Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > Dark Arts
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 08-07-2007, 12:26 AM   #1
The-Hyphenated-One
Minister for Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Age of Deception by Takeda Lee - M

Title: Age of Deception
Author: Takeda Lee
Rating: M
Genre: Mystery/Adventure
DLP Category: Dark Arts
Pairing: Could be Harry/Luna or N/A
Chapters: 9
Words: 29,285
Updated: June 28, 2008
Published: February 13, 2007

Summary: The sun has set for the Wizarding World, and the moon has risen on the horizon to replace it. Soon the moon will set at the dawning of a new day. Things appear much different under the stars, and all falsehoods are stripped away by the light of the moon.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3391835/1/Age_of_Deception

Age of Deception: post-lolHBP story. Harry's in a race against time to destroy the Horcruxes. A race against his own downward spiral into the darkness of the soul. A darkness he didn't create, and a soul that isn't his, but both are still infecting him and leaving him racing against time to free himself. However, nothing is as it appears, and people around him are finally being forced the face the consequences of their decisions in the past, and their present incarnations. Old enemies become unsteady allies, and new friends become all that's left, as old ones are forced to realize that they are no longer children, and must think before they act. And must live with the results of not doing so, and not taking into account Harry's feelings and his life in regards to their actions.

It's written in almost a detached sort of way, but it is written exceedingly well. I like the way Harry's character is being written, and it looks as if he will be turning dark.

4/5 so far, but only because it's a bit early. Give it a read.

Lodr Hyphen

Checked by Minion, Nov. 23, 2012

4 8 15 16 23 42

Harry Dresden-Wizard

When an Underscore just won't cut it

Last edited by Dark Minion; 11-23-2012 at 03:51 PM.
The-Hyphenated-One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
vivilp182

I'm enjoying this fic a lot. It's a bit slow, the course of the story is still open, but it's written very well.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #3
Solomon
Heir

Ah, yes, this story...I read this one before, not too long ago; it was good when I last read it, and it's still good now. Very high quality, I would say. I'm not entirely sure if it really belongs in the Dark Arts category, though; it seems a bit too early for that.

One thing I especially liked upon reading this one is the fact that Fenrir Greyback isn't portrayed as a bumbling idiot, for once; though, I suppose that would just be his normal character, wouldn't it? Hm...

5/5 if it continues as it is.
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #4
Vir
Centauri Ambassador
Prodigium Magus

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 1,907
Oh man, this story begins with Harry slicing up his own wrists. I'm not sure if I should cheer or fail it on principle. I swear, 500 words on describing how the knife goes over the wrist.
Vir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
Solomon
Heir

Edit: Okay, I was wrong on this one, and I am willing to admit it. It's not a bad fic, though; if I remember correctly, the wrist-slashing ends there.

Last edited by Solomon; 08-07-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #6
The-Hyphenated-One
Minister for Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Actually it describes the knife going over Harry's wrist, and Petunia coming up behind him and wrapping his arm in a towel.

His reasoning for the //// is to be closer to death, and by proxy his parents. Not overly used, but no where near original.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Harry Dresden-Wizard

Last edited by The-Hyphenated-One; 08-07-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:34 PM   #7
Solomon
Heir

...It was? Man, I guess that when I read it - and saw Petunia's name show up - I tossed most of my reading comprehension out the window in order to avoid dealing with the thought of Harry slashing his wrists. Either that, or it was vague and/or I was tired.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:47 PM   #8
The-Hyphenated-One
Minister for Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
It is really vague, and I didn't catch it the first time around. The author's writing style is like that, you have to really pay attention in order to follow where the story is going and what is going on.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Harry Dresden-Wizard

Old 08-07-2007, 10:50 PM   #9
Solomon
Heir

I know; I've read the story before, and I did read the most recent chapter when you brought it up (having read the others before). Vague though it may be, I rather do like the style; it's unique, if nothing else.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:12 PM   #10
Calz
Groundskeeper
Oh, I Got the Mic Now!

Send a message via MSN to Calz Send a message via Skype™ to Calz
Just know that the whole "lolemocutting" thing isnt just for the sake of being "emo", i promise you(as the author O_O), its more of a foreshadowing thing, that shows the reader, and more importantly Harry, what the implications are of him slipping up even once. don't think Harry has had enough of a dose of that fact by end end of book 6, sure there's the Sirius thing and all, but he hasn't had to confront the realization of, if he fucks up, he could seriously die.

this isnt an angst story in the least, and it gets steadily darker and darker as the story passes, but there's more to the whole thing than it can appear to be. one particular thing that will come up is: if snape didnt heal harry...why didnt he die.

i hate emoness probably more than the next guy, just saying, there's a reason for everything in this story, which is why its so, length-wise, different than anything i've ever written cause im trying to pack all the important stuff into the story with as little filler as possible.

just stick with it a big change happens in chapter 5(writing it as we speak) that will show exactly how un-angsty!emo! Harry is by things he decides to do.

A cruel mercy to save him from the truth; the promises of those Sirens were the most beautifully constructed of lies. There were no gentle caresses, no joyous dancing awaiting a man that dealt in blood for coin. Far better he danced my dance and met his eternal end knowing only the truths he learned in life: a blade’s purpose is to cut and a mercenary’s purpose is to hold that blade.

OWbA's Atlas. Or Sisyphus.
...Either works.

---
Calz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:14 AM   #11
Vir
Centauri Ambassador
Prodigium Magus

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 1,907
So far, after getting through chapter 1, I look at chapter 2 and see the explanation yet this is annoying:

Quote:
“Stupefy.” Harry intoned. Snape had passed out from the pain, and the easiest way to get him awake would be to stun him and then Renervate him to force him awake. “Renervate.”
Shouldn't the spell be ennervate?
Vir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:28 AM   #12
Calz
Groundskeeper
Oh, I Got the Mic Now!

Send a message via MSN to Calz Send a message via Skype™ to Calz
JK had went back and retconned the spell to "renervate", its even in the books now, because enervate means something different supposedly. Dunno, but I do know it got changed by JK herself at some point. I may change it back if more people comment on it, dunno.

A cruel mercy to save him from the truth; the promises of those Sirens were the most beautifully constructed of lies. There were no gentle caresses, no joyous dancing awaiting a man that dealt in blood for coin. Far better he danced my dance and met his eternal end knowing only the truths he learned in life: a blade’s purpose is to cut and a mercenary’s purpose is to hold that blade.

OWbA's Atlas. Or Sisyphus.
...Either works.

---
Calz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:32 AM   #13
Solomon
Heir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter Lexicon: Spells list, R
Rennervate (REN-er-vayt)

"en-" Old French from "in-" L. cause to be + "nerves" Eng. c.1603 strength, from "nervus" L. nerve

See Edits and Changes to the Text - GF; this spell has been officially renamed by JKR from its original name. Some versions list this spell as "Enervate," which changes the etymology quite a bit. In fact, if the word was really Enervate, the Latin origins would have exactly the opposite meaning from what it meant as Ennervate.

Spell used to revive a person who has been hit by a Stunner.
Hm...Yep. You should probably make sure that the word has two Ns in it, though...
Old 08-08-2007, 02:48 AM   #14
The-Hyphenated-One
Minister for Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Cool, looks like the author was already a member here. Good story, and I hope chapter 5 is up soon.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Harry Dresden-Wizard

Old 08-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #15
Jeram
Chief Warlock
Elder of Zion

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Wow, this story was actually surprisingly good. Not sure I quite liked the cutting part at the beginning, but after that, things really got good quick. I quite like your characterization of Luna - I'm looking forward to your next chapter. The werewolf subplot is a bit odd, but I assume there's a point to it.

Keep up the good work!

-J

He was no longer Neville, the shy Gryffindor. Now he was the great Ovinomancer, Neville the Sheep Lord. - Food for Thought

Profile: PC.net | FF.net | FW

Jeram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:49 PM   #16
The-Hyphenated-One
Minister for Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
The thing that keeps me interested is how Fenrir is portrayed. Not as just a bloodthirsty killer, but as an intelligent alpha werewolf. He is the most feared werewolf for a reason.

Looks like he might be aiding Remus, or the Order of maybe even Harry if he has his own faction.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Harry Dresden-Wizard

Old 08-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #17
Narf
Administrator
The Sugardaddy of Oz

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Anyone else want to comment on this story? It has a 5 star rating, but only 4 people voted, either there needs to be a few more opinions, or I just move the story to the Library.

I'm the mother flippin' Rhymenocerous
My beats are fly and the birds are on my back
And I'm horny
I'm horny
If you choose to proceed you will indeed concede
Cos I hit you with my flow
The Wild Rhino Stampede.
Narf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #18
SmileOfTheKill
Headmaster
Magical Amber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree View Post
Anyone else want to comment on this story? It has a 5 star rating, but only 4 people voted, either there needs to be a few more opinions, or I just move the story to the Library.
Wait, wait... I'll review it then. So far I have always lowered the rating.

Okay. First of all, the story feels like the author studied a dictionary just to use big words. The wording is fancy and the author sounds old and reminiscing about something. Not really that good there.
I do like this story, it does have great things. Luna telling off Ginny, Hermione taking a love potion for herself.
I don't like Harry though. He cuts himself and then gets dark and evil.
Personally I would give this a 3/5 for enjoyment and style but it is above average giving it a 4/5.
"All they do is expound their store of knowledge. They excite themselves with their ranting; their disapproval swells them with a feeling of importance and sick victory, they thrive on spoiling the pleasure and trashing the creativity of others."
The Minister shares her opinion of critics. ~ Kino's Journey

Last edited by SmileOfTheKill; 08-27-2007 at 03:10 PM.
SmileOfTheKill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #19
Averis
Fourth Year
Don of Delivery

High Score: 3,065
Personally, I think that this story is one of the best post-HBP's out. It does seem a bit detached and there a lot of plot holes (For example, why does Snape suddenly show up at Privet Drive?), yet I enjoy stories that are more "poetic" in nature, like this one.

I also like the way Luna has been portrayed thus far; calm, cool, collected, aloof--I'm interested in seeing where the relationship between this Luna and this Harry goes. I have no problem with the way Harry has been acting, in fact, he seems like more of a hard ass when he doesn't speak very often.

Ginny using a love potion is over-used, but not completely out of line considering the way the author has characterized her; Hermione falling in love with herself was an interesting twist, if not quite plausible.

Overall, the story has a deserved spot in my favorites; at least a 4/5.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:02 PM   #20
Dr. Strange Lulz
Death Eater

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Ya... I don't get my jollies off of wrist slashing.

So this would be a No for me. Instant fail.

If you're gonna be an emo faggot and slit your wrists, then make sure you do it properly and rid the world of your idiocy. In Harry's case, just cut your fucking head off or something mate, you bore me.
Dr. Strange Lulz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author:takeda lee