1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DC/Marvel-Harry xover

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by GrayFox, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Did I miss round 2 of their fight or this should be other way around? Eventually not Guy, but Hal.

2. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Oh hell... canon nazis.

Sure, I'll take your word for it. I think I was making a different point.

Yeah, it's obvious when it's pointed out. There are some decent ones out there that almost make a good story, but lack certain things. There was one with a Hermione/ Bruce Wayne cross that wasn't too bad, but it was choppy. Fairly realistic though. I can't think of the name of the thing to save my life. It was completed a couple months ago though.

3. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Nothing came between her and her Calvins.

Even commercials have their canon. :sherlock:

4. Heather_Sinclair

Here's the start. Clash of the Titans WbA

5. GrayFox

GrayFox Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

An 'Evil Slytherin' in a relationship with the head of DMLE's niece, didn't see that coming. So far I like it, it's well written and the plot is believable.

6. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

So I've been kicking around a few ideas, and the current one I'm developing most at the moment is a story either where Harry was abducted when young, or Lily was with James in tow (being prime-candidates as Lily and James are Homo Magi - normal humans with an extra gene, that allow them to access magic), and forcibly 're-engineered' at the genetic level to be what mankind was supposed to be, before alien species like the Vimanians or the White Martians fucked around with terrestrial life.

Apparently, before these biological 'vandalisms' occured, mankind was most probably going to end up superhuman or more biologically complex, like Kryptonians, but ended up as being...well, weak. In the end, only a few humans, and not the entire race, developed the Metagene, and even then it may have been a weaker/altered form of what was supposed to be.

As previously mentioned in an earlier post or two, anything is up for a change - Potterverse included. Merging the two universes/storylines is going to be pretty fun, and 'doing a DC' on some of the Potter characters' origins, whilst avoiding HP fandom cliches, is going to be a challenging yet rewarding job, I think.

I've been looking at human evolution and vestigality through Wikipedia, and a lot of things on there are quite interesting - some of these biological alterations could be used as a plot device for Harry's Metahuman abilities, or at least be partly responsible for them.

The only downside is that, if incorrectly, it could begin a descent into a piss-poor super!Harry fic', without giving him any character flaws.

The end result would -hopefully- be a Harry (Homo Sapien Sapien(?) <appropriate Latin adjective here>) that would be a counterpart to a Kryptonian on the evolutionary ladder, but at the same time vastly different yet just as complex at the biological level.

Mankind as it was supposed to be, essentially.

Other things I'm considering is that, due to his 'abnormalities', Harry has a loner complex, and is quite distrusting of people. Kara, being a somewhat skewed counterpart, is the first person that he really forms a connection with.

I'll admit that I'm heavily inspired by the abandoned story Harry Potter and the Power of Oa and its ongoing and recently updated reimagining (by a different author, with permission from the original author of Power of Oa), and I'm thinking that Harry is eventually taken in by one of the heroes - maybe Superman, or his adoptive parents.

So, thoughts?

7. GrayFox

Yes to the Homo Magi concept, because you could make the argument that it is the actual reason for magic in the wizarding world. As for him being on par with a Kryptonian, I don't really see that because they were a society that was more advanced than us through being at least an eon older.

And if you did than harry wouldn't have powers, remember Krypton's sun was a red giant and the people there were normal. So if harry was an 'earthly krypton' he should only have abilities when exposed to a different wave-length of light as compared to his own sun.

Now if you did they whole 'I had an accident and woke up with super-powers' deal (see The Flash), than that could work, but you would have to choose one ability. If you wanted to go for an edgier spin than you could make him part of the cadmus project. They discovered harry after he had the bad luck to apperate near an operative in the U.K.(or if it is still during the hogwarts years you could have the death eaters/ministry sell him to them).

Curious as to what this unusual energy their new subject seems to possess, the Cadmus team uses genetics to see if they could turn him into a kryptonian with the left over material from the project that creates Kara's clone. As the experiment is occurring have the JLA bust in to stop the project and deal with the clone, only for them to realize what they have walked in on. Sadly the doctors finish the injection/gene sequence/electric slide before they can be stopped.

Fearful of any repercussions should superman pull a leaf out of our favorite green-skinned, purple shorts wearing goliath, The JLA must watch helplessly as this boy/young man's life is changed forever. Because of his new DNA, Harry is the first-ever wizard kryptonian. Perhaps because of his abilities he is now able to do wandless magic(cliche), or maybe it is a hindrance on his magic, such as removing the potential for animagus transformations.

Yeah, kidnapped/sold to Cadmus sounds better if you want meta Harry.

8. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Biologically equivilent in complexity, not a mimicry of Kryptonian DNA/evolution/abilities - and not their culture/civilization, either. ;)

Think of it this way:

Normal human DNA: small house, maybe a cottage. Simple, frail.
    Kryptonian DNA: Empire State Building. Strong, complex.
    Harry's 'What Humans were supposed to be' DNA: Big Ben. Solid, complex in a different way.

Again, only if Harry's abilities relied on solar radiation to function - if they relied on something else, or are innate, this wouldn't be a problem. Maybe ambient magic...?

It'd also change Harry into a Kryptonian/half-Kryptonian - which would be against the basic premise of him being 'what humans were supposed to be'.

I could use something similar to the Cadmus Project, though; it's an interesting concept.

9. GrayFox

Big Ben isn't complex.

10. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

From an engineering stand point, it is. :)

11. GrayFox

Perhaps a technique similar to how the Go'aul(spchk) tried to create their own alterians?

---------- Post automerged at 02:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

Big Ben is the name of the bell, it's like calling the Liberty Bell Complex because they are sister bells

12. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Uh, I meant the Clock Tower, too. My bad.

Hm, maybe I should have used a better engineering example that's on par with the Empire State, heh.

13. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

@Jormungandr – so you’re aiming for Harry to have superpowers in addition to magic?

Maybe to avoid him being too powerful you could have the re-engineering only be partially successful. Maybe the frail human form can’t support complete re-engineering?

If you have Lily and/or James being kidnapped then you could have the re-engineering only be partially successful on them but have Harry be one step further up the evolutionary ladder.

How old were you planning on having Harry when the re-engineering takes place? What powers were you thinking of giving to re-engineered humans? Will his powers be there from birth or will there be a slow growth as he grows older or maybe a sudden emergence brought on by a dangerous situation (Dursleys abuse[cliche], maybe when he confronts Quirrell)?

14. AntHil

AntHil First Year

I know you picked Kryptonian DNA because of Kara's clone but who's to say that Cadmus doesn't have some other hero's DNA? I mean, I imagine that the heroes bleed fairly regularly, so maybe Cadmus retrieved some of Jonn or Diana's DNA from a fight and used that on Harry. If I used your idea to give Harry metahuman abilities I'd go with Cadmus injecting him with Diana's DNA just to write Hippolyta's reaction to a male having Amazon abilities.

15. Alive and Free

Of course, now that you've suggested this some tosser on ff.net is going to use this as an excuse to turn male!Harry into female!man-hating!Harry. And, of course, he'll happily accept being turned into a female after spending fourteen or fifteen years as a male.

16. GrayFox

I thought those people avoided DLP, its almost as if they believe their lives are endangered when entering.

17. Alive and Free

You're not wrong about their lives being endangered on DLP but I imagine one or two of them are lurking about.

I'm surprised no one's tried to use Harry's lightning bolt scar as a link to the Olympian Gods as the basis of a DC/HP crossover. There are some non-crossovers that have tried this, none of them good, but I don't think it features in any crossovers.

18. Heather_Sinclair

The only thing I have trouble getting past is that Harry would have magic and superpowers. It'll be tough to write this and not give into the godlike!Harry having him solve all the world's problems and fighting all the villains himself.

Magic already holds a prominent place in the DC verse with the likes of Zatanna, John Constintine, Dr. Fate, Madam Xanadu, and even Merlin. They just access it in a different way for each character. Its existence doesn't need to be explained so much.

My question is why are you going this route. Is it to simply have Harry stand out from the others, or completely separate him from Hogwarts, etc. ?

19. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

Harry arriving in the Age of Apocalypse/Marvel universe would be my ultimate XMen crossover kick. In the end he could meet Blink and become part of the Exiles.

20. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

If not Olympians, the scar can be a mark of SHAZAM!