1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Perfect Slytherins - Tales from the First Year by Jeconais (Series: WiP)

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by knothead, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

Harry is ruthless and without emotion. He made a eleven year old command and silence the entire great hall with few words. And it was completely believable. This a great piece of work. 5/5

2. 007_rock

007_rock DA Member

Being a Jeconais fanboy, I loved the fic. The only problem was that I don't have a single clue what Addams family is. I read it yesterday and I never knew it to be a crossover fic until I saw this thread. But still I didn't find any problems understanding it. Too early to rate, but the first chapter seriously rocks...

3. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Much better than Ishtars attempt, that's for damned sure. I usually hate cross-overs but this one..this one is a work of art. It captures Wednesday's utter psychotic loveliness and amuses at the same time. For now, it's a 4/5.

4. Cy Block

Cy Block Second Year

I don’t have much hope for this. Considering how strong Harry and the Addamses already are, I don’t see how Voldemort will survive past Christmas. I fear new and fierce opponents leading to epic battles. Too early to rate.

5. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Harry & family are slightly (or more) overpowered I guess, but I liked the story very much. If future chapters will be as entertaining it will be 4.5-5/5 for me. Well, closer to 4.5.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  6. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Harry and Wednesday seem a bit to powerful but it doesn't really bother me. I liked both of their clam dark attitudes a look forward to see whats going to happen next.

I have to wonder why nothing happens when harry stabs Draco in the hand and when Wednesday holds a knife to Ron's throat though... I wouldn't have thought Dumbledore would let the issue drop a quickly as he seemed to.

7. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

This is the Addams family without the laugh track. Great job. The series is rerunning on cable, and it would be so much better if it weren't ... silly.
    Throwing the dagger beside Snape, and Pugsley's troll harvest, as well as Gomez shouting, "Have at you!" were all perfect.
    4/5

8. BlackPawn#7

BlackPawn#7 Squib

I would never fault Jeconais for his lines and verbal exchanges. His best scenes are frequently those set up with a clever rebuttal waiting at the end. Jerconais is one of the best prose writers I've run across in HP fanfiction, but I find that his characters themselves are a little lacking.

In a nutshell, they are too perfect. The perfect couple, the perfect magical knowledge and background, the perfect foresight that defeats all pathetic machinations headed their way, and the (supposed) perfect happy ending.

I am not an opponent of Super!Harry by any means, but I do like characters to be challenged in ways that leads to growth. If a character starts out as near perfect, what can possibly stand up to them? Where is the conflict? (A one-sided beatdown of Malfoy, amusing as it is, does not count as conflict.)

3.5/5 for excellent writing style, but I don't sense much uprise in this piece.

9. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

10. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    It's not bad and parts are quite good, but the last quarter made me cringe. Jeconais has a tendency to over-do his backstory to the point where he's telegraphed so much about what drives his characters that it's impossible to be surprised by anything they come up with. I could have lived without the Hermione/Wednesday scene entirely at this stage. It's good fodder for, say, chapter ten, not chapter two. Yeah, it's interesting, but it saps all the mystery (and, by extension, much of the magic) out of an otherwise excellent story.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  11. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's entertaining... more entertaining than I ever thought the Addams Family could ever be. I agree that the last quarter of the second chapter was very 'meh', but the rest of it is good enough for me to ignore it. 4/5.

12. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'm withholding my score for now until at least the next chapter. So far it has been very entertaining and enjoyable to read. The only problem I have is that it seems almost complete. The relationships look as if they're locked up. All necessary and wanted expository have been given concerning character motivations and backstory.

The only thing that will save the story in my opinion is if Jecoinas deviates from canon. Or makes it really really funny.

13. BrewBreaker

BrewBreaker First Year

Similar to the stories he has done before, but hey, we don't exactly look to Jeconais for inspired plot do we? This looks like it might be a little different than his previous ones because it seems that Harry isn't going to be the perfect white knight he is in every other Jeconais story, and the Addams's are always interesting characters in fanon.

4/5 so far.

And this line was pure win:

“I go to school alone, make a few friends, get betrayed by authority figures, lose people I let into my heart, and then I die, and win, and end up in a dull marriage with stupidly named children. It’s a life full of pain, suffering and misery.”

14. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

A very detailed description of the HP series.

15. Hawthorne

Hawthorne Guest

Although I only know the Addams Family from my dads nostalgic musings about his time in the USA as a teen, I loved it.

The dark melodrama, controlled but frothing madness and ostentatious violence make it worth reading. Sadly enough it's really his usual kind of fluffiness without any of the depth that makes vaguely similar (but so much more epic) pieces like Evil Be Though My Good what they are.

16. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

I read the second chapter a couple of hours ago and am eagerly awaiting more. I love the AdamsFamily/HP xovers of both Jeconais's and his fellow FFA member's.

I think I liked the first chapter a little better, but still... 5/5 so far.

17. Jeez us

Jeez us First Year

Wednesday looked at her for a long time before she folded her hands neatly in her lap. “I knew my destiny from the day I was born,” she explained calmly.
    “I would kill my first boyfriend with an axe at the age of seventeen. I would bury him in the garden and use his car. By the time I retired, I would have killed seventy-two men, and would be rich beyond the dreams of mere mortals, and completely alone. Our clan would have grown, and life would have continued.”
    “That’s awful,” Hermione gasped.
    “I know,” Wednesday agreed. “Only seventy-two deaths.”

5/5

18. Blah-the-Sixth

Blah-the-Sixth First Year

I have to agree with Perspicacity. The last quarter of chapter 2 was rather cringe worthy. Though I don't like the whole scene with Voldemort, honestly. From what I can tell, Jeconais is planning on following to the end of fourth year and based on Voldemort's scene the conflict between him and Harry looks to be unsatisfying.

That being said this is chapter two and so I will continue on to see how things develop.

19. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Well, since everyone seems to love it, I suppose I'll give it another try...

20. Dareycow

Dareycow Fifth Year

I love it! At the moment it is my favorite work in progress. Like others, I do not how he is going to resolve the Harry - voldemort power gap. Harry just seems to powerful and its only the first year. If he can make a believable way of bypassing that power gap, he'll turn it from one of my favorite fics into my favorite fic.

Oh and also hopefully he explains just whats everyones powers are. A little more detail that way, at the moment we know the addams are powerful and that its because of their breeding, we just don't know which characters are powerful in what ways. A little more details into the make-up would be nice.

Overall I rate 4.5/5. If he can keep the excitement going in coming chapters and keep me interested, it will be perfect.