1. Hey Guest,

Are you handy with Photoshop? Do you feel the DLP Anakin logo is tired and old? Do you want to win a special as of yet undetermined prize? Join the DLP Banner Photoshop Competition! Fame, fortune, and the respect of your peers await those that enter. Sadness, despair, and a deep self-loathing await those that do not.

Enter the competition.
    Dismiss Notice

Drabble Vomit Thread

Discussion in 'The Dresden Files' started by Celestin, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King Prestige

High Score:
    "If you are sure, wizard, than lay your claim."

These words echoed in the thoughts of Harry Dresden as he stood upon the risen mound of stone and moss, staring at the blade of immaculate white which hung before him unaided by any force but for magic itself. Gravity rippled around the tool as he laid his hands near, so close to grasping the pale hilt that seemed as if it were made out of transparent bone. He grit his teeth and withdrew, hesitant in flesh and mind.

"How can I claim an artifact that has laid waste to the realms, Mab?" he spoke into the quiet night. Flakes drifted off of the sword as he gave her name, and within his heart a pulse of familiar ache began to pain him. "A Winter Knight without his Queen is no knight at all, but how can you ask me to do this?" He clutched his chest as veins of frost thickened momentarily, and his flesh grew pale as milk, pale as ice, thin, glossy. Harry ducked his head and closed his eyes.

"How can I not, right?" he said. He breathed out and raised his hand with conviction, and the force which held back all those before him who had dared try to pick it from the air relented. Harry twined his fingers tight about the hilt and drew forth the Wellspring of Winter, and into him then as he beheld it flowed the entire lineage of Winter Knights. The power that surged sought for a Queen, a Mother, a Lady. But it found only a Knight, and so bestowed what it could.

His ears pricked and Harry Dresden turned. Fire burned on the horizon. Demons. Worse, Denarians. He had run from them before, year after year, run from his course, his last trial given to him, before the Outer Gates broke.

Ice cooled his fears. Steel melted into his broken spine and firmed, purging the infectious spike driven in ten years ago. Like a film of scum, a haze of delirium, the taint of Lasciel's half-accepted coin bled away from his awareness for the first time. He felt his body responding to his understanding of his duty.

The demons charged on, lead by some new Denarian of who he had no name to place to the face. Harry raised the sword in his hand, gradually shortening as its strength flowed into his willing vessel, and a hundred voices whispered thoughts, suggestions, demeanor's into his innermost ears more seditiously than Lasciel's spirit ever could have. Cold enveloped his heart to clench tight. He looked down to the Wellspring of Winter, sighed, and strode forward, not away, allowing the advice of his predecessors to come forward and guide his motions. He had never been a good Knight. Mab had come too late into his life to truly claim him as her own, until now.

He raised the sword high. In response, the deadened land erupted with snowflakes and dust. He gave shape to his subjects, drawn from distant memory of his own, and then much more hardened encounters by those who came before. He breathed a wisp of life into the dead fae lords and ladies, creatures of might and merry death incarnate. He locked eyes with the Erlking renewed, a proud salute in stare passing between them.

The bleak hordes of hell gave pause at what he was doing. Harry gave them no chance to answer, to think, to warn the rest of the realms. He marched on with his powers at work and began the duty inherited from Mab at last.

The Winter Knight became the Winter King.

/end. Not wholly sure where I was going with this a few months ago but I still kind of like it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  2. Puzzled

Puzzled Professor

I thought this was going to be a Warcraft cross for a second with Frostmourne.

3. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King Prestige

High Score:
    Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with Warcraft to angle toward that as-is, but a bit of googling in my future might change that.

4. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I'm not sure what I'm reading. All I am sure of is that it's pretty rad. ;)

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Good stuff, Zenzao. Your short forms usually come out good though, so this is just you being you.

Hmm, maybe I should drop something into this thread sometime.

6. vlad

vlad Seventh Year Prestige

High Score:
    I can't tell you how much I hate being summoned.

Oh sure, being the Knight of Winter has its perks if you're the type that enjoys a never ending ride of murder, mayhem, and madness – but that wasn't really my thing. So far I'd been lucky, and Mab hadn't forced me into doing something I couldn't live with but every time she summoned me it was another 1D20 and hoping I didn't roll low.

Not including, of course, the massive migraine that resulted whenever Mab tugged me into the never-never. I was used to making portals between the real world and fae, and then navigating my way to where I needed to go, but Mab didn't like to be kept waiting.

“Good evening, wizard knight,”

Mab was smiling, a perfect mouth full of predatory sharpness. Perfect.

“So I was thinking, maybe next time we could meet over drinks, keep it a little more casual. There's this great place I've heard about that just opened on Michigan -”

Sit down, wizard,” Mab interrupted, and I felt my knees buckling at the command. Hell's Bells, not my Name, – not even my proper title – and her magic threatened to overwhelm me like I was nothing.

You know when you have those moments when you really regret making decisions without knowing all the facts? I have those a lot nowadays.

“What do you know about Fae?” Mab asks, and I pause at that – there's a hook here, somewhere, I just have to find it.

“I know that there are two courts,” I reply with the obvious, trying to buy my brain time to work out the trap. “And that the Seelie and Unseelie Courts have to maintain a balance, but fluctuate with the solstices...”

She's looking bored, which is never the look you're going for with a beautiful woman – murderous and nigh all-powerful or otherwise.

“There are some fae, some quite powerful, that aren't attached to either Court, and that you, that is we, can be hurt by ir-”

“Yes, yes,” Mab cuts me off from naming the dreaded metal. “What do you know about the creation of Fae.”

No. No, no, no, no, no with a side order of no, and an ice-cold serving of nope to wash it all down.

“Not much,” I say, doing my best to keep a straight face like I'm not thinking about my initiation into Mab's service, which mostly consisted of us having wild monkey sex after she healed my broken back and before I rescued my recently discovered daughter from a coven of vampires that planned to use her in a ritual that would see my daughter, her mother, myself, and my grandfather, dead. Not a great day.

Mab sighs. “The strength, appearance, and characteristic of the Fae are intertwined with human lore and myth.” Mab explains slowly, like I'm somewhere between a child and an idiot.
    “Huh.” I reply, completely proving her wrong. “So... we made Santa Claus.”

“You didn't make him, no – and you'll never even hint at that suggestion while in his presence unless I so order it, understood?”

I nod.

“But,” Mab concedes, waving one dainty hand in front of her as if speeding time along – which, given that literally time and space in Arctis Tor bend to her will, she probably is – “Humanity gave him the form, and allowed him to take the mantle.”

“But we are losing focus, wizard. As of late a whole host of new Fae have appeared throughout the never-never. Some of winter, some of summer, many more in between.” She frowned at that. “The humans have been working very hard, as of late, creating new beasts and myths and childhood fantasy.”

I shrug. Nothing I didn't already know.

“But these are magnificent creatures,” Mab continues on, and I make sure I'm listening as I've got a nasty feeling I know where this is going and it might help to know what I have to kill next. If her look was predatory before now it's radiant, stunning psychopathy. “Titania has already begun in her attempts to sway them to her side. She is not weighted down with a Knight who wades in ignorance, nor is she so kind as to permit her Knight to spend most of his time outside the never-never, where he might take his time answering his Queen's summons.”

That was a little unfair. Not that I said so – the idea that she was considering restricting me to the never-never was too horrible to think about, and arguing semantics with Mab was dumber than dancing with death.

I was on thin ice, which is kinda impressive in the heart of Winter when you think about it.

“You're very generous, my Queen.” She nodded imperiously at that, and I dared let out a breath.

“Come,” she said, standing up. “I will show you some of the creatures that have appeared on the edge of Winter, and then it will be your job to ensure that the wildlings join my cause.” She gave me a narrow look, suggesting I wouldn't like the consequences if they didn't.

I stood up, and before I had even reached my full height we were miles away, over frozen brooks and under white-topped groves of empty trees.

“So when you say humans create new forms of Faerie, how come I haven't met anything more recent than... oh, I dunno – the Billy Goats Gruff?” I replied, thinking back on the Faerie I've encountered over the years. “I figure they go back to what, eighteen-hundreds? Seventeens, tops.”

Mab doesn't reply as we glide through a snow swept field full of twinkling lights that I know to be the wee folk – pixies and brownies and all the other level two monsters you have to fight after you've cleared the tavern of ten giant rats.

“I mean, shouldn't I have run into – I dunno... Peter Pan, by now? Or Mickey Mo-”

“You will not name the Abomination!” Mab roars in a whisper and my mouth is frozen shut, literally.

Oh stars and stones was she serious.

“Its body lies scattered in a thousand pieces, buried across the Summer and Winter realms,” she continues. “You will not aid its greed by letting it hear its name come from your lips.”

Right. That's Disney ruined forever.

“Here we are,” Mab says a moment later, and we're standing on the shore of a lake that's so clear I can see the bottom, aided only by the moonlight.

“What are we-” and then I hear a loud screech, and a trio of the largest birds I've ever seen take off from the far bank, letting out a warbling cry that pierces through the silent night.

“Cuuuuuuuuuuu-no! Cuuuuuuuuuu-no!”

Though their bellies were white the rest of their plumage was an ice-blue, and they were so large that if I hadn't actually met a dragon before, I might have guessed this is what one looked like.

“It's beautiful, is it not?”

Mab sounded like she was in love, and I turned to look at her. She was smiling like a small child – almost innocent and joyful, and her eyes shimmered with lust at the sight of them.

“Yeah,” I replied. “What are they?”

Mab looked at me then, clearly annoyed for breaking whatever fantasy she had been imagining – probably riding one of those birds into battle as she turned armies into shattered ice.

“What they are not is mine. You shall fix this, wizard.”

“It would help,” I say slowly, trying to pacify an all-powerful sociopath from going on a rampage with myself as victim-zero. “If I knew its name. Or for that matter, how you intend for me to bring it to your cause. Can I talk to it? Trap it in a circle? What are we talking here?”

Mab sighed. “The humans, sadly, have already created a mythos for these creatures. We must use this.”

Mab pulled an orb, smaller than my fist, out of who-knows-where. It glowed with an internal light, but I was lost on the details.

“A gift or a weapon?” I asked, puzzled.

“A weapon... of sorts. A cage, more like,” Mab replied.

“The Winter Lady knew enough to explain the basic idea,” Mab continued, and the reminder that Molly too was entrapped by – and becoming increasingly a part of – Faerie was a slap in the face, so much that I missed the next few words.

“... and then it will be forced to do my bidding. This particular creature, is called an Articuno.”

Oh no. For the love of all things good that have not foresaken me.

“You want me to catch, Pokemon.” I said, disbelieving.

Mab nodded. “So you have heard of them too, good. I feared you might not be as familiar as my sweet child.”

I wasn't, but I mean, you hang out with people who play D&D, you hear things.

“My understanding is that, assuming the rules are the same, is that we have to fight them, first, before we catch them.”

“Yes, that is correct.”

“Right, so, maybe we should go and find some tamer, less powerful...” less terrifying than giant birds and hell's bells one of them just sent a giant bolt of ice crashing down to earth from its beak. “Something a little easier until we're ready to go toe to toe and I can... you know, catch them.”

Mab let out a tinkling gale of laughter at that.

“The pok-eh-mon obey the commands of whoever throw this ball,” Mab finally answered, holding the magical winter variant pokeball aloft. “It will be I who command them, Wizard, not you.”

“Fine by me,” I rubbed my hands together.

“Let us begin then – I want all three of them by sunrise, so we shall start with the largest one, that one there,” she pointed to the leftmost monster in the sky that is now creating snowstorms from its beating wings.

“We still need something to fi-”

Wizard,” Mab yells at me, visibly angry at my attempts to stall her. “I choose you.”

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  7. Lindsey

Lindsey Order Member

This is the best thing since sliced bread.

I would love a series of oneshots about Harry vs random pokemon. It would be hilarious.

8. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

That's not quite how the Fae work, I think, and your Mab sounded a little bit out of character at times... That being said, I laughed my ass off. :D Great stuff, Vlad.