1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. TallDarkStranger

TallDarkStranger Fourth Year

High Score:
    You haven't understood me.
    That's not what I take issue with - it's the insinuation against my parents that I do not like, not the idea that I was a miscreant. I'm fine with anything against me, but not against my folks.

If I'm used to bantering with the guy who said that, I suppose I wouldn't care as much - I do that with my mates quite often. But I don't think that this particular example seemed necessary to explain his statement.

He's skirting a fine line on the parents part. Do you see what I mean?

2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You're seeing a personal attack where there almost certainly wasn't one intended. If one was intended, then it's so weak sauce that I would struggle to care.

This is why we have section 5 of our "Morons Need Not Apply" policy: Don't take everything so personally.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

The report function is there to deal with actual issues. The staff are not your carer, if your feelings are hurt then hurt the person right back. [stare]The fuck are you twelve?[/stare]

4. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    DLP Fight Club: Promoted by mods since 2005.

Regarding Harry/Fleur in general, if you're going to have them cheat on their spouses, why can't they just hook up when they're both middle-aged and have kids? Twenty years on a twenty-year old veela might actually improve her appearance and you could believably make Harry be a lot more suave (and a lot less noble) then he was as a fourteen year old.

5. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

At least in fiction it's because we've read/watched two characters get closer and then finally together over the course of the medium. Having them divorce/breakup acrimoniously two months later makes that seem like a waste, not to mention it's not as fun, at least for me.

6. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

You can have an AU in 6th year and have Bill die to Greyback.

And since Harry and Ginny doesn't get back together for more than a year you get pretty good window.

18 year old harry and 21-22 year old Fleur can work.

7. TallDarkStranger

TallDarkStranger Fourth Year

High Score:
    I like this, a lot. Hope someone does it, I'm not good enough to pull it off myself.

8. Scott2929101

Scott2929101 Squib

High Score:
    That's a good idea. You can also stick in a shell cottage-like scene too, as Bill is dead, but Fleur might still be there.

9. Averis

High Score:
    I like Bill as an obstacle too much to just kill him off cheaply. If he became a possessive ass hole now that he's hideous and lashed out at Harry, then it would make for good drama. If he takes Harry aside and tells him to stay out of his cookies, then that too is good drama. Telling the reader the dude died at the beginning is total shit and only slightly less shit if a well explained death.

10. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Yeah, you're better off just pretending they weren't a couple to begin with. Otherwise, you're literally killing a character off just so Harry can bone Fleur. Extremely contrived and shallow, and not necessary.

11. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

A classic

/10 char

12. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Your possessive-asshole!Bill is worse than literally killing the character, because you're doing character assassination, a veritable butchering and mangling, just to drive your own (biased?) narrative.

And it's not just Bill's character being harmed here, but Harry's and Fleur's too.

There's no good drama to be had here, just shitty forced drama.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  13. Averis

High Score:
    You win. I can admit that most of what I said sounds pretty lame. But I'm interested in your take, so what would you suggest Odran? We don't know much about Bill and Fleur from canon, as almost everything that we learn about them comes from the Weasleys themselves.

Why can't we believably say that Bill is possessive and overprotective of Fleur, especially because its wartime? I mean, in his shoes, I would likely react the same way. Obviously she's a recognizable target even three years after the Triwizard tournament and her willingness to help Harry despite the fact that she just married Bill, even though a part of him knows its purely for the greater good, makes him cruel and insensitive when she puts herself in duress.

When he inevitably finds out that Harry is growing closer to Fleur he lashes out ie. the drama.

14. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Because they've already been in a situation similar to what you propose and nothing of the sort happened.

It's one thing to have the Harry/Fleur relationship happen organically, within the story itself (as a part of it), and completely another thing to force events and OOC behavior from known characters just so you could push for a pairing.

Another possible approach to this that you mentioned was that they start having an affair (while presumably married to Bill and Ginny respectively) when they're both middle-aged, but again, this too would not make much sense if you're following the canon characterizations. Harry might indeed grow to be less noble, given time and specific events, but even so there's a great difference between being less noble and cheating on your wife with the brother-in-law's wife.

As to what I would suggest, I honestly have no idea on how to write a story that would include this particular pairing within the canon story because they don't fit with each other. Is there attraction on Harry's part? Sure, but that's nothing special. I wager there's a lot of people that are attracted to Fleur. But why should that matter to Fleur?

There's something about that kind of situation (Fleur and Harry having an affair) that just seems very disingenuous.

I know, I know, there's not all that much we know about Fleur, but we do know she stuck by Bill even after the werewolf attack. I believe someone quoted a passage from the books regarding that somewhere earlier in this thread and it showed her in a very positive light.

And we do know what Harry's like when it comes to the Weasleys. This kind of betrayal, when they'd accepted him as one of their own, would be simply incredulous for Harry to even contemplate. You'd have to simply start up with a complete OC for it to happen or, as mentioned before, mangle other characters in order to further your agenda.

Your shtick is writing (teenage?) dramas, IIRC, so I understand why you might be more inclined towards an approach like this, but in order for things to happen your way, just so you could line up Harry and Fleur together, there is very little chance of either of those characters (or only Harry's, if you don't particularly care for Fleur's) coming off as genuine representations of themselves.

15. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

Back in 2015 there was similar talk.

If you want Fleur and Bill to split you won't have to assassinate neither of the two characters. Just make their relationship a victim of outside influence, namely the Weasleys and the war brewing in the background.

Summer of 1996, the Weasley females bash on Fleur (canon) and Bill is forced in between. Fleur sees that it's taking its toll on him trying to keep everybody together with a war brewing and with a heavy heart takes the decision (her or his family) into her own hands and leaves him.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  16. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

You know there was a story where Fleur and Harry kept kissing each other post epilogue. It was pretty funny short story.

Like Harry is talking with Fleur and a moment later they are kissing and Harry is like "WTH! how does this keep happening" and "I can't stop why?"

There was also a scene where Harry thought about what Percy would say which was hilarious.

I just can't remember the name. So does anyone know it?

Edit: nvm, I found it;
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10049798/1/Pardon-My-French
    Pardon My French
    By: Tintern Abbey
    [reposted] The only thing worse than cheating on your fiancee is cheating on your fiancee with her part-veela sister-in-law. Harry/Fleur.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Humor/Drama - Harry P., Fleur D. - Chapters: 3 - Words: 8,327 - Reviews: 6 - Favs: 55 - Follows: 42 - Published: Jan 24, 2014 - id: 10049798

good lord this is funny;
    Harry reminded himself to never tell Percy any legitimate secrets, ever. It was a good thing Percy didn't know the real reason Harry was alone with Fleur, or else the entire Weasley family would know before the picnic was over. Harry could just imagine Percy tittering in that cringe-worthy way of his, like he had just learned how to laugh from the most rubbish teacher on earth, and saying, "Do be careful now, Harry. You don't want your lips to stray into claimed territory, do you?" Or "Harry, you haven't behaved improperly with anyone's wife lately, have you? Oh, you haven't? Good, good. I'm exceedingly proud of you."

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  17. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've not enjoyed HP ffn this much in a very long time, the story is hilarious Tasoli.

18. Blundo

Blundo Second Year

High Score:
    You know, so many authors have tried so many ways to get Harry/Fleur to make sense that I'm shocked I haven't seen this used before:

After Fleur takes polyjuice to impersonate Harry along with the others in book 7, she needs to go to the bathroom and discovers that Harry has a monster dong. Shenanigans ensue.

19. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

20. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

While the first one is thankfully short, the second one made me rage-quit instantly - and I even did not read the story, but the authors notes. Come on, what year is it that authors need to provided "explanation" such as this:
    Seriously? I usually skip this part, the authors can be retards, but who the fuck decides it is a good idea to include what kind of a temperatur scale they are using? (lets disregard the fact that beyond the USA, no one uses this scale).