Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 08-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #41
Lungs
Waver Velvet

Send a message via Skype™ to Lungs
I thought it was cutesy and funny, the new chapter.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:03 AM   #42
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungs View Post
I thought it was cutesy and funny, the new chapter.
This describes the entire story. I look forward to seeing if the sequel manages to be cutesy and funny while adding a stronger plot to the mix.
CheddarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:23 AM   #43
Mock Moniker
Order Member

Finally got around to reading this. I put it off because, well, the summary made it sound like it would be shitty. I only checked it out because of the overwhelmingly positive response it has gotten. It's surprisingly fun to read. For a lighthearted humor fic, this is top notch. I'm gonna go with 4/5
Mock Moniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #44
Drake
DA Member

Send a message via AIM to Drake
Updated and completed. Sequel might be awhile in starting according to the author.

I felt that the end was alright, but I'm kind of annoyed that the author decided to push off having Harry deal with the whole being human thing until the sequel.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #45
Hero of Stupidity
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I did not like the ending. It was too serious compared to the other parts of the fic, still it will be interesting to see how Harry will react to being human, and other people to him being "elf".

[Geth presence on Planet designate Eden Prime was eliminated by a squad of organic commandos and one lone elite commando, also organic. Addendum: Lone organic turned our hardware into amphibious organic]

[Repeat last statement]

[Repeating: Lone organic unit turned our hardware into an organic amphibious organism. Addendum: We got better.]
Hero of Stupidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #46
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Well... that was a weird way to end it. It does appear to mark the end of Harry's time spent parading about thinking he's an elf, but it doesn't feel like an ending.

Eh, at least it implies that with the sequel we'll be moving into canon territory a bit more. Harry is ten or so and is about to re-enter the world. Just a bit jarring.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #47
Alive and Free
Professor

I just read this whole story from start to finish for the first time. I liked it, though the ending didn't really fit with the tone of the previous chapters. Maybe the author's trying to set the tone for the sequel?

I also got pissed off at the author for killing Harry's dog.

Edit: 300th post. That's about 300 more posts than I ever expected to write.

Ernest Hemingway
Alive and Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #48
Alexeyy
Sixth Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via ICQ to Alexeyy Send a message via Yahoo to Alexeyy Send a message via Skype™ to Alexeyy
Ended stupidly. If it's supposed to be the end of the first part of the story then it shouldn't have ended with a cliffhanger. It's very frustrating.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #49
Frantic Author
Second Year

Send a message via AIM to Frantic Author Send a message via Skype™ to Frantic Author
That ending pissed me off. I mean, it made sense (Harry's scar was always going to give him away) but after how absolutely clever Harry was throughout the story it felt like a copout.

Hope the sequel's good.
Frantic Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #50
Styx0444
Headmaster

I loved the story as a whole, it was surprisingly well done, but the ending didn't fit at all. I understand Harry having trouble evading the cloaked man, since he's never had to run from wizards before, but the rest was just... strange.

Even excusing the jarring ending and the sudden change in tone, why bother trading for a ferry ticket in the first place? Harry didn't need one to get there, and given his previous behavior, it doesn't seem like he'd bother with such a thing. Yet he walks into a pub and cases the place, making it come across like the ticket was his goal all along. It feels like a crappy attempt to force the plot to move along, and while I can understand why the author did it, the execution feels sloppy.
Threat #2: Whoever is fucking our koalas. Stop it.
Styx0444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #51
Jormungandr
God of Magic

Agreed. Feels forced.
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Jormungandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #52
bob99
Professor

Yeah, the ending was unsatisfying. Hopefully the sequel gets finished and wraps up the loose ends.
bob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #53
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
First chapter of the sequel is up.

I thought it was good -- looks like things are going to start moving along better now that Harry is at Hogwarts. I also like how Harry is characterized. He's not letting anyone control him but he's not telling the adults off or anything either. It was fun.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #54
Styx0444
Headmaster

I liked it, but the characterizations of everyone aside from Harry felt off. Dumbledore didn't feel like Dumbledore, Snape didn't feel like Snape. The story as a whole has had this odd, dreamy feel to it so far. It's not that that's a bad thing, but I'm wondering if that'll change with more character interaction.

The author has done well so far with Harry on his own, I hope they can pull off Hogwarts as well.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #55
Saot
DA Member

It's sort of depressing that I was happy to see Dumbledore be willing to humor Harry somewhat rather than go out of his way to be a dick as he usually does in stories where Harry has an unusual pre-Hogwarts background.
Saot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #56
Heather_Sinclair
Headmaster

Send a message via MSN to Heather_Sinclair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx0444 View Post
I liked it, but the characterizations of everyone aside from Harry felt off. .
I thought Dumbledore was fairly well done. Snape was definitely off, but we have to take into consideration that he knows from the beginning that Harry was abused/neglected/abandoned/whatever. He still seems no-nonsense, just less antagonistic.

The only thing I didn't like was Harry's sudden change of heart to attend Hogwarts at the end considering how hard he was fighting it at the beginning. Another chapter and more bribery from Dumbledore, would have made the transition a little more realistic to me.

I still like the story very much.

~Warlocke

Heather_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #57
Styx0444
Headmaster

It's not that Dumbledore wasn't Dumbledore-y. It just felt like he... Wasn't really there... If that makes any sense. I'm not explaining it very well, and I'm not sure how to get it across. It goes with the dreamy quality I was talking about.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #58
Garden
Unspeakable

Its very fun, this story. Cute and light-hearted, with some cool world-building.
To early to give a rating to, though.
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #59
Anarchy
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
This story is alright, funny at times, but nothing mindblowing. Certainly readable though, but not without faults.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #60
blueswan142
Muggle

Just wanted to mention to anyone following this story, the sequel is up! It's called The Handbook of Elf Psychology and the first chapter is very comparable to her last fic. I give a 4/5 for displaying such a creative version Harry.... but will probably up the score if she keeps up the fantastic work for Harry attending Hogwarts... right now I don't feel she gets far into the story to really earn a 5/5.

Tags
author:evansentranced