Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 08-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
hchan1
Sixth Year

All Problems Solved by Ruskbyte - M

Title: All Problems Solved
Author: Ruskbyte
Category: Horror/Mystery
DLP Category: The Alternate's
Rating: M
Words: 40,104
Published: August 3, 2008
Link: (ff.net): http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4446981/...roblems-Solved

Link (FFA): http://ruskbyte.fanficauthors.net/Al...lved/index.php
Summary:The puzzle is complete and the doorway open once more. With his memory curiously and painfully blank, Draco must find the missing Boy-Who-Lived... because if his mistakes catch up with him, they will tear his soul apart.

It's a sequel (of sorts) to Evil Be Thou My Good. What more needs to be said?

Sucks to be Malfoy. 5/5

The Prequel:
Title: Evil Be Thou My Good
DLP-Thread: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=143
Link (ff.net): http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2452681/1/
Link (FFA): http://ruskbyte.fanficauthors.net/Ev...My_Good/index/

Checked by Minion, September 1, 2013

Last edited by Dark Minion; 09-01-2013 at 01:37 PM.
hchan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Dirk Diggory
Seventh Year

5/5. As if the sequel to EBTMG would get less. And it's 50,000 words of beating up on Malfoy. Sweet.

I really wasn't a fan of his other recent HP fic with the Culture and assorted crap but this one is fun.
Dirk Diggory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
Tehan

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I was slightly iffy about this, since it was Draco-centric for the first half, but once more the build-up was more than worth it. Full marks.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Korisovra
Headmaster

Send a message via AIM to Korisovra Send a message via MSN to Korisovra Send a message via Yahoo to Korisovra
I may hate Draco with a serious bit of a passion, but I'm glad Ruskbyte decided to do something with EBTMG. Excellent stuff all the way around. 4.5/5

"I don't like poodles," muttered Batman, looking rather like a child being scolded.

Korisovra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
LuxDragon
Fourth Year

Damn, this fic was awesome. On the edge of your seat the whole time. Like some twisted mystery that we needed to see end. 5/5 as per the usual for Ruskbyte's fics.
LuxDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
DarkObelisk
Squib

5/5
It should be entered into the annual Draco kill off.
DarkObelisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
David
Squib

April 13th, 2007; Friday 13th. I really liked this "sequel", you don't notice it is a sequel until you have read a bit.

5/5
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
Modgudr
First Year

I personally enjoyed the confusion going through Draco's mind.

Between blending "reality" and Draco's memories, I could not tell for some time that he was already in the Labyrinth; the end though was rather confusing, because it kept alternating between "reality" and reality.

Very solid work.
Veiztu hv senda skal? Veiztu hv sa skal?
Modgudr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
Illution
Seventh Year

Great writing by Ruskbyte as always. The ends felt longer than it should be though. 5/5
Old 08-04-2008, 03:34 AM   #10
Goddessa39
DA Member

Well, that is a way to get rid of all your more annoying/dangerous enemies I guess. Or maybe just those looking for power above their station, ability, and right.

Yeah, I never expected a sequel to this either and it isn't nearly as good as it's infamous prequel. It is however not bad.

Draco so got what he deserved. 9/10.

Wars teach us not to love our enemies, but to hate our allies.
-W.L. George

"In truth, there was only one Christian. And he died on the cross."
"At times, one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid."
"Poets are shameless with their experiences; they exploit them."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Goddessa39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:39 AM   #11
Blaise
Golden Patronus

I'm no fan of horror shit, but Ruskbyte has drawn me in again with this sequel. No complaints at all: top-notch writing, killing Draco...what more is there to say?

5/5
Old 08-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #12
Krogan
Fourth Year
Alien in a Hat

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 2,719
All Problems Solved

Title: All Problems Solved
Author: Ruskbyte
Rating: Mature
Genre: Horror
DLP Category: Dark Arts
Pairing: Harry/Hermione but it really has nothing to do with the story
Summary: The puzzle is complete and the doorway open once more. With his memory curiously and painfully blank, Draco must find the missing Boy-Who-Lived... because if his mistakes catch up with him, they will tear his soul apart.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4446981/...roblems_Solved

This is the unexpected sequel to Ruskbyte's Evil Be Thou My Good and just as the beginning was it is very interesting. This primarily revolves around Draco and I know that might put a lot of you off but trust me when I say its worth reading to the end. I give it a 4/5 only because I think the very last bit of it was fairly pointless.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:30 AM   #13
Dark Minion
Bright Minion

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Krogan: Look here: http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=10374

Looking for a fandom?

Dark Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #14
Krogan
Fourth Year
Alien in a Hat

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 2,719
Damn I just got the update email about him posting it on FF.net so I didn't think to look anywhere else, well damn if a mod comes across this could they get rid of it for me?
Old 08-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #15
Banta
The Chosen One

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Very well written, but it wasn't able to draw me in like the first one. I stopped reading about 3/4 the way through because of this.

3/5
Banta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #16
Narf
Administrator
The Sugardaddy of Oz

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Too much Draco, too little Harry.

2/5.

I couldn't get into this at all. The first one is one of my favorite stories of all time, I couldn't stop reading what I started, but it took me all morning to read this because I got too bored and went and did something else. Honestly, there's nothing in this story I like, other than the extremely good writing (which is why it gets a 2/5 in the first place). It was uninteresting, barely graphic, and annoying most of the time. I'm just glad it was a one shot.

I'm the mother flippin' Rhymenocerous
My beats are fly and the birds are on my back
And I'm horny
I'm horny
If you choose to proceed you will indeed concede
Cos I hit you with my flow
The Wild Rhino Stampede.
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #17
fash
Seventh Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I had to skim this as I couldn't really get into it. Im not a fan of Non-Harry centric storys but considering the first story I gave this a chance.

This story seemed to be as well writen as Evil Be Thou My Good but the lack of 'Harry' in it ruined it for me.

3/5

Last edited by fash; 08-04-2008 at 09:10 PM.
fash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #18
nonjon
Alumni

I fucking loved Evil Be Thou My Good. But there was something missing here.

The way Harry uses the puzzle box as bait to his enemies is genius.
And almost always the scenes with the Cenobites are great. But this was so much Draco and Draco and Draco. The bits that really struck a nerve and got me eager to keep reading were fewer and farther between than in the original. Not enough Pinhead, not enough gore, not enough Harry. Plenty of intrigue and suspense to carry my interest to keep on reading.

In the end it was far less satisfying than the first. Structurally, the pace would work better if I didn't already hate Draco and have my mind made up on him.

Overall though, it is a partially disappointing, impressive but not that impressive follow-up to a truly brilliant fic. I still think it deserves a place in the library and will give it 4/5. But I've read Evil Be Thou My Good over two dozen times and I know I will re-read it again someday. This one though, I may revisit with fresher eyes and lowered expectations. But not more than once or twice.

In Ruskbyte's section of the FFA.net forums, I made a call for a sequel that I'd still love to see. Here's what I said back on March 5, 2007:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonjon
Alright, first off I will admit, among one-shots that need no sequel, this is most definitely one of them. The ambiance and eeriness of the fic is practically perfect including the attitude of the Harry required to actually recreate and use the Lament Configuration.

I can't imagine a sequel being anywhere near as good as "Evil Be Thou My Good," nor are there any pressing questions left hanging by the fic that call out for sequel.

That said, I love this fic too much to not imagine and hope that Ruskbyte one day furthers this little universe. Considering he's been pretty quiet for a few months now, why not see what sort of brainstorming us fanboys and fangirls can do in his section of the forum here for him. Maybe we'll even inspire him to write more of this one.

A few things struck me when I re-read this fic (for probably about the twentieth time): Harry's got some "new" magic skills that make a lot of impossible things possible covering concepts of space, time, and portal/doorways.

This section:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskbyte in Evil Be Thou My Good
"There are many of these maps in existence," Pinhead continued. "One is in a vault in the Vatican, hidden in ancient writings. A second in a monastery in the Himalayas. A third is a topiary maze in Berlin. A fourth, a veiled archway residing in your Ministry of so-called Magic. Yet another in the form of an Origami exercise, once possessed by the Marquis de Sade."

Pinhead glanced up at Throatless, who obligingly held out a small origami figure. It took Voldemort a moment, but he then realized that it was not made from paper, but from folded human skin instead.

"Wherever there is hate, violence, and human depravity -- a door will always be found," explained Pinhead. "There are dozens of such doors in this world, some more potent than others."

Now the Black Pope gestured to the Lament Configuration once again.

"But this... this simple musical puzzle box... is the ultimate passage," he informed all who were listening. "The original was created centuries ago by a French toymaker." Pinhead glanced briefly at Harry. "It was destroyed nine years ago by Harry, over there, shortly after he opened it and we claimed his relatives."
Lots of doors to lots of other not so nice places. They don't have to be so horrifying as to be the dwellings and locations of the big evils, Pinhead, Throatless, Chatterer, Butterball, etc... but they can involve some very dark and disturbing places.

There's a fair amount of discussion of souls belonging to others, and Pinhead describes himself as a harvester of souls. So my suggestion for a sequel was this: What if some circumstances came together where Hermione gets kissed by a dementor? Her body is still alive. And Harry then has to set off to retrieve and save her soul with a clock ticking. He could venture through some of these doorways. Ron and perhaps a somewhat healthy Sirius could come with Harry. Maybe even Albus (who would make excellent cannon fodder in this sort of storyline).

I've only seen the first Hellraiser and that was probably fifteen years ago so I don't know nearly enough about the mythos or even characters/Cenobites that could be heavily involved.

And the potential of this quote:
Quote:
"Goodbye Harry Potter," Pinhead spoke. "I do not expect for you to call us again."
I can't help but notice there's no mention of whether their paths will cross again, only that Harry won't call for them. Could delve into what those who do Fate's work as opposed to Hell's, and the sort of pride Pinhead has in Harry's 'growth.' Aww, Pinhead with a soft spot.

Heck, the movies had a whole bunch of sequels, some of them less warranted than others. Can't we get at least one for this masterpiece?

Anyone else got some ideas on what sort of continuation we could have in this universe?
I've no clue about the Hellraiser mythos to know how possible or impossible that'd be. But that's what I wanted: more Harry, more Pinhead, and more violence, horror, and gore.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #19
dyslexicfaser
First Year

I was a fan - though not a rabid fan - of Evil Be Thou Good (that fic really was Ruskbyte's high point), and I'll echo what others have said: not bad, pretty good in fact. There's nowhere that I can point to and say, 'Ruskbyte could have done this better.' That said... I wish I was reading nonjon's suggested sequel instead.

Because that idea has some fucking fantastic potential.

Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 08-05-2008 at 03:01 AM.
dyslexicfaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:19 AM   #20
LuxDragon
Fourth Year

I kinda liked the new point of view. It was different. It showed how much Draco was being led around by the nose and we just had to see what the hell happened to him.
LuxDragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author:ruskbyte, crossover, draco, draco/pansy, harry/hermione, hellraiser, oneshot