1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandoms Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume the First]

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rhys, May 11, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

1. Wayne, what happened to those fountains! reviews Naruto returns to Konoha and finally works up the courage to confess his true feelings to the love of his life.Naruto - Rated: T - English - Romance - Chapters: 1 - Words: 8,703 - Reviews: 63 - Published: 5-1-12 - Naruto U. & Sakura H.

This is funny one shot I liked very much. Can't really tell you much since it would spoil it but you should try it.

2. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

That summary made it incredibly unappealing, but I gave it a chance. Then a bit into it, I realized I read it before. It's just that forgettable. Meh. =\

3. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

This one actually has a lot more smaller snippets on SB. I know as I was the one who indexed them.:p

You can find the rest of the ex-canon snippets listed HERE.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's planned to be slash.

5. Sowilo

Sowilo First Year

Catalysis » by Teh Twinnesses Presents reviews We have all seen stories of Ed's journey, but let's try a change. What if, ultimately, Trisha Elric never died? Watch as Ed walks a path markedly different from the old, along the way meeting the people who will shape his life.Fullmetal Alchemist - Rated: T - English - Adventure - Chapters: 7 - Words: 105,651 - Reviews: 219 - Updated: 7-5-10 - Published: 6-16-09 - Edward E. & Roy M.

Pretty awesome for FMA. I'm only on chapter two, but it's worth a mention so far. Basically, Ed actually succeeds in bringing his mother back. Al still has his body. But things didn't quite go as they should have.

And I see no mention of slash in the AN.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Reading it now. I can see why you felt the need to say you saw no mention of upcoming slash. There are hints of it. Much of it is done as humor, like what ensued when Ed accused Mustang of being a pedophile, but little things like Ed (a rather young Ed) noticing the "patch of creamy white skin" on Mustang when he rolls his sleeves up implies it might go down that route later. Irksome.

Mustang and Ed seem mostly in character, which I like. I was particularly amused by Ed always thinking of Mustang as the Bastard. That said I only got partway through Chapter 2 before taking a break and deciding to review -- just in case I don't finish it later.

Preliminary 3/5 though.

7. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Although the "Ed rants at people" bits are definitely overblown, it's still a quite enjoyable piece. I feel like you'd have to age him up for them to really fit, but characters talking far above their age tends to be a common problem in fanfiction. Good to see it being picked up again by the author as well. Can't say I've seen any other good FMA fics though; not to pull off topic, but any good recs?

8. Ched

FMA thread. https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=14857

A bit old but valid. As for the perceived age of characters, well, at least in Ed's case it is easy to accept. He is a genius who is used to taking action, even at that age.

---------- Post automerged 05-11-2012 at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-10-2012 at 11:14 PM ----------

Finished reading it. Was disappointed a bit, but it definitely fits "Almost Recommended."

The problem I had with it is the speed. We have basically 100k words of vaguely creepy Mustang/Ed bonding. I say vaguely creepy because of Ed noticing things like Mustang's skin all the time, and he's 11.

The premise is fine. Ed succeeds in reviving his mother and Al has his body. Therefore we remove much of Ed's drive to act like he did in canon. Therefore he's slightly more pliable and willing to just hang around Central doing research as his own pace. He went to Central because his mother started to go Star Wars on him (fear leads to anger leads to hate, etc.). While he's there he stays with Mustang, because he doesn't know anyone else and Mustang has a sweet library, and being an eleven year old child he starts to form an attachment to Mustang.

Great. ...but that's about it for 100k words. The only other thing is a murder mystery we have going on in the background. It's actually fairly interesting the small way in which Ed is able to help with it, but that aspect of the story is tiny, tiny in comparison to what I talked about in the previous paragraph.

Things finally got interesting with the last paragraph of the updated story... but it hasn't been updated in over a year. I gave the LJ a cursory glance and it appears that the author is still working on it, but I won't hold out for the story ever managing to go anywhere given the current pace of text and update rate.

Good link for this thread though, thanks.

9. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Friendship Contract: My Little Pony/Naruto Crossover

Basic premise is that Naruto gains a summon contract with the ponies. Hits a few of the cliches of Naruto fiction, but doesn't belabor them to the point of aggravation. Also does a bit too much retreading of canon for my tastes.

Still, it's fun enough to make for an enjoyable read, even if it's not that great from a technical point of view.

Another big plus, the update rate has been phenomenal so far; getting daily updates is always nice.

There are also a few interesting twists, like having a chunk of Discord sealed in Naruto alongside the Fox.

Also, Pinkie Pie learning sealing and using it to create the Gatling Party Cannon, capable of firing over 100 parties a second.

10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's not the best written story ever and you can't really take it all that seriously but I'll be damned if it wasn't charming and entertaining as fuck. Naruto is a bit overpowered but you just have so much fun reading this that it doesn't disturb you. It's a Naruto / MLP crossover more in the spirit of MLP than it is Naruto, meaning no gore or whatnot but it is working.

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I've blitzed through it all today. An entertaining read, even if you have to suspend your disbelief a bit more than usual to accept the random shit that happens.

All in all, a good way to waste a weekend with something not too serious.

12. cloud91

cloud91 Fourth Year

Superman: New Beginnings byben10987654321
    The world has a Justice League. The world has a Clark Kent. The world has no Superman. Not yet anyway. A different beginning for our Man of Steel.

Honestly if the author had a beta who understood American slang I probably would of put this up for review but he doesn't so here it is, still one of the better Superman stories I've read.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  13. Ched

The Naruto/MLP Crossover is pretty amusing. Or the first ten chapters I've read so far are. It's cute-sy and like someone said, it has more of the MLP "feel" to it than the Naruto feel. Naruto is the main character though.

Good time waster.

Edit: I started to get bored not too much later though. It's still cute/cool to a point, but Naruto constantly summoning ponies just to make tasks from canon easier (Kakashi passed out after fighting Zabuza? Summon Big Macintosh to carry him! ...and so on) was a little irritating.

I stopped reading after Chapter 15, though I may pick it back up later if bored.

Edit2: Skimmed through the rest of it -- couldn't get into past chapter 15 or so as mentioned.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  14. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It does make for an interesting contrast, since pretty much every MLP crossover I've ever seen before this tends to put ponies into the darker setting, not lighten up the other setting to match the spirit of MLP.

15. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Those darker stories also tend to play in the ponyverse though. I think your Dresden crossover is the only one I know that is a bit darker in which the ponies leave their dimension and even there, it is only temporary. Normally, people go to the ponyverse or the ponyverse is changed/re-imaged to fit the darker themes.

So, it was a nice change to see someone just having fun with the concept of summoning ponies without taking it all that seriously. Not a great story or even a particularly good one in terms of writing and plot but still, entertaining and charming.

Not that the Narutoverse is particularly dark to begin with, canon tells the story more lighthearted than it should, so, wasn't as big of a leap. Naruto himself is two minutes away from weaponizing friendship, so, common theme there. At least MLP is honest about that, right in the title.

16. Sowilo

Sowilo First Year

Actually, I rather liked the pacing. Most FMA writers tend to go full tilt and not even bother with character development, so having her go so slow is kind of refreshing.

The 30K word chapters are pretty nice though.

And the last part of the Ch. 7 I saw coming a mile away. Though I would have been majorly disappointed if it didn't.

Anyways, I looked around on their LJ, too, and apparently the story is supposed to be around... a dozen chapters, give or take. I'm going to assume that there's going to be a time jump somewhere (like canon), so I wouldn't lose interest just yet.

But, it does say on the LJ that the eventual pairing is Roy/Ed. Shame on them.

Non-Slash FMA:

Never Let Go » by Obsessive Child Stuck in Konoha, all Edward Elric wants is to get back to Amestris. But when he forms unlikely bonds with Itachi Uchiha and his brother, added to that a crazy kid in orange, will Edward want to leave?Rated: T - English - Adventure/Drama - Chapters: 26 - Words: 210,392 - Reviews: 737 - Updated: 3-10-12 - Published: 8-15-09 - Itachi U. & Edward E.

I've been watching the author for quite a bit now, and her writing style has improved by leaps and bounds. I'm a little over halfway with this story, and while the beginning kind of sucks, and I would have wanted to see a bit more originality in how Ed actually got to Narutoverse, it's pretty good for the fandom.

She isn't a slash writer either, so no worries there.

17. Ched

Given the paternal nature of Roy in that FMA fic the fact that they are eventually going to ship him and Ed is even less appealing than normal.

18. Sowilo

Sowilo First Year

Oh, I haven't even told you everything. Apparently, there's also past Roy/Maes and eventual Ed/Envy.

Less appealing doesn't even begin to cover it.

19. Ched

I was hesitant to try "Never Let Go" but I'm glad that I did. One thing that impresses me about it that I rarely see in fanfiction is the growth/change of various relationships (and I don't mean romance). It took me a while to realize it was happening (around halfway through maybe), but it is.

Examples:
    We start off with Ed and Itachi becoming friends. The Hokage is suspicious of Ed but gives him a chance, while Ed seems to generally like the Hokage. Sasuke is jealous of the attention Ed gets from Itachi, since they become friends.

At some point Ed moves on from his memories of his previous life, and the various thoughts of Al, Winry, Mustang, etc. we have more or less exit the fic, but they were there for long enough to make it clear Ed didn't forget them.

Itachi kills his clan but Ed knows there was more to it. By this time he has become a secondary sort of big brother to Sasuke. Itachi pretty much ceases to have a role in the fic.

Ed ends up taking in Naruto, who at first does not get along with Sasuke at all, but it grows into it. Ed starts to figure out the deal with Itachi, and his feelings towards the Hokage start to cool a good bit.

...and so on. Relationships spring up, die away, go from good to bad, etc. Ed makes decisions he doesn't want to make, but continues moving forward and doing what he can. He fights with Danzo, loses, and decides the best thing he can do is work for him... at least until he can figure out how to betray him.
    The writing itself in the story isn't quite library material, but it's not that far off so I'm impressed by it nonetheless. Normally in fanfic I see relationships grow, but it's more rare to see them change like this. I liked it, despite the other flaws the story has.

A 3.5/5 from me I guess.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  20. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

I really liked this pokémon fic. It' s a collection of very short horror stories based around different pokédex entries. Unfortunatley I don't think it would get into the library. So here it is:

1. Grotesque Pokédex » reviews A collection of darker short stories relating to the darker side of Pokémon.Pokémon - Rated: T - English - Horror - Chapters: 5 - Words: 3,247 - Reviews: 13 - Updated: 5-18-12 - Published: 4-19-12

Last edited: May 18, 2012
Not open for further replies.