1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

Bending-Focused Fics (Avatar)

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Red, May 22, 2017.

1. Red

Red Groundskeeper

Heyo guys.

I haven't read many Avatar fics, but I am looking for any stories focused on the bending aspect. That is, the learning, combat, intricacies of water/air/earth/fire bending. I don't care who the central character is or what the pairings are. I'm primarily looking for a fic with great prose and great descriptions of bending nuances in any form. Thanks for any reccs.

2. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog High Inquisitor

Embers, by Vathara.
    It has great exploration of firebending, positing on how to heal with firebending, and then goes from there. It is long and complete.
    https://m.fanfiction.net/s/5398503/1/Embers
    Warning: it is a contentious fic with proponents and detractors, and you may not like the heavy focus on Zuko.

3. Jester

Jester Slug Club Member

Could I ask what makes Embers contentious? I'm mildly interested in Avatar, just finished the first series, and am looking for something in that era of Avatar to read.

4. NuitTombee

NuitTombee Supreme Mugwump

This is just hearsay, but from what I've been told the Gaang are initially portrayed as being ignorant about cultural customs to the point of angering spirits and the like? Which would have been fine but apparently they never learn from their mistakes and it comes across as bashing their characters. While Zuko is mainly portrayed as understanding of the various customs in general and it's mostly hunky dory for him.
    Course, anyone who knows better feel free to correct me.

5. Arthellion

Arthellion Groundskeeper

High Score:
    It lightly bashes the Gaang.

Imagine making the world of avatar serious, but you still have the gaang acting like their cartoonish selves. They reap the repercussions.

It's a brilliant fantasy world andthe author did a great job adding to the mythology.

You'll either love it or hate it but warning it has a slow start.

6. TheBurningBagel

TheBurningBagel Squib

High Score:
    The bashing is tolerable, although I found Katara to be an incredible exaggeration of her canon self with all the good bits taken out, but I the endless Zuko worship gets to be grating.

(Also later chapters introduce quite a lot of oc's that range from decent to awful.)

7. Agayek

Agayek Dark Lord

TL;DR version of the detractors: In Embers, Zuko is a virtuous god-child who can do no wrong and is always right, while Aang is an ignorant monkey child and Katara is a screeching harpy with no redeeming qualities.

It's a bit of an exaggeration and hyperbole in that, but there's a kernel of truth to it. Honestly, I didn't find it all that bad, but it did grate after a while.