Dark Lord Potter Forums Dark Lord Potter Forums  

Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Review Board
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donor Bar
PatronusCharm Banner

Old 01-30-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
MNoteboom
Muggle

When a Veela Cries by E. C. Scrubb - M

Title: When a Veela Cries
Author: E.C. Scrubb
Rating: M
Genre: Romance/Drama
Pairings: Harry/Fleur
Summary:
A tale of rage and revenge, of loss beyond what any person should have to bear . . . and a tale of love, Harry's only hope out of the darkness.
Link:Link

I was surprised not to see this story already here. It starts at the final task of the triwizard tournament. The story brings in some unique elements about both veela and horcruxes. The story is also almost completed as the author only has 2 more chapters to post. All in all, I think it is masterfully done. 5/5
MNoteboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
BTT
Unspeakable

It's in WBA, actually. That thread hasn't updated since 2012, though.

@Joe's Nemesis
BTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
Anarchy
Prisoner

DLP Supporter Donor Star
It's been several years since I've read this, but the only lingering thought is that of severe angst, which isn't my cup of tea.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
momo
First Year

This is way to angsty. Might as well have been written by an emo teen.....Also one is into that stuff, don't read.

1.25/5 from me.

Will be rounded down to one.
momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:33 AM   #5
Jarizok
Fourth Year

I read this years ago when I first came across it, and I agree that the angst is what stays with you most from this fic. That said, it's written fairly decently, and what I remember of the original elements in the plot is positive overall.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this fic to anyone, but I did enjoy the read back then. Rating the fic 1 is definately overly harsh. It's better than a lot of other fics out there, but it's not that good either, so a 3/5 seems about appropriate.
Jarizok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
Peter North
Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT View Post
It's in WBA, actually. That thread hasn't updated since 2012, though.

@Joe's Nemesis
It's a lot further along on FF.net.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Peter North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #7
nateskrage
Squib

The story is fairly well done in terms of writing mechanics. The grammar and spelling are both acceptable, which is more than I can say for many other stories. This automaticly gives it some standing in my book.

Where the story goes wrong is the plot. The whole premise of the story, that several dozen Death Eaters and some Dementors kill almost the entire population of Hogwarts, seems highly unrealistic and feels forced. When a Veela Cries also focuses far too much on Harry being angsty.

Overall, I would only recommend this story if you are a Harry/Fleur fan. For all others, it's best to pass on it. 2/5
nateskrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #8
Sir Snuffy
Third Year

I read this a long while back - I also assumed it'd have been mentioned here already xD

There is indeed a great deal of angst. However, I believe that it is one of the better Harry/Fleur fics out there. If you can stomach all the aforementioned angst, then go right ahead.

3.5 / 5, solid writing and a better than average plot.
Sir Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:37 PM   #9
pbluekan
Seventh Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
3/5. The writing quality is decent but the angst stopped me at chapter four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareOtters View Post
“I have to lick my balls that night,” said Sirius nervously.
pbluekan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:32 AM   #10
Raigan123
Squib

The first five chapters are so unrealistic it boggles the mind, after that the angst is almost crippling in its intensety. What bothered me most was the depiction of the dark arts as the epitome of Magic. Using dark magic spells and curses is seemingly the only way to win a fight. And, finally, the veelas.

The writing is sound and comprehensible for the most part. Because of that, 3/5.
Raigan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #11
Oriks
Squib

It's already been said, but yeah, lots of angst. While the writing's decent, the plot seems contrived, especially the beginning, and there's a lot of cringe-worthy elements. If I remember correctly, the Veela are living in warrior tribe things and enjoy verbally separating themselves from the human race as a whole. It goes a lot more into 'Veela magic' and soul stuff than I'd ever be able to stomach nowadays.

The setting and concept are interesting, but I've seen them done better. The actual grammar, syntax, punctuation, spelling, etc. are pretty good, but the rest of the story is the stuff of nightmares. Not in a good, this gives me chills kind of way. More like, lots of blood and gore, as well as unintentional . . . self-racism?

2/5 at best. I'd give it a 1/5 but for the fact that it's decently written in all of the technical areas.
Oriks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #12
Relic
High Inquisitor

The angst didn't bother me that much tbh... It was mostly the time in France with all the OCs that I found really boring. I remember enjoying it when they were back in Britain though. I intend to finish it at some point.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #13
mart3183
Squib

I like a well done Harry/Fleur fic as much as the next guy, although last I tried giving it a read it was much to angst for me. For me, the story needs a bit more to drive the plot forward instead of all the angst stuff, which doesn't add to the character development.

1.5/5
mart3183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:36 AM   #14
JA172HP
Squib

2/5

I typically like harry/fleur fics but I just can't get into this one. Killing off most of the characters in the first chapter followed by 40000 words of pure angst makes the story so slow that I just couldn't get past chapter 5. Would not recommend.
JA172HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:15 AM   #15
Joe's Nemesis
Death Eater
High Score: 2,058

Rec'ing a fic full of angst on DLP? This isn't going to end well. Hell, it's my story, and I love it, but for DLP tastes, I'd give it around a 2-2.5.

In hindsight, I'd of still kept the emotional rollercoaster as it's what makes part 3 and 4 believable, but I was still new at writing at that point, and handled pretty poorly.

Tags
angst, author: e.c.scrubb, drama, harry/fleur, romance, war