1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

PDF Exports Disabled

Discussion in 'News' started by PatronusCharm FeedBot, Jan 18, 2008.

1. PatronusCharm FeedBot

PatronusCharm FeedBot RSS/Atom Feed Poster Bot

In response to a recent flooding of PatronusCharm's server, PDF exports are now disabled. PDF exports takes a LOT of processing power, and I had assumed that the members of the site would respect and not abuse this feature. I also made sure that Googlebot and the like wouldn't hit it and spike loads. But today a client from France apparently used some sort of spidering technology to perhaps index the site for his/her own use, which did not respect robots.txt and proceeded to hit the PDF export on every single story PC has, and at the time I stopped requests, the process had indexed over 350 pages within a 5 minute interval. This, of course, led to the server being saturated with PDF conversion (about 20 concurrently) and leading to DLP stopping requests to stem the load. I've since disabled PDF exports for an indeterminate amount of time, and perhaps will reappear as a donation-only service.

-Lord Ravenclaw at Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:46:27 -0600

More...