1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandoms Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume the First]

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rhys, May 11, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Carriagespotting, byBlueyonder:
    "A group of troublemaking ponies from Trotland show up in Ponyville for a funeral. Friendship is Magic/Trainspotting crossover, written in the style of Irvine Welsh's novel. Reviews greatly appreciated!"

A MLP/Trainspotting crossover. Written, as Trainspotting was, in a Scottish accent.

Only two chapters up so far, and a really slow update rate, but it is kinda fun to see the scum from Trainspotting invade Equestria. All characters are ponies, raised in Trotland, and come over for Spud's aunt's funeral.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  2. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

The Girl with Red Hair » by Renatus reviews
    "Well you made it. So you're stuck here now. I'm not sending you back out there in the middle of a war! You'll just have to stay here with me from now on. Do you think you'll be alright with that?" All Harry could do was stare at her. HPXNaruto cross.
    Crossover - Harry Potter & Naruto - Fiction Rated: T - English - General/Family - Chapters: 6 - Words: 80,682 - Reviews: 363 - Updated: 5-17-12 - Published: 3-16-12 - - Harry P.

Writing is good, but story is overall not very interesting in my opinion.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Girl with Red Hair is pretty good, and for extra kicks it acts as an AU of The Girl From Whirlpool with the relationship between Minato and Kushina directly drawing from it (though this story is told entirely from Harry's POV so we only hear about the other fic's happenings through stories and hints).

All in all I'm really enjoying it as a slice of life type fic, though it has definitely taken a turn for the darker as of the sixth chapter. Mentioning that, I found myself very disappointed when I got there, because I wanted to keep reading. The storyline may be slow (kinda, it's covered about a year from Harry's arrival to the present) and Harry's reason for going is a bit contrived, but aside from that it kept my attention very well.

Given a bit of time and some more chapters, I would recommend this for the library.

4. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

I have the same problems with it, I like it but it starting to annoy me with it pace.
    I hope we will see some consequence of Minato losing half of his chakra and arm. Now he shouldn't be so powerful to give big edge for Konoha in future conflicts (Sound-Sand, Kumo abduction), it should make story more interesting. I'm looking forward for his continues struggling with his power, as he is now he isn't better than Jiraya, Orochimaru, etc.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  5. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Judgment Calls » by Stephensmat reviews
    John Connor was aware the War was coming his whole life. Kate Brewster was not. This is their story, and the story of the war to retake the Earth. PostT3. AU From Terminator Salvation.
    Terminator - Fiction Rated: T - English - Action/Adventure/Romance - Chapters: 25 - Words: 433,352 - Reviews: 305 - Updated: 3-17-12 - Published: 1-12-08 - - John Connor/Katherine B./Kate - Complete

My favorite Terminator story. Starting from the end of T3, it goes all the way to the end of the Human/Skynet war. While there is a constant vein of romance present between John and Kate, the focus of the story is on the war itself.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The Lives Worth Saving: Naruto, at 26, has lived through 10 years of war. At the end, with nothing left to call home, he sends himself back to the beginning, to the day of his younger self's graduation, in an attempt to change it all. Time travel AU.

I found this via the Filtered Fanfiction search, but a quick look around DLP informs me that it has also been mentioned here, in a thread for Quality Naruto fics.

Personally I think it's pushing more of a 4/5 than a 3/5, and after reading it I debated putting it up for Review. I'm still debating, but for now I'll just toss it in here.

As much as I enjoyed reading it, well, the pace is a bit slow. Naruto goes back in time but keeps his current body (so there's also a younger Naruto running around, and the main one starts using a different name). So far Naruto has told the Sandaime what's going on but otherwise he's just done a secret mission or two and (mostly, but not solely) bummed around with canon characters (for good purpose, I'll admit, but we're over 100k words here).

There are bits of writing scattered about it that strike me as being very well done. Otherwise it does seem to drag on a bit and sometimes I'd find myself skimming ahead a bit to get to the next interesting part.

Edit: Oh, and I think the first chapter might have been pretty rough -- skip halfway down or even give the second one a go if that was the case perhaps? Not sure, but iirc there was some Kyuubi!Head convo.

Edit2: Oh, and another issue I had -- the plotting isn't that tight. Things will be introduced and then never come back up once the idea has been developed a bit. We had a few things revolve around Haruki living next to Naruto, then it was never brought up again (despite Haruki still living there). A former student of Haruki's is brought up and then not mentioned again. And so on.

Plus there seems to be no end to what Haruki is capable of. But at least that can be justified in-universe more or less.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  7. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

1. Tales of a Faker » reviews AU from the third Scenario of the V/N. What if, as Shirou decided to protect Sakura instead of staying on the path of the Superhero, Kotomine couldn't save her from the Worm Crest? Before dying, Sakura asks Rider to make a contract with Shirou.Fate/stay night - Rated: M - English - Fantasy/Adventure - Chapters: 2 - Words: 25,256 - Reviews: 28 - Updated: 5-19-12 - Published: 5-13-12 - Shirō E. & Rider

2 chapter for now but at 25k it is pretty good. There are one or two problems but writing isn't bad and author has a good idea about characters. And an interesting divergence point from HF route.

There are problems like power levels of servants and author seems under impression of mystical eyes can see magical circuits. other than that nice story so far.

8. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Postnuptial Disagreements » Years after his parents survived Heaven's Feel, the son of Kayneth and Sola-Ui finds himself in a different sort of supernatural tournament. But can he survive superpowered alien females, scheming businessmen, and his own partner's urge to strangle him? Fate/stay night & Sekirei, T, English, c17, w55k+, u5/24/12 p5/1/12, No. 105/Benitsubasa

The FSN/Sekirei crossover section seems to be filled with well, In Flight and poor In Flight clones or omake. This fic is one of the few that don't follow the same formula.

It follows Meriwether Archibald, the son of Kayneth who finds himself in the Sekirei plan (his dream being to be in involved in the Holy Grail War). Meriwether is a complete douchebag, seeing nothing wrong with using blackmail, holding hostages and all those effective techniques to win the Game. He's also, as Shirou from In Flight would describe, a first rate magus whose immediate thoughts regarding Type Sekirei to be one of academic curiosity, and a want to start cutting them open for further study.

Despite his character, instead of a grimdark story, it'd presented as a lighthearted, almost comical fic. Particularly, his interaction with his Sekirei, Benitsubasa, is hilarious. Her, feeling all the usual feelings of love towards her ashikabi, and him, being ridiculously emotionally, romantically and sexually sheltered.

A ridiculously high update rate helps too, with several chapters coming out per week.

I'm almost tempted to give it a 4/5 and put it up for review in the library.

9. Ceins

Ceins Second Year

So why didn't you ?

10. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

I've been reading Postnuptials, too. It's a good story, and fans of In Flight who didn't like the harem will like it because Meriwether only has one sekirei. The plot moves faster than In Flight, and the Fate side is far more pronounced as well. I've been tempted to recommend it as well, but held off because of laziness. And I didn't think it was quite good enough for the library, maybe a 3.5 rather than a full four.

11. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I'm quite enjoying Postnuptials, more so than In Flight at least. Library worth IMO, put it up for review

12. Infidel

Infidel Auror

That was excellent. A great story. The first few chapters were a bit shaky, but the rest flowed beautifully. I would qualify this as a must read.

5/5

13. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

A New World, The Story Of A Lost Shinobi » reviews A different custom. A different language. A different time. A different dimension. Damnit Kakashi, where the hell did your Kamui send me?Crossover - Naruto & Fairy Tail - Rated: T - English - Adventure - Chapters: 15 - Words: 124,454 - Reviews: 1257 - Updated: 5-20-12 - Published: 3-11-12 - Naruto U.

I was tempted to put it up for review simply because it's the best cross between these two fandoms. Naruto stays mostly true to his timeskip canon self - he's laid back and cheerful though that's tempered with maturity and perception that war has instilled in him. The rest of the Fairy Tail cast are done quite well too with character interactions being a strong point of this fic.

Only negatives I have are a very average opening chapter and minor spelling/grammar mistakes.

Overall I would give this a solid 4/5 for being highly enjoyable.

14. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

Double Post for some reason...

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  15. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I didn't realise this wasn't already part of the Library. It must've been recc'd on IRC instead; probably by Mishie.

I've been following this story for a while now. It's decent. I prefer it over "The Fire Shadow of Fairy Tail" which is the only other Naruto/Fairy Tail fic I've read.

16. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Inheritance » reviews by ThrashtillDeath
    Iruka takes Mizuki's shuriken to the back in place of Naruto. Thinking Iruka to be dead, Naruto loses control and prepares to unleash the Kyuubi, however before he can tear off the seal, he is stopped by the hand of his hero. The Yondaime Hokage...
    Naruto - Rated: M - English - Adventure - Chapters: 17 - Words: 60,914 - Reviews: 229 - Updated: 5-26-12 - Published: 9-19-10 - Naruto U.

Okay, this really isn't all that great, but it's readable. There are a fair few typos, oddly missing words, and some grammatical mistakes, which are all irksome, but nothing a beta couldn't fix. The storyline isn't anything to write home about, and the premise could have been handled better. But once you get past the first few opening chapters, there's some decent training, and Naruto doesn't act like a jackass, actually taking his training seriously. He discovers the secret of the Kage Bunshin a lot earlier and Jiraiya takes a more active role in his life sooner.

Some things, contrasting with canon in small ways, annoy me, like the use of Goukakyuu no Jutsu by non-Uchihas, especially in the case of Jiraiya. Jiraiya should use Endan no Jutsu, not Goukakyuu. But whatever, it's readable, which is something I can't say for most Naruto fanfiction.

17. cold burn

cold burn Third Year

Average Basically Shikimaru and Tenten meet up when they first start the academy and decide that getting engaged is the best way to ward off 'fangirlitis'. I figured I'd put it here as it isn't exactly a literary masterpiece but it made me laugh a few times.

18. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Choosing the Fourth reviews
    In which the Third Hokage, the three Sannin, and the Yellow Flash decide on the Fourth Hokage by means of 'not its', addressing a series of hypothetical situations, and seeing who's brave enough to put on Tsunade's cursed necklace.
    Naruto - Fiction Rated: K+ - English - Humor/Parody - Chapters: 1 - Words: 3,098 - Reviews: 86 - Updated: 9-13-09 - Published: 9-13-09 - - Minato N./Hiruzen S. - Complete

Not a masterpiece but I got a few loughs out of it. Decent time waster if you have few minutes to waste

19. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I believe you meant laughs.

That said I got several lines in, my suspicion growing at the familiar style, before browsing back up and confirming the author was who I suspected it to be and closing it. No thank you. I can only stand her writing once or twice before it all looks the same no matter whose names are substituted.

20. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Judgement Calls is pretty good. If you enjoy the Terminator universe. The middle is excellent but it kind of drags in places. The writing is solid but nothing special.

I enjoyed reading it well enough. I would give it a solid 4/5 for fans of the universe.

Also Sarah1281 writes so fucking much that you have to expect most of it to be cookie cutter. I mean 287 stories, even if a good portion of them are one shots, is just irresponsible.

I'm kind of interested in the Fate/Stay Night universe but there isn't a ton of background info. Could anyone give me a short explanation?

Not open for further replies.