1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Previewing post deletes anything written

Discussion in 'Site Related Support' started by addictedforlife, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I've had this problem, with an additional issue...

When I hit Preview Post, the preview is as I wrote it, but it deletes everything from the edit window, just as addictedforlife originally pointed out.

I tried circumventing this by copying my post before I previewed it, then pasting it back into the edit window to continue editing it. However, if you do that and then preview it again, it actually combines what was first previewed (and vanished) with what you subsequently pasted and edited, to create a colossal redundant post, which gets bigger every time you preview and edit.

Basically, the site/editor remembers what you were composing before you previewed it, but it doesn't show up in the edit window. If you tried to preview/submit that, as is, it would tell you that you need at least 10 characters (i.e. you've written nothing), but if you paste what you originally wrote back into the editor and then submit/preview it, what you end up with is actually a combination of your originally previewed text (which the editor "remembered"), combined with each subsequent edit of it.

It's made editing anything large all but impossible for me - I had to edit my post to the crossover thread in another program because the DLP editor kept multiplying what I wrote (and, in fact, I can't go back and change that post, now, because it shows up blank when I go to edit it). I thought I was taking crazy pills, because each time I tried to check my corrections to Retsu's Folly, the chapter seemed to get bigger and bigger (I still haven't finished it!).

You'd be surprised how long it can take to twig to what's going on, when you can only see 14 lines of text at once, out of hundreds/thousands... :confused:

I'm using Firefox 32.0.3 and a bunch of add-ons (no, really, a lot of 'em).

EDIT: It must just be large posts, or something, because I can edit this post (obviously), but the other one just comes up blank. Same thing happens in IE7.

Posted without previewing first, because FFS...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  2. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Thanks for the detail guys. I'm still investigating a fix, but large posts triggering the issue is an excellent datapoint for me to try and reproduce this issue.

Again, sorry this is happening -- I'm limited on bandwidth right now, but I'll keep looking into it.

3. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This is happening to me as well, in the thread "What is a Magi?"

Within the thread itself, I am able to edit the smaller posts, but unable to edit my larger posts. The same things that are mentioned above become an issue.

I am using Win 8.1 and Firefox 32.0.3. Also, I just switched to Firefox after using Chrome for years, and the problem arose only after the move to Firefox.

4. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

This bug went away for me after the server change, but now it's back again >.>

Literally no idea what's causing it.

5. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Its eating social group posts again too. I tried to edit one I made this morning and it was blank. Cancel, copy, click edit again and then go advanced and it stays eaten. Paste and preview and it previews but eats the text. Paste and post again and no loss.

6. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

It's still an issue in the WBA forums, I have trouble every time I try to post updates to my story.

7. MathBlade

MathBlade First Year

My guess is that you may have upgraded or are using PHP 5.4. I won't ask you to confirm or deny a tech stack being used on a board but vbulletin doesn't support PHP 5.4

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...a-is-empty-if-i-want-to-edit-posts-or-threads

This is a possible solution. I've never tried it but I heard about it.

IMO it's probably not getting eaten if anyone cares. More than likely some inner functions changed somewhere in some of the releases and it simulates an eaten because the message from the vbulletin forum/db isn't making it back to the user to see. Then when the user types and presses add the program thinks concatenate because the user didn't delete what the user never saw in the first place and becomes what I like to call an "uber (words sensored) mess"

---------- Post automerged at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 23:06 ----------

Sometimes it's a character like a degree symbol as mentioned before but IMO it's probably best to look at the messages it happens to not necessarily the browsers. If something isn't coded well or programs "disagree" special characters can muck everything up. I've had to test stuff to work in foreign languages I can't read and compare things...One letter got called the triangle house and I had to follow it throughout since it was pretty common. (P.S. If you know Chinese or Japanese please no murder the techy because she doesn't speak/read it.)

Good luck!

---------- Post automerged at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 23:09 ----------

Oh and before I forget Legal bull crap.

I have not owned, tested, or examined the suggestion in the above link or compared it to the board. I just noticed people stumped and am giving my two cents. Any technical opinions should be discussed thoroughly before implemented.

Yes I say this legal bullshit because a friend of mine asked me an off the wall hypothetical and then took my advice without all the details...Things got awkward.

8. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I'm having this issue as well. It really does seem to be related to length. I just tried to edit the first chapter of my WbA to include a table of contents (this post) and it comes up blank. But this short post lets me edit it.

9. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

I'm having the problem right now. Started a threat in the WbA and can't edit anything as it only shows an empty 'workspace', so to speak, as if I haven't written anything at all.

10. Riley

So Quoting and Editing and Previewing larger posts and posts with quotes is still giving me issues, including erasing the text of a post I want to edit or preview.

Just wanted to know if there's any update to this? If more info or data is needed to figure it out, please let me know what I can do to help.

11. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

I've been having this issue for some time now. To get around it I have been using a mixture of Chrome and Firefox. Chrome allows for editing posts and such but doesn't copy/paste formatting correctly (bold, underline and italics lost) while Firefox blanks posts when I'm attempting to edit or preview but keeps formatting better (bold, underline and italic work but it drops line breaks between paragraphs upon paste for some reason).

12. Lord Ravenclaw

Let me know if anyone still sees this after tonight.

13. Riley

Just tried to edit my last post in this thread and hitting the edit button wipes out the text of the post. Not sure if it's related or still ongoing to the previous problems indicated.

14. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

I haven't noticed any change. Preview still wiped out the content of the message box when I did it for my Rumbledore fic post. It worked fine when I tried it for this actual post

Hitting edit in Firefox still causes the quick-edit box to come up empty (and after hitting go advanced it stays empty). Chrome still seems to behave itself only it can't switch between editor modes (and so can't copy/paste formatting). Which is annoying.

15. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

That's how it is for me, too. And the weird thing is it still seems to be tied to post length. Anything long-ish, Firefox brings up an empty box. I'll go to Chrome to fix it, and I can do it, but the editor mode won't switch between WYSIWYG and HTML. Like, that button literally isn't there in Chrome.

16. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Same for me as well. I had seen the behavior a couple of times before with long post. Edit box comes empty. Preview makes the box empty as well.

I'm using Firefox with adblocker.

EDIT: I can edit this post just fine.

17. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

It works perfectly fine in Opera, btw. The old one, 12.17. It seems to always directly load the full editor, though, and now that I write it, I can't recall when I last used the inpost-editing.

18. Lord Ravenclaw

I believe this is fixed with the upgrade to vBulletin 3.8.9