, going with:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131830 that coleam suggested.
Yes you can add a 670 at any time and performance should be enough, though that motherboard will have no expansion slots left if you do SLI.
kaleironfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #62
KaiDASH
Order Member

DLP Supporter Donor Star
if you think you are going to go 3 screens, get an equivalent ati card, (single) nvidia cards are only good for 1 or 2 screens.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #63
kaleironfist
First Year

You'd be wrong, the 600-series graphics cards from Nvidia allow up to 4 screens.
kaleironfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #64
Beonid
Fifth Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Doesn't mean they're good at it. Nvidia's Surround technology is software based rather than hardware. ATI Eyefinity, for all its bugs, is still more efficient.

Also, Arma III is looking amazing, so I reckon you'll need at least a 670 to run it on full settings. 670 is also good choice if you want the potential upgrade path to two 670s in SLI.
You have two options. Wait until I leave and try to murder Abigail - but then Iíll come back. Iíll slay every lice-ridden peasant, anything that moves and canít climb a tree. Or you can try to live honorable lives, clear your conscience, and start again. The choice is yours.
Beonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #65
coleam
Unspeakable

If you think you might need expansion cards for anything (wireless, additional USB ports, firewire, whatever), then the AsRock board I suggested would be the better choice. With the ASUS board, you only have three expansion slots, and the third will be covered by your second graphics card if you do SLI in the future. The AsRock will still have a few open. Also, AsRock was formerly ASUS's budget brand, which has since spun off into making its own high-end boards, so they're still sorta ASUS...

Regarding graphics cards, two 670s should be more than enough to run three screens, though Kai and Beonid are right - AMD Eyefinity is the superior multi-monitor solution. Doesn't mean that NVidia Surround is useless or unworkable though, and the NVidia cards are superior to the AMD cards for less money.

coleam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #66
Castiel
Headmaster

Ok, let us switch the motherboard to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157295

If I were to go for AMD/ATI, which card would be equivalent to the 670?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #67
coleam
Unspeakable

Quote:
If I were to go for AMD/ATI, which card would be equivalent to the 670?
The 7970. It'll be about $30-$70 more, depending on which one you get.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #68
Castiel
Headmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleam View Post
The 7970. It'll be about $30-$70 more, depending on which one you get.
Which one would you suggest? Money's not really a problem right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beonid View Post
Doesn't mean they're good at it. Nvidia's Surround technology is software based rather than hardware. ATI Eyefinity, for all its bugs, is still more efficient.

Also, Arma III is looking amazing, so I reckon you'll need at least a 670 to run it on full settings. 670 is also good choice if you want the potential upgrade path to two 670s in SLI.
Same as above. If I decide to stick with 670, which one is good?

Also, I am thinking of posting the final rig I decide on on some hardware forum(s), since I will be getting parts from half-way around the world I don't want to get something bad/incompatible. Any suggestions (on the forums)?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:30 AM   #69
coleam
Unspeakable

Quote:
Which one would you suggest? Money's not really a problem right now.
The 670 beats the 7970 at lower resolutions (up to 1080p), but gets edged out past that. If you know for certain that you'll be gaming on multiple monitors before the time comes to upgrade your graphics, then the 7970 is the way to go. It's got more VRAM (3 GB vs 2 GB on the 670), and Eyefinity is superior to NVidia Surround.

Quote:
Also, I am thinking of posting the final rig I decide on on some hardware forum(s), since I will be getting parts from half-way around the world I don't want to get something bad/incompatible. Any suggestions (on the forums)?
I used to be pretty active on the Toms Hardware forums, and they're pretty good for getting advice. Just follow the directions in the first sticky.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #70
Shadowfox
Muggle

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I just built a new gaming rig with the gigabyte windforce 670 oc and all I can say is you can't go wrong with it. It's extremely quiet (atleast to me) and runs all the games I play on the highest setting. Well worth the money spent!
Shadowfox is offline   Reply With Quote