Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Dark Arts
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 08-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
Photon
Order Member

Case 129 by Silens Cursor - T

Title: Case 129
Author: Silens Cursor
Rating: T
Genre: Mystery/Tragedy
Library Category: General Fics
Summary: "Three investigators. Two suspects. One murder. Nothing that special... or at least that's what they thought. Winner of the DLP February Dark Arts competition."
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6815334/1/

Detective fic in the HP universe are for some reason extremely rare. So good one, especially with something more is a great thing. Contest thread: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/sh...ad.php?t=18556

Placing it in The Alternates would kill the twist. Unfortunately presence of spoiler itself is a spoiler.

Last edited by Photon; 08-09-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
CheddarTrek
Set Phasers to Melt

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Yeah this was good times, though it's been a while since I've read it. I'd say it's at least a 4/5, but I can't be more specific without re-reading it (which I might do later).
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
~Jean-Luc Picard

CheddarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
GTMFPS
Squib

4.5 / 5

Amazing. That's the only way to describe this story and I think it is a crime that so few people have it.

The spelling and grammar is good. There were a few mistakes but no one is perfect and they didn't bother me much because I was too interested in the story to care. In fact I only found the mistakes when I read for the second time specifically looking for mistakes.

The fight scenes were okay and the author came up with a wide range of spells (as wide a range of spells that you can have in a 9000 word long one-shot) and an imaginative tool that seemed realistic and not too over powered. I only wish that the author had maybe explained the Blasting Rod (the tool I mentioned earlier) a bit more as it was an interesting concept.

The only problem I had with the story was that the participants in the fights all cast verbally and the fights were a bit too short for my liking but these 'problems' aren't really problems at all and rather me being a picky bastard.

Also the twist at the end is great.

Last edited by GTMFPS; 08-16-2013 at 12:19 PM.
GTMFPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Photon
Order Member

Blasting Rod seems to be imported from "Dresden Files" series.
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Silens Cursor
The Chosen One
The Silencer

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Oh hey, I might have written this story...

Regarding the Blasting Rod - that was a deal I made with Zombie, I'd include a Blasting Rod in my story and he'd eventually read my other stories. Not sure if he ever followed through on it, but eh, whatever, I still dug the hell out of writing this.
Silens Cursor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Alexx
Card Captored and buttsecksed

This is the kind of Harry I'd like to see more off.

4/5
Alexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Mordart
Sixth Year

I think the most startling thing about the whole story was how you made the DE seem so... well, NORMAL. Like they themselves were a certain kind old-school cop. You didn't know until the end it was DE's that had won which Harry was killing. I thought he'd just lost a few screws, settling scores, but no. Love to see snippets of this continued.
Mordart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
ScottPress
Chief Warlock
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
Read it years ago. It stuck in my memory, apparently, because I don't have to re-read it to know it's definitely Library worthy. 5/5 just for the twist at the end.
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^
ScottPress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author:silens cursor