1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Plot Hole, or I just missed something

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Vesvius, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

I believe Mab was more like "You will do this for me." As opposed to "you'll do it anyway." Also perhaps the idea that Dresden will be doing it on her behalf. Remember Summer & Winter pretty much have to be in balance. Summer had their emissary in Elaine, so Winter needed to have theirs in Harry.

I hadn't read Dresden Files when this topic was more active, but looking over, I recall in SK when Harry visits Aurora's court, she offers him something to drink/eat, and then clarifies it as mortal food, not Faerie, Implying that it was free of charge. Perhaps that might be why the lemonade is not a big deal.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Actually what Jon said sparked something that made sense -- When Harry's supporters on the WC were saying "WTF you can't seriously expect a young wizard like to be able to get in touch with Mab and ..." Harry: "Actually, yeah, she already contacted me. I got this."

If Mab hadn't already talked to him then Harry wouldn't have had that "She already talked to me about it" option.

But then again, he'd have agreed to do it anyway... but maybe Mab didn't know that.

CBs points also make some sense. The whole episode still seems iffy, but at least now it's not bothering me as if it were a major plot hole.

Thanks.

3. Ched

Doing a re-read of Changes. The above is from the scene in St. Mary's before they head out to confront the Reds. Harry is talking to Martin.

Who is the second White Council member he's referring to? At this point he isn't expecting McCoy to show up. Last time he spoke with McCoy was when he was told to show up for a Grey Council meeting that he blew off.

Typo? For my count, it's Harry, Susan, Martin, Mouse, Thomas, Murphy, Lea, Molly, and Sanya going on this escapade.

Edit: Ah, he probably meant Molly. Though as an apprentice I'm pretty sure she doesn't count as a member yet. If that's all it was then sorry for the necro.

On another note, I had completely forgotten that Harry didn't just beat the WC to the punch and take out the Reds before the Merlin's plan could come into action, he saved their asses. The disease that Arianna had laced around the complex at Edinburgh had slipped my mind, a lot of them were down with it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  4. azrael

azrael Professor

I assume that was referring to Molly.

5. Ched

Yeah yeah, I'm bumping an old thread. But seems like a good place to place to discuss minor plot questions/concerns so we don't clutter the place up too much.

One of the Seven Laws of Magic is "Thou shalt not invade the mind of another." The question is, does just looking count?

Dresden says to Molly that...
    Later he thinks to himself the following...
    Obviously Molly broke the laws multiple times in Proven Guilty b/c she went into their heads and screwed around in there, best of intentions or not. I don't think I need to pull up quotes for that. But it seems to me like the danger in this kind of magic is due to the fact that altering something in someones head screws with your own, which leads down a slippery slope, but if you don't actually affect a change in the other person... then is that still applicable? Especially if they don't object/fight you?

There are some other incidents that seem to muddy the waters on what is or isn't a line to cross.
    That implies that it's alright to look, though it isn't outright said that the Master Wizards are looking for the mind magic douchebaggery in the heads of the younger wardens, where else would they be looking? Surely if that had the ability to damage their psyche it'd not be done.

I can't find the quote right now, but I also think that it was implied at one point that the reason they hadn't taught any better psychic defenses before was because of that same reason though -- you'd have to be in someone's head to help them learn more than the basics, and that is not allowed.

This is held up by the scene in Turn Coat where Molly looks at Luccio's head. She doesn't alter anything, and never even implies that she intended to alter anything. She does imply that she might have been seeking something Luccio wouldn't have wanted her to know ("What if she’s just like Morgan—only a lot better at hiding it?"), so perhaps that is enough on it's own to warrant a change in Molly's psyche, but the discussion afterwards centers around the fact that Molly looked into Luccio's head at all. It gives me the impression that simply checking to see if someone had screwed with Luccio's head would be a dangerous violation of the Law because of the effect it'd have on Molly.

It's a long scene, and I wouldn't feel right quoting the entire thing. It's in Chapter 34 of Turn Coat though.

But prior to that, in Small Favor, we had something very similar that no one freaked out about. When Harry is unconscious Michael asks Molly to have a look in his head, b/c they're concerned someone has screwed with him. It's implied that Michael thinks it's the Denarians.

Now here, Harry's concern seems to be more along the lines of "kid in a candy store." I.e. He's worried that letting her poke around in someone's head will tempt her into breaking the law again -- he certainly doesn't seem to think that she broke it here. She also didn't have Harry's permission to peek into his head.

What's more, is that Luccio was present. They even asked for Luccio's opinion on Molly's foray into Harry's head, and she seems perfectly fine with it. More than anything else that implies that it's fine to just have a look as far as the Laws are concerned.

So, to me, this seems like a lot of conflicting information on this Mind Magic crap. The other 6 Laws don't seem to have as much leeway in them for where you cross a line, but perhaps we just haven't run into those aspects of them yet.

Is there some common denominator I'm missing between all of these scenes, or has Butcher actually given us genuinely conflicting information about what is or isn't alright when it comes to Mind Magic?

6. Joschneide

Joschneide Groundskeeper

The other Laws have plenty of leeway.

Why the heck do you think Dresden is still breathing when the penalty for using magic to kill someone is death?

Every Law has its gray area. And quite a few of the Laws will be broken by most Wizards in their maturity at some point. It's more about intent and possible harms.

For example, Molly peering inside of her master's head upon request from a Knight isn't like Molly peering inside of the Commander of the Wardens' head while she is sleeping because the little apprentice has a hunch.

There's so much gray in that first instance that if anyone were angry about it they wouldn't begin to know how to argue their case to the Council. In the second case if Warden Luccio had been furious, or Harry, then it could have gone much differently since Molly was acting of her own accord, instead of on request from, well, a higher power.

EDIT: As far as Butcher's consistency, I'm pretty sure Mind Magic just happens to be the most muddled of the Laws since intent has so much presence here and is so completely hard to prove or disprove.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  7. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

There are two laws on mind magic.
    Molly broke the fourth, which is basically the "no mind control" law when she forced Rosie and Nelson to lay off the drugs.

The third law though is specifically on mind reading.

The RPG rulebook goes into deeper detail about the laws, since breaking them is a pretty important game mechanic.

It gives a pretty good analogy on the third law.

It also specifically lists some examples of stuff that comes close, but isn't crossing the line like the dead brain trick.

Using the analogy from above, checking someone for signs of mental intrusion might be something along the lines of taking a walk around their house and seeing if any windows/doors have been broken.

8. Ched

You misunderstand -- there's no doubt that Harry broke the law when he killed his mentor. He got off because of the circumstances, but he definitely broke the law.

Molly had good intentions when she screwed up the minds of her friends.

I kind of see the point you're making, but only kind of.

Edit: Ninja'd by the awesome post that appeared while I had this tab open for coffee making purposes. Thanks for the info from the Rulebook man. I'm gonna find a copy of that and do some more reading, but it looks like that more or less answers the question. The bit where Molly looked at Luccio to see if she'd been tampered with still seems to be a strange case (I think?), but that explains everything else.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  9. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I think the house metaphor works best here. Molly's gotten in hot water because she broke into people's houses and stole their drugs for the best of reasons, but she left the front door hanging off it's hinges in doing so.

[QUOTE='Turn Coat]Damn near every Warden under the age of fifty had been programmed with that go-to-sleep trance command, and it had been done so smoothly and subtly that it was difficult to detect even when the master wizards were looking and knew where to find it.[/QUOTE]

Letting an expert into your house to check if anyone's broken in and tampered with anything.

Prowling around the outside of a building, checking the doors and windows for signs of a break-in. Not technically illegal, but if you're caught while doing so you sure as shit aren't going to have much luck explaining what you were doing, and it provides temptation to someone who has a history of B&E.

Michael knew Molly was good with lockpicks, so he asked her to break into Harry's place without his knowing to make sure nothing was out of place inside. A nasty reminder of her history, a bad habit for her to practice, and a lot of temptation while she was in there - but it had to be done, and it was done with the knowledge and approval of her father and a high-up law-enforcer.

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The way I've proposed on the JB forums is that each mind has a threshold that must be crossed by any would be psycho/neuromancer. In an ideal situation the person has given you their explicit permission to enter their mind, as I assume Harry and Elaines' telepathy spell did, while Molly's intrusion into Harry and Luccio's minds were without consent and thus had to cross the threshold, doing some damage on the way through solely because she had to bull through it to get inside.

11. Ched

Yeah I'm liking the House analogy and your proposed theory Aekiel. In your case Aekiel, if Molly's intrusion into Harry's mind did some damage, and if "doing damage" is the main criteria for whether or not you broke the law, I'm still a little surprised it didn't freak Luccio out. But as someone else here said I reckon it could be that it was a minor thing, with consent of Dresden's friends, etc.

Also, "Aekiel" is just a pink name. "Blaise" is more of a light purple. "Taure" is a light aqua. "CheddarTrek" is more of a yellow-orange. I know these things. >.>

12. Aekiel

High Score:
    Remember that Luccio was being mind controlled pretty heavily at that point. Chances are she wouldn't have allowed it had she been in her right mind (literally, in fact).

Sigh.

13. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think this has come up before in regards to the Laws. Harry and Elaine's telepathy spell, the Merlin's use of a similar spell in Turncoat, heck even the pebble cells in Changes do not break the Third Law. Its projection magic not intrusion.

To go by the house metaphor Harry is neither breaking down Elaine's door or even using a key given to him. Its more like two neighbours with a two-can-and-string phone. Or in the Merlin's case, that douche bag in the apartment above yours blasting his music.

14. Aekiel

High Score:
    I wouldn't really agree with that. When Harry uses the telepathy spell he gets right inside Elaine's mind, to the point where he's feeling what she's feeling (the despair the Skavis was doling out on her). That doesn't seem like the projection magic the Merlin used to me, nor the pebbles, which are exactly like mobile phones. Harry and Ebenezar probably meet in some out of the way corner of the Nevernever when they use those. So I would hazard the guess that what he used there was active psychomancy that was only legal because of the consent of the two participants.

15. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

The Merlin, from what I understand, just made a really kickass Veil.

16. Ched

Here's some excerpts from the scene in Turn Coat where the Merlin does his communication mojo. I cut out the bits that didn't seem to contain info about the mind/communication/whatever magic.

I'd say it's more than just a really kickass veil, unless we are speaking of different things.

This is a lot more in-depth than I recalled, though I'd still say that this isn't really invasive in the sense that it would break the law. Well, I mean, obviously the Merlin isn't breaking the law in the middle of a council meeting, so this is a good example of what you can get away with legally. He doesn't appear to be getting anything back from people -- so he can't see their minds and they can't see his -- he's just projecting somehow to everyone?

17. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Like it says it in the text, it was an illusion. Or rather, a whole bunch of them - one for each wizard present, that only that wizard could see.

18. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Chedder, I think you should read the part right before what you quoted. It's an Illusion. A Veil.

When he says it's in his head, it means that the Merlin isn't actually talking to him.

19. Aekiel

High Score:
    Veils = Illusions. Illusions != Veils.

Veils are spells used to hide things from sight, usually yourself or an object near you.

20. Ched

Bumping again since I finally got around to re-reading Ghost Story. I thought it'd be good to keep our discussion of possible plot holes here, especially as there aren't so many that the thread is going to get out of hand...

...I could swear I had already discussed some of this in a forum thread here, but I couldn't find it. Just read this thread again as well as two of the Ghost Story ones, so here goes.

Bob & Necrobob:

• In Dead Beat Harry tells Bob to lock off all his memories of his time with Kemmler and never access them again
    • Cowl steals Bob and uses him in place of the Word of Kemmler to start up the Darkhallow, this implies that Bob was able to access those memories because he was under-new-management and the order from Harry was moot once he was under Cowl's control (this is more or less confirmed in Ghost Story as possible)
    • In Ghost Story Bob tells Harry that back in Dead Beat he simply cut out all his memories of Kemmler so that he couldn't be forced to remember them, and those memories are what is running around in spirit form creating havoc
    So if Bob cut out his memories so that he couldn't be forced to access them in Dead Beat, then how did Cowl use him to start up the Darkhallow?

Only explanation I can come up with is that Bob cut those memories out afterwards. As in he realized that blocking them wasn't going to be good enough if someone stole him again like Cowl had, so he cut them off after the fact. But that's an unsatisfying explanation, even if it does more or less explain things.

Missing something here?

Another thing that bugged me, that isn't actually a plothole: When Murphy's house got shot up in Ghost Story the only person inside to be hit was... Abby.

The freaking prescient practitioner. The only one to get shot was the one who would have seen it coming a second or three early. Right after we've had evidence of her using this ability to keep her dog from running around and so forth.

You can explain that away by saying she wasn't used to combat situations and even knowing that you'll be shot in two seconds isn't enough time to formulate a reaction that would prevent it... but this isn't a new ability for her, she's obviously used to acting on it, and she's been living in a very dangerous world for a while now.

Just bugged me a little.

If Fitz really is the son of Tera West and MacFinn as fans are theorizing... then, well, Tera really didn't strike me as the sort to have left him to fend for himself. She was downright motherly to the Alphas when they were young, and it's not like she wouldn't have known she had a son (that tends to be harder to hide from the mother than from the father). Curious to see where his character goes -- and it had better go somewhere interesting, because he got a lot of screentime for a character that isn't going to have a role later.