1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Champion Creation

Discussion in 'League of Legends' started by Republic, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    This is a thread to show and discuss about champions designed by ourselves, but inspired by whatever.
    I was browsing the League forums recently, and took notice of the massive Champion Idea subsection. I thought, what the hell? I could give this a shot.
    Riot's stance in this is pretty flexible. They don't mind if a champion is obviously inspired by something specific (pantheonvayneshacoetc). More than anything they encourage cool ideas and creativity, so long as the result is viable.

So I've been mulling it over in my head for a few days, and decided to put my idea in words. So here goes.

Jaden, the Wandering Wizard

Lore:

Urthadan the Wanderer is a wizard of Runettera. Rumors of the wandering wizard have been spreading from everywhere on Runettera, over the last dozen years. Word of an old man clad in grey robes, with a magician's staff, travelling around and helping the common folk has quickly spread to the point of legend. He never stays in one place for long, helping those in need with his magic and moving on.

Healing the wounded, and generally assisting those in need, Urthadan is well known as an incredibly old, yet immensely capable wizard.
    Or at least, so would young Jaden have the world believe.
    Born with the gift of magic flowing in his veins, Jaden never much liked his hometown of Piltover. Childhood friends with Ezreal, the two young boys could usually be found playing or arguing about magic. Ezreal didn't much care for it, but Jaden, whose magic was more prominent, was mesmerized by the small supernatural feats that he could accomplish with it.
    Both boys had the wanderlust, though they differed in that as well. Where Jaden yearned to travel the world, see different people and places, Ezreal's mind was stuck in the mysteries of the past.

When Ezreal's parents sent him to Piltover's Techmaturgy Academy, something Jaden's parents could not afford, and Ezreal showed little to no interest in an opportunity Jaden could only dream about, the budding sorcerer grew resentful of his childhood friend.
    Disbanding their friendship, and unable to make his parents understand his almost supernatural need to travel the world, Jaden left his home at the tender age of seven.

Fashioning himself a wooden wand, like those of old legends, Jaden set himself to training his magic, while travelling where the wind took him.
    The young prodigy quickly realized that a seven year old wandering alone did not sit well with many of the locals he visited, and that he could not fully appreciate each of his destinations if he was treated like a child travelling alone. Thus, he used his ever expanding magical powers to transform himself into an old, seemingly wizened wizard, choosing to don inconspicuous grey robes, a broad hat, and transforming his compact wand into a wooden staff taller than even his adult transformation.
    Taking the name Urthadan for his alter ego, Jaden found that he could not resist using his powers to help those in need, while in his travels. As the years passed, Jaden's skill grew greatly, as did Urthadan's reputation. Even as he grew old enough to travel without problems, Jaden continued to use Urthadan's visage, learning to use a sword along with his magical staff to great effect.

Soon, the Institute of War began to take notice of this wandering wizard, this Urthadan. Gathering evidence of his existence and deeds, Urthadan soon found himself invited by the Institute. Intrigued, Jaden went to the League of Legends.

Having no particular desire to join, Jaden revealed his deceit to the High Council. Rather than being dismissed, as Jaden thought he would be, the Council was impressed by the skill of the young wizard even more than if he were the old man he appeared to be. They renewed his invitation to the League with more fervor. Knowing that his childhood friend, Ezreal, had joined, and that Runettera's greatest sorcerers were also participating, Jaden cautiously accepted.

Unlike the serene, grandfatherly persona of Urthadan, Jaden is a confident, self-assured, and eager young man. Jaden insists that the difference in personalities is part of the spell.

STATS:
    Health: 410 (+82 per level)
    Mana: 250 (+50 per level)
    Attack Damage: 52 (+3 per level)
    Attack Speed: 0.630 (+2.9% per level)
    Movement Speed: 340
    Health Regen: 4.35 (+0.55 per level)
    Mana Regen: 7 (+0.6 per level)
    Armor: 13 (+1 per level)
    Magic Resist: 30 (+1 per level)

Role: Mage, Jungler, Support

ABILITIES:

A Wizard (Passive)
    Jaden/Urthadan grows stronger every third time he casts a spell, granting him 1 Armor and Magic Resist. Only works when it hits an enemy unit or monster.

Blast of Power –Q
    Cost: 55/65/75/85/95 Mana
    Range: 1140
    Jaden aims his wand for 0.7 seconds, firing a blast of light that deals 55/100/150/190/240 (+70% Ability Power) magic damage to all enemies in its path over 2 seconds. Jaden can move while firing Blast of Power.
    While "Urthadan the Wanderer" is active, Blast of Power has greater range (1440), deals (15/20/30/40/50% Ability Power) extra damage to enemy champions facing Urthadan, or slows them by (20/25/35/45/60%) if they are facing away from him.

Shield of Sacred Flame –W
    Cost: 55/70/85/100/115 Mana
    Range: 740
    Shields targeted ally champion for 70 / 130 / 180 / 225 / 300(+60% AP) damage for up to 5 seconds. While the shield persists, shielded champion gains 5/7/10/13/ 15% Lifesteal and Spellvamp.
    While "Urthadan The Wanderer" is active, Shield of Sacred Flame shields for 150%, lasts for 7 seconds, and while the shield persists blocks an enemy ability, and every third one after that.

Magical Outburst –E
    Cost: 80 Mana
    Range: 390
    Jaden sends a pulse of power outwards, dealing 75/120/170/215/260 (+70% Ability Power) magical damage and slowing enemies20-35/20-35/20-35/30-45/30-45% for 2 seconds based on how close to him they were.
    While 'Urthadan The Wanderer' is active, Urthadan slams his staff into the ground, dealing extra damage and rooting all enemies in the blast radius.

Urthadan The Wanderer –R
    Jaden transforms into his alter ego, Urthadan, granting him 50/60/70 movement speed and 20/40/60 attack damage and ability power. While 'Urthadan the Wanderer' is active, Urthadan turns into a melee champion, and his other spells have extra effects. The transformation lasts for 10/14/18 seconds.

Emotes:

Movement(Jaden):
    Let's go.
    Where to now?
    I travel.
    The horizon is waiting.
    Magic is my birthright.
    Are you sure?
    So many places to go.
    Movement(Urthadan):
    Peace will come to those who seek it.
    Where am I needed?
    At your service.
    Stop the injustice.
    I wander.
    Yes.
    Indeed, summoner.
    Attacking(Jaden):
    Hah! Easy.
    I can do it.
    Magic is might!
    Anything else?
    Alright.
    Let's see.
    Attacking(Urthadan):
    As you wish.
    It is necessary.
    Beware my power!
    Magic, at my command.
    If I must.
    Joke(Jaden):
    Hey, I was seven!
    Tombs are not for me.
    A Library? No thanks.
    Joke(Urthadan):
    A troll, a hag and a leprechaun all go into a bar...
    You like my hat? Thank you, so do I.
    A Wizard arrives precisely when he means to.
    Taunt(Jaden):
    You remind me of a snake. I hate snakes.
    Taunt(Urthadan):
    You will go no further!
    This is not merely a walking stick, you know.
    Taunt (Jaden -Ezreal):
    Couldn't beat me then, can't beat me now.
    Just like old times.
    Taunt (Urthadan -Ezreal):
    A glove, young man? Really?
    Taunt (Jaden -Ryze):
    I told you I'm not doing the tattoos!
    Taunt (Urthadan - Ryze):
    Greetings, old friend.
    Taunt (Jaden -Kassadin):
    Some things are meant to be hidden. Even I know that.
    Taunt (Urthadan - Cho'Gath):
    Go back to the abyss!
    Taunt (Jaden - Lux):
    I thought you had taste, Miss Crownguard.

And that's all I have so far. I have also comissioned a sketch of both Jaden and Urthadan, but it may be a while before I have that.
    Yes, it is a Harry Potter/Gandalf the Grey combination, if you hadn't figured that out yet. Unlike canon Harry, I imagine Jaden to be cockier than that, assured in his power and having only successes in his life. Kinda like DH Harry or fanon Harry.

Basically I'd like the opinion of the League players here at DLP on whether they think a champ like this would be cool, cool to play as or against, and whether or not he is viable. Are the stats ok? Too much? Too little? Where?
    For example, I'm trying to come up with a way to avoid the passive being exploited severely pre 3min, or replace the passive altogether with something better.

I would also be delighted if someone else decided to come up with an idea of their own and post it here.
    Thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

That passive seems OP.

.5 Armour and MR every time he casts a spell... hmm, well, I suppose it would depend on the cooldown on his spell, but let's say he grabs an early chalice/tear and casts a spell every ten seconds. That's 3 Armour and MR every minute. If a game lasts 40 minutes, that's 120 bonus armour and MR without having bought a defensive item.

Yeah, seems OP.

3. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Hmmm. Would it be ok if I lowered his armor/MR per level to zero?
    Alternatively, I could make his mana costs more restrictive.

4. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I'd give it an upper cap and have it build by collecting stacks from kills/assists that you lose on death. The alt on the w seems super OP as well. 7 seconds? Block every third spell? Rly?

5. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    That wouldn't work Oz. It's too situational and dependent on independent success to work as a passive.

Eh. The shield does seem kind of OP, I admit. Remember though that where other champions have a kill-all-end-all ultimate, the power from Jaden's ultimate is meant to be distributed to the rest of his kit.
    But yeah, I'll have to tone down the shield a bit. Up the CD so he can only use it once per fight, lower base shield given, or somesuch.

Edit: Ok, I edited the passive to grant him 1 armor/MR every third spell cast, and lowered his per levels to 1. Not OP now, is it?

Also toned down the stats on shield. 7 seconds be a long time, but remember than Morgana's shield lasts for 5(?) and blocks every single ability. Urthadan blocks all kinds of damage, so it's easier to deplete the shield, as well.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  6. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

First of all that shield is ludicrously broken, even before he ults. The only shield in the game that is close to that size is Lux's W, which assuming you hit an ally twice and the shield being used up in between the two hits will shield for only 35 more damage and gives no extra effects. Lux's shield also has worse scaling.

The bigger problem is that his abilites don't seem to make any sense together. It's like you haven't decided what role you want him to play. He has the passive of a tank; his Q is basically Xerath's Q, just with better range, base damage and scaling; his W is broken as shit; then his E is Skarner's Q on steroids, which turns into Lissandra's W after he ults.

You have him down as a mage/jungler, I'm guessing you were looking for something kinda like jungle Karma? You don't list his cooldowns, but judging by his mana costs they're probably gonna be quite high which means his clear won't be very fast. I'm sure he'd be able to stay healthy enough with his W, but it's not exactly Fiddlesticks level sustain. Then I really do not see how he is going to be able to gank. Before 6 his only CC is a slow, which has a super short range without a gap closer to apply it, after 6 his only hard CC is from his empowered E which still faces the same problem.

If you go outside the jungle, I think he would do alright in mid lane at least as far as laning goes. You don't list his attack range but I'm guessing it's a standard 500-550 or so, which combined with his Q means farming safely should be no problem. But still, without useful CC he lacks any real kill or roam potential. All I could see him doing in a lane is spam pushing his lane and going to farm jungle camps.

Honestly, with the way his abilities are at the moment I'd play him best as a support, max W ans just stick it on the adc whenever it's off cooldown. 15% lifesteal at lvl1 would be pretty ridiculous.

But the biggest problem I have with this guy, is his ult. It's literally just a power up button, you just press it at the start of a fight and ignore it. The obvious parallel would be to Quinn's tag team, it's basically the same spell. The difference is that Quinn is an adc, where the range on your auto attacks actually means something in a teamfight. With this guys there's no real meaningful difference between the two forms, you just press R for a stupid amount of bonus stats and some bonus effects to your spells, it reminds me of Ryze's ult.

If I were you, I would change him into more of a Jayce/Nidalee style form changing champ. Have his ranged form be the supporty kinda poke mage you get with his Q and W, and have his melee form be more of an up close fighter like his E and passive suggest he should be.

P.S. Nerf shield. Rito plz.

7. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Moar nerfs on W , Passive, R and Q in this episode of Champion Creation, as requested.

Let me see if I can explain how I see Jaden/Urthadan's playstyle.
    As Jaden is a ranged champ with no hard cc and only decent defense stats, he will want to stay in the backline, throwing Qs and shielding. This is how he lanes, trying to stack his Passive as much as possible (which now only works if it hits something).
    When trouble is a-brewing, or a teamfight is about to start, he changes into Urthadan.
    The buffs on his AD/AP are meant to promote aggression. The switch to melee is to increase Urthadan's risk by forcing him to go in melee range. The E root also works with that. I imagine him like Diana, rushing in and going ballsdeep, forcing the enemy to deal with him or die.
    His only hard CC is his R>E, but hard CC is not exactly necessary in a good champion. He has an assortment of AoE slows and a massive buff.
    His shield is really NOT as OP as you make it out to be. YES the ability blocking is pretty good, but remember than the shield can and will vanish from auto attacks, tower hits, etc. In a teamfight, it probably won't have enough time to block more than 1 ability outright. I can see some clutch blocks happening in chases, but no more than that.
    For jungling I was thinking more of a spam E>W kind of approach. An assortment of jungler have no hard CC or engage before level 6. Urthadan can come in, pop his shield on himself or the laner, E for the slow, all the while spamming Q. If the enemy is trying to run, the R>Q slow will lolno him.

Edit: Original post edited with changes.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013