1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Help With a HP/Percy Jackson Crossover

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rhaegar I, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

You could always pull an Achilles and make Harry the son of some weak water god? Maybe his father was the spirit of the Thames?

2. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

[shrugs] A popular thing going around is that Harry was the result of a ritual gone wrong or right: either one were infertile and a little meddling was involved, or Lily was in childbirth, something went wrong and a divine agent decided to intervene, and that intervention altered Harry.

I had a fuck-ton of thoughts on a HP/PJ cross that went for the unusual (no Big Three father) and still kept Lily and James as his parents, but they're scattered about on SB and CA.

If anyone wants me to hunt them down, lemme know.

3. S1234567890m

S1234567890m Third Year

My own efforts usually focus on Harry's child being the demigod. Less gymnastics about parentage and avoiding Philosophers stones, and Basilisks etc.

4. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

Well thats a problem isn't it. Because if you go that route, suddenly you have to include parenting in the story. Once you add parenting, it's less Hero of a Thousand Faces and more trending to the entirely wrong side of the spectrum. You better believe there'd be angsting too, more angsting than you could shake a fist at. Fluffy father son bonding time too. There wouldn't be any room for adventure. It would be boring too, after all, being the parent of a demigod gives him a footnote in a myth, but being the demigod gives him a myth.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  5. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This thought popped in my head last night.

Remember, if you want to hold true to PJ canon at all, you also need to make Harry ADD/ADHD. If you don't know the difference (and technically, there is no difference between ADD and ADHD as they're both called ADHD), there are three subtypes: ADHD hyperactive-Impulsive, ADHD Inattentive, or ADHD Inattentive-Impulsive).

Probably the last is the best way to write Harry as you won't have to make him seem more frenetic than HP canon, but it would also fall in line with his seemingly impulsiveness—jumping into action and not being able to let things go.

As far as what Jor. said. Meh, take it or leave it. Sure, it may have been done a thousand times already, but have you done it already? If you have your own story to tell, then tell it. If you're just copying someone else's story, then don't.

After all, IMO, fanfiction is simply training grounds for original writing or hobby writing. And in both cases, who cares if someone else has written something similar.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  6. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I know "Harry is a son of the Big Three" was done a million times. But unlike those stories, which is usually just an excuse for an Uber-Harry, I plan on focusing on actual negatives of being such a kid. Living all alone in the cabin, even your friends kind of keep a distance from you, growing up believing you would be part of this Big Prophecy only to realize some schmuck named Percy was going to do it, the eventual friendship/rivalry with Percy, a potentially interesting relationship with Thalia, and so on.

So don't worry, Jormungandr. Like I said earlier, I'm giving Harry's parentage a different sort of backstory: James died fighting Voldemort, Zeus tricks Lily into having sex with him by disguising himself as James escaped from Hades, the Fates Prophecize Harry has to face Voldemort as punishment for Zeus. Add that to Harry eventually realizing the truth how his dad kind of raped his mom, and you have something relatively decent and original.

7. Mestre

Mestre Professor

Are you planing the events of harry potter and percy jackson at the same time?

Harry having magic and Zeus's powers wouldn`t
    be a overkill ? xD

Hecate was a greek godness of magic before she was roman. Circe and Herpo the foul were both ancient greek wizards.

If Hogwarts backstory will not bring something important to the story you should let it rest. The same thing about the peverels brothers.

8. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Yeah, the Crossover is dead. There were just too many issues working out something as simple as Harry's origins. Add that to my inevitable laziness (combined with real life getting hard), and it just isn't going to happen.

With that said, a lot of the Backstory stuff was going to be important later on. The Founders stuff (namely Slytherin's experiments in Blood Magic) would play a role in the Chamber of Secrets, and the Peverels for when the Hallows show up.

9. Mestre

Mestre Professor

Shame, I still hope reading a good crossover.

if it helps, you can make Harry a son of Aprohdite or being a legacy of Aprohdite by Lily. The power of love would easily be explained.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  10. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

... Huh. That's actually a pretty creative idea. I once read a One-Shot where Harry's a son of Aphrodite, but that was more of a joke about how even Aphrodite can't tame Harry's hair.

Using Aphrodite as a literal Power of Love, on the other hand, could be interesting. If done right, that could have some potential for creativity and comedy.

11. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Just give Harry the Jason-the-Argonaut treatment. In both the PJO canon and in the Greek myths, the gods and goddesses (usually Juno or Diana, who were virgins/unable to bear children) would occasionally "favour" a mortal who is not a Demi-God. For Jason the Argonaut, Hera tested Jason and essentially granted him her patronage... in exchange for a bunch of favours.

Mortals can be blessed by the Gods without being their progeny. Using the Juno angle is a great loophole anyway, because she can be a vindictive bitch (ask any of the Trojans) but also incredibly helpful if she appreciated you (see: Jason the Argonaut). Hecate also has people whom she blesses, and Aphrodite, for obvious reasons, gave Paris a lot of "get-out-of-jail-free" cards.

Harry is a decent enough guy that he could theoretically pique Juno/Hera's interest, especially since she's the mother goddess. If Harry is pining for a family, his devotion to finding a home would impress a goddess like Hera or Hestia enough to gain the boons that a Demi-God may gain. And hence, you have a crossover without incurring the cliche "Harry is a son of the Big Three" plot.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  12. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

That is an interesting idea. But ignoring the fact I'm not doing the Crossover, it would still have the basic problems of any Crossover: how does it genuinely contribute to a story and how to tie in the other Universe properly beyond that one fact.

13. Zeitgeist

Frankly, we are approaching a PJO crossover the wrong way. We keep pigeonholing this idea of Harry must have some connection with the Greco-Roman pantheon in order to amalgamate the two seemingly incongruous universes when a relatively simple but elegant solution remains obvious.

The PJO universe establishes that the UK is usually the domain of the Egyptian gods, who have basically faded away into the Duat due to a lack of belief in magic and because they got supplanted in attention by the Roman Pantheon. Furthermore, the Kane Chronicles (which is in the same universe as PJO) establishes that the Magicians (mortals born with a connection to the mystical) congregated as the House of Life to expel the Egyptian Gods and seal several of them towards the end of the Roman Empire.

Few magicians, ones who've rejected the House of Life's anti-God philosophy, who decide to align with the gods can choose a "path" of one of the Gods. This god will periodically provide a mental presence at the back of the mortal's brain, and the mortal will have temporary access to parts of the god's powers, similar to the range of a Greek Demigod. Meanwhile, the Kanes and other magicians who side against the House of Life will attempt to free the dormant Egypyian gods, who are imprisoned in various artefacts all around the UK, several of which are in the British Museum. The Demon Days (Osiris, Isis, Nepthys, Set, Horus) were trapped in Cleopatra's Needle, before the Kanes' parents freed them.

Later, the Kanes encountered Percy and Annabeth in Riordan's crossover stories, which revealed that the Roman Gods (threatened by the Egyptian Pantheon and their fostering of "magical" populations) encouraged the House of Life to betray Isis and to banish her family to the Duat. This process essentially divided the East (including the UK) and West (most of the US), with the trapped Egyptians technically influencing the East and the Greco-Romans taking the West. Of course, the Egyptians still had a nice laugh when they swayed the Goths to sack Rome.

In the Serapis crossover, Riordan also reveals that several members of both Pantheons do wish for a truce and have been surreptitiously crossing over. Thoth has multiple times inhabited Children of Athena, and Isis in particular had a tacit agreement with Hecate to "share blessings" with those who can see past the Mist/Illusions of the Duat (translation: Magicians/Clear-Sighted Mortals/Wizards). The big leaders of both pantheons dislike any sort of intermingling, with Jupiter threatening to kill most British Magicians, but Isis is a sneaky bitch: she enjoyed a following even in Rome, and even though her physical form was trapped in the London Obelisk, she still managed to manipulate parts of the House of Life which wishes to keep her suppressed.

What all of this means is that Riordan has given us an elegant way into a PJO crossover. Make the Wizards an off-shoot of the Magicians who decided to branch off from the House of Life and not devote the rest of their lives to suppressing the Egyptian Pantheon. When they branched off, Isis convinced Hecate to provide them her patronage so that they could reside without being accosted by both the Roman Pantheon who wants to kill all of them and without being commanded by the House of Life into a servile life of monitoring trapped Egyptian gods. Several thousands of years pass, and most of Modern Wizarding kind have forgotten about their roots to both Hecate (who gave them Halloween, Herbology, Potions, Transfiguration, and Astronomy) and Isis (who gave them Runes - an offshoot of Hieroglyphic Magic - and Charms).

However, Voldemort, in his attempts to live forever, frees the Demon Snake Apophis in order to take control of Death and essentially channels the Egyptian Magics of the Undead: the Inferi are an offshoot of mummies, after all. Alarmed, Isis breaks the agreement with Hecate to contact a Wizard/Non-House Mortal for the first time in a Millenia. She implores a young Harry Potter to break the Egyptian-Roman accords and to shatter Cleopatra's Needle in Muggle London, freeing Osiris, Isis, Nephthys, Set, and Horus.

This causes a chain reaction: the Egyptian gods start to reawaken, causing the House of Life to grow angry and to oppose the Wizards, even though they really should be concentrating on the Apophis/Voldemort partnership to devour the Underworld. Furthermore, Jupiter alerts his pantheon that the disgusting magical population has freed the Egyptians to reignite the Fall of Rome.

After that, you can go in multiple directions. Maybe Harry follows the path of Isis or Anubis. Maybe Hecate or Hera, who is smarter than her bullish husband thinks, helps Harry because many Greeks know that if Apophis-powered Voldemort conquers Death, Tartarus and Hades too will fall under Voldemort's control. You could have multiple or singular factions at war. You could make your story as complex or as simple as you want.

If I had time, I'd explore this bunny more, but I'm working on original fiction instead. But yeah, Riordan set up the mechanics of why the Greeks stayed out of the U.K. and what the Mist/Magic is (a powerful veil of supernatural power which both the Egyptians and Romans use to blind the ordinary mortals). Eschew the cliche of Harry being a son of Zeus. Use what Riordan gave us. You don't have to explore Egyptian mythology: just use it as a kickoff point and then allow Greeks like Hecate or Hera to take over. Not everybody is a moron like Zeus/Jupiter who calls Isis and her ilk conniving snakes... although Isis really is a devious bitch.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  14. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

A round of applause.

That actually sounds like a really cool Plot Bunny. The only issue is I know nothing about his Egyptian stuff. But by god, there is so much potential in this. In the right hands, this could be such an epic story with Greek, Roman, and Egyptian mythology all rolling into one Harry Potter Crossover.

15. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Has Riordan done anything with the Celtic or Norse gods influencing things? I know the latter has its own series now, but the former... even hinted of?

16. Zeitgeist

No, he hasn't. He's hinted at the Norse multiple times during the Kane Chronicles, and Magnus Chase (the protagonist of the Norse series) is related to Annabeth. Riordan implied that he doesn't want to go into other mythologies after he's done with Norse, because his great interest in the myths started with Norse (thanks to Tolkien), segued into Greco-Roman (thanks to The Iliad), and ended with Egyptian (due to the Romans' own love-hate relationship with Egyptian mythos during the Late Republic/Early Empire). He said that this multiverse feels a little tapped out.

His Norse stuff is good, though. The Valkyries are fun.