1. Another story competition is beginning! (Q1 2018)

"You're bleeding on my floor."

We've moved to a quarterly format, so you really have no excuse not to participate this time.

So check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum and get cracking.

Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Books

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Marguerida, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Erandil

Erandil Headmaster

Yeah when it comes to prose I would either suggest something from Guy Gavriel Kay (my personal favourite is Under Heavens but I think most of his books should easily qualify for a recommendation) or indeed Name of the Wind, which I admittedly no longer view as positively as I once did but still think as one of the better books in the genre, especially in regards to its prose.

Red Sister is in my opinion the best book of Mark Lawrence and it is one of my favourite books of last year but I am unsure if I would call its prose exceptional. Plus, I feel like the second book in the series, which came out this month, doesn't match up to its predecessor in most aspects so while it is something I would certainly suggest to any serious fantasy fan it might not be the best fit for you. Joe Abercombies work is definitely worth trying out, especially the First Law trilogy.

Other suggestions I would have are The Tiger and the Wolf (Iron/Bronze Age shapeshifters) which surprised me with a very unique and interesting concept and of course something written by Christian Camero, also known as Miles Cameron who while maybe not having the most executional prose is in my opinion one of the best current authors in the field when it comes to world building and large scale "action"-scenes. He mostly writes some of the best historical fiction available (as Christian Cameron) but his five book fantasy series "The Traitor Son Saga" is in my opinion one of the better works produced in the genre in the last decade (and more importantly it is finished...) though in my opinion the later books are sadly unable to match the first two entries.

Huh, I have to admit that I feel completely the opposite way. I found the first book to be best one in the bunch with every additional addition becoming successively worse ^^.

2. Mutton

Mutton Auror

The first sequel book of solid, but the latter two are meh

3. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman

So, I searched DLP high and low and couldn't find any reference whatsoever to the awesomeness that is motherfucking Goblin Slayer.

To give you a summary - imagine if Berserk were spliced with OD&D, and centered around a single munchkin-crazy murderhobo who really, really hates goblins.

It's a light novel, and there's certainly anime themes and shit (tiddies), but the world has surprising depth besides that in that it actually examines the cultural consequences of a world where adventurers are a sort of society staple, and why people would hire them at all vs. keeping a guard force (having to pay death benefits, upkeep vs contract). It's dark as hell too - the first couple chapters goes extremely in depth into what happens when a group of well meaning freebooters runs into a group of rapacious, evil goblins.

To give you a reference for how fucking good this is: I found it 12 hours or so ago. I have since bought and read all 4 of the current english-translated light novels, and the manga. It also has an anime coming out sometime this year.

[​IMG]

Do yourself a favor, DLP.

4. BTT

BTT Death Eater

I dunno. I read a couple of chapters of the manga a while back and it seems like nothing more than a bad LN, except the protagonist isn't a weak-willed overpowered idiot but a Hard Man Making Hard Decisions While Hard. Edgy shlock, in other words. Very little changes, it seemed. I won't derec it but I definitely wouldn't rec it either.

5. fire

fire High Inquisitor

I still have no idea how it got an anime tbh. Episode 1 will be a glorious grimdark orgy that's for sure.

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Aye I got through the first two or three arcs of the manga and then promptly dropped it after seeing that the unchanging main selling point of each was "badass kills goblins in truly gruesome detail, occasionally rescuing helpless naked damsels people as a side effect." Maybe the LN was better I dunno.