1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Laptop Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So yeah, thanks for the help guys. As things stand, going to get the MSI GE60-2PCi745FD . Additionally I will buy Crucial M500 120GB, mSATA 6Gb/s and later on add 4 GB RAM.

Also going to use windows 8.1.

That would work right? For the price a solid laptop that is going to be able to play most games, even if only on medium most of the time.

2. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

That always depends on the game and how well it's optimized (take a look at AC:Unity for example which runs horrible on pretty much any system). But yes, it should do the job. Also, here are some benchmarks from some games with the 850M - just scroll down a bit. As you can see, you should be able to run Civ 5 for example with high settings and get around 30FPS, which is okay for that type of game. Also, if you want to play a new game that just came out, always remember to get the latest gpu-drivers, since they can improve performance.

Apart from that, it looks pretty good. Oh something else: remember to set the SATA-mode in BIOS to AHCI before you install windows.

3. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

If anyone is considering purchasing a gaming laptop in the near future, it might be wise to hold off until late December. The new Sager/Clevo P751ZM are coming out around that time and will offer desktop CPUs in the laptops, including the i7-4790K and above. It will also include either the Nvidia GTX 970M or the Nvidia GTX 980M. Considering desktop CPUs are actually much cheaper than their mobile counterparts, there's a decent chance prices will actually drop across the board.

4. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Making use of a thread, this is for my brother.

Any current recommendations for the following.

Budget: $350 - $500
    Size: Not too sure what you mean. If Screen Size is what you mean, >=15".
    Resolution: >= 720p
    Portable? Yes
    Battery Life: ~6 hours I suppose.
    Games: Diablo 2 + LoD (Windowed & Max Res 800x600), Fallout: New Vegas (Medium)
    Task(s): Typing reports, browsing web, streaming Netflix.
    Storage: >= 200GB

Keep Laptop: At least 2 years.
    Optical Drive: Optional, but being able to read most disks would be nice.

Current Pick:

Acer Laptop Aspire E5-573G-56RG Intel Core i5 5200U (2.20 GHz) 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce 940M 15.6" Windows 10 Home - Newegg.com

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm personally partial to Thinkpads, but in that price range most of the nice Thinkpads (with high quality builds) aren't going to be available.

Still, the E-series and G-series are in that price range. I don't know a ton about them, but if I was looking for a laptop with your specs I'd at least give them a glance.

On newegg, the laptop you linked is the only one I see in your price/size range with a dedicated card. I assume that's one of the main reasons why you picked it. It's also got 8GB RAM and looks like fairly solid specs to me.

But I wouldn't be too surprised if you could make do with the integrated graphics on the nicer intel CPUs. I have a Thinkpad from 2012 with integrated graphics that technically plays SCII on max, even if I leave it on Low all the time, and plays other things I throw at it smoothly if on lower graphics settings.

But at a glance (i.e. 5 minutes) I don't see anything better (with your requirements) than the Acer you selected on Newegg.