1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How to use mIRC and get into the DLP Chat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

To get more people off the Java and so that people will stop asking what the IRC address is, I decided to help people out and make a little tutorial on how to use mIRC and set everything up. Also I'm reinstalling mIRC on my computer, so what the hell.

1) Download and install mIRC from: http://nnscript.esnation.com/index.php?section=download&cat=mIRC

I personally suggest you get mIRC version 6.21. It's the older version, but I like it a lot more than the newer versions.

2) Download and install nnscript from: http://nnscript.esnation.com/index.php?section=download&cat=NoNameScript

Download version 4.1 if you're following my personal choice with mIRC version 6.21. Otherwise, if you downloaded the latest version of mIRC, just download the latest version of nnscript.

nnscript is a script that completely changes mIRC and makes it look sexy. The default mIRC is just fucking ugly. There are other choices out there, but again, this is my personal choice. And since I'm the one making the tutorial... :awesome

Difference between the default and the nnscript Hell theme:

[​IMG]

3) Set up nnscript.

Once you open up mIRC, the nnscript settings should automatically pop up. If it doesn't, type in /settings. The first thing we'll do is set up you nick alert balloon pop ups.

It the tree to the left, drop down Balloon Tips and go to settings. Enable the balloon tips first thing, and that's all. You can tweak it around a bit: my display time is 4 seconds, width is 250 pixels, and I enabled transparency and set it to 15%. I also enabled the fade option, and the option that says, "Only show if mIRC is not the active window." I would highly recommend the latter.

You don't have to worry about the events, everything you need is already enabled.

Next we'll set your theme up. In the tree to the left again, click Themes. Click Theme Setup, and it'll take you to the theme menu. Here you can pick whatever you want. My personal favorite is the Hell theme, which is under the Winter drop down menu. When you're finished, close both menus.

4) Setting up mIRC

Alright, nnscript is all set up, the last thing we need to do is set your mIRC up. Press Alt + o to open up the options menu. Go to Connect. For the Full Name and Email Address it doesn't really matter what the fuck you put. Just put in any old thing.

For your nickname, however, please just use your DLP name. It'll save a lot of confusion and yelling. If you must, you can switch it around later when people know who you are. XD

Next, let's finish up your nickalert. Under the IRC dropdown, go to Highlight. First click on Enable Highlighting. In the highlist list, $me should already be there. This basically means that no matter what name you're using at the moment, it will always highlight when someone says your name (the balloon tips will pop up when mIRC is minimized). If you're like me and have more than one name that you use frequently on IRC, and people like to call you different names at different times no matter what your current nick is, then I'd suggest adding in other names that people might call you. I added in Sree, Narf, and JollyRancher. You should also pick a color that stand out. I picked lime green which stands out really well on a black backround.

Also, click on $me and then click on edit. Click on the "Beep" button, a browse folder should come up. Click cancel, and instead of "Beep" it should say "No Sound". You don't need any sounds since you now have the balloon pop ups that will alert you.

5) Getting onto DLP IRC and Registering Your Nickname

Once that's all sorted out, connect to DLP. To do this, type in: /server irc.darklordpotter.net

Then type in /j darklordpotter.

You're in. Now you have to register your nickname so no one else will steal it. And then subsequently ghost (kicking you off the network) you if they deem you annoying.

Type in: /ns register yourpassword email.

And I think that's it for registration. Some servers want you to verify it by going to your email and copy/pasting the verification code they give you into the chat, others don't need this step. Not sure what DLP does.

6) Setting Up Auto-Join and Auto-Identify

So you don't have to keep typing in /j darklordpotter and /ns identify yourpassword every time you log on to DLP, you can do this.

Go to the mIRC options again by pressing Alt + O. Under the Connect dropdown menu, go to Servers. Add a new server and fill in the blanks like so:

[​IMG]

Once you've done this, press add. Then, under the Connect drop down menu, go to Options. Click on Perform. Enable Perform on Connect. For the Network, click add, and scroll (or type in DL, it should take you to DLPnet if you added the network successfully) down to DLPnet. Click ok.

[​IMG]

Next, in the text box type in: /ns identify yourpassword. This is the password you used to register your nick with.

[​IMG]

Auto-ident is set up! Now for auto-joining #darklordpotter.

Close the options menu and press Alt + J. This opens up the favorite channels list. Make sure the "Pop Up Favorites on Connect" is unchecked, and the "Enable Join on Connect" is checked.

Now these folders are just useless, so just edit any one of them. Make it DLP, Darklordpotter, whatever the fuck you want it. Then delete all but one of the channels in the group. Edit the one channel left and for the channel name, type in #darklordpotter. Check the box to the right which says Join on Connect.

Under Networks, click Add. Do the same thing you did for the auto-ident, and choose DLPnet. Click OK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that's it! You're done. Welcome to the Wonderful and Depraved World of DLP IRC. If you're annoying, I'll ban you. If you're a female and under 13, Vash will rape you. :awesome

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    Sree you gave everyone the password for our super secret club house! D:

3. Havoc

Havoc Seventh Year

That's one long ass password.

After the many months of using IRC, I have learned something new from this tutorial, how to make balloons. Thanks Sree.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

But... but... I liekeded ghosting. :(

5. jts360

jts360 Second Year

While I agree the default mirc is ugly, perhaps most people that do not already use it would be better off using something like a webrowser addon such as chatzilla that is for firefox.

Yes getting away from java can be a positive thing, however I think most average or underaverage users need simple minimal applications.

Anyways it was really nice of you to write this up for dlp members and guests, so good work.

6. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I never knew Sree and useful could go in the same sentence, but it seems I was mistaken. I guess those humongous ears of yours did get balanced out by a decent sized brain. :D Anyways, thanks bro for the help. I've been meaning to get everything auto configured for forever. It is rather asinine to repeat the same process over and over if there is a faster way.

7. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Setting up SSL for DLP IRC Chat with mIRC

Now that you have your mIRC client setup, you can install SSL libraries in order to encrypt your communications with DLP IRC.

1) Download OpenSSL
    http://www.mirc.co.uk/ssl.html has a convenient link to a pre-compiled Windows binary which will install the OpenSSL libraries to your computer.

2) Restart mIRC

3) Check that SSL is functioning

To check, open mIRC and navigate to Tools -> Options, under Connect go to Options. The SSL button should now be ungreyed.

4) Connect to DLP IRC
    To connect to DLP IRC with SSL you can either use the connect flag -e, or simply prefix the port with a + sign. For DLP the SSL port is 6697.

/server irc.darklordpotter.net:+6697

When connecting it will complain about the certificate being "self-signed" and the "name on the security certificate is invalid", check Automatically accept this certificate in the future and hit Accept.

Upon connection you should get something along the lines of
    -irc.darklordpotter.net- *** You are connected to irc.darklordpotter.net with TLSv1-AES256-SHA-256bits

Another way to check is to run a /whois on yourself.

::: Whois report for Raven (Raven)
    ::: Address: raven@god.darklordpotter.net
    ::: Raven is using a Secure Connection

Enjoy!

8. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

Oh no shit? Will definitely have to try this out.

9. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

whenever I click the link it sends me to a page with scripit o it, and when I right-click save, it just saves as .exe.txt. What am I doing wrong?

10. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Website glitch, happened to me too. Click on the file so it opens in your browser, then save page as and make sure it saves as just .exe. Should fix it.

11. Riley

thanks for the help

12. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Okay, so I might just be a complete idiot, but whenever I try to get on IRC using my phone, it just won't work.

I have an HTC Droid, and I'm trying using fIRC. It keeps telling me the i/o socket is disconnected.

Could someone please tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong?
    I've also tried AndChat and AndroIRC. They both said I had a MOTD error.

13. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    IRC on a phone sounds terribad. :/

I could get it on my iPhone, but not way would I bother.

14. Riley

how do you do the thing where you perform an action without saying your name.

(23:52:11) • Oz enrols in a spinning class
    (23:52:14) • Oz pedals 8D

/\
    l
    l
    l

like that

15. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

/me action.

/me eats some food. Om nom nom. would equal Militis eats some food. Om nom nom.

16. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

fIRC sounds fail. AndChat and AndroIRC sound like you should be able to just /join #darklordpotter

17. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

What Raven said. Once it says something about the MOTD you should be able to join. DLP IRC always says that there' s MOTD file when I connect to the server window.

18. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

That's because there's no MOTD. Bigger networks use them so people joining are aware of the rules and who the IRCops are.

19. Riley

I didn't want to post this in IRC because it would take up space there and be deleted later sooooo, can someone give me an in-depth tutorial on how to use voice on IRC.

20. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

+v is called voice.
    +v only works when +m is on the channel.
    +m means moderated and only the IRCops can talk.
    +v means, if you have it, that you can talk along with the IRCops, but the others with +v cannot.
    IRC doesn't support sound, they have Vent for that.