1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Prodigy by jmcgk6 - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Avitus, Sep 15, 2005.

1. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I enjoyed it the first time round--though I didn't like the M-Machine.

I'm happy to say that this rewrite looks even more promising.

I do hope he keeps the indepent study; having Harry go to classes, despite being bloody brilliant, has always urked me.

2. jmcqk6

jmcqk6 Guest

Well, i never said he'd be going to classes... Well, he'll be going... sometimes... The circumstances of his time at hogwarts is going to be very different, though, than the independent study of the first time around

3. nezza88

nezza88 Muggle

dude have you tried dumbledores army by bodmin? thats another harry can do anything type story and its a lot better explained than this one is, my only bad point about it is a redeemed snape but the authors explains why they did it too. it may already have been posted on here but i dont have a lot of time right now to be certain any way check it out its a good read.

4. jmcqk6

jmcqk6 Guest

Wow, I'm surprised that you are able to pass such a judgement after only one chapter.

Dumbledore's Army was a crappy story. Let's send Harry a letter from his parrents telling him that he's in love with Ginny. Let's let Harry become a phoenix animagus without any explanation. Let's give Harry a bunch of powers and figure out how to defeat Voldy from a dream. Let's fill up the story with a bunch of pointless and shitty pranking. You have to respect bobmin's ability to crank out super long fics and stick with them to the end, but I can't go much beyond that. I simply can't stand it.

5. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

nezza88, have you ever heard of a spelling and grammar check? jmcgk6's story may have gotten a little screwy, but that's what the rewrite is for.

Also what's with your name? Are you an incredibly bad Shezza knock-off?

6. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Yeah, there is really no comparison. Prodigy > Anything by Bobmin.

7. jts360

jts360 Second Year

Seems im100HPGWandRWHG is writing/posting another rewrite of this, though given the old versions of no longer on fanfiction I am unsure just how much what is up currently differs if it does yet at all.

8. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Well, if it's being written by someone who is 100% for HP/GW and RW/HG (so much so that they make it their name) then it has to be good. :puke:

Edit: Actually, taking a closer look at this person's profile, they really are that rabidly pro-Harry/Ginny.

In fact, they're pretty much rabidly against anything but the canon pairings. Or, to be more accurate, anything but what was in the books. Makes me wonder why they bother writing, or even so much as reading fanfiction. They do, however, seem to enjoy licking JKR's ass.

Prodigy was originally H/Hr but obviously this 'author' is changing that. Sigh... I'm signing off before I start flinging around terms like 'douchebag' and 'mindless JKR apologist'.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  9. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

*Snickers*

Whilst I don't enjoy HP/ GW stories, it is easy to appreciate a good plot and storyline.

This story has that in spades.

Aerin

10. jmcqk6

jmcqk6 Guest

ugh, finished skimming the new version. Can't say I like someone corrupting my ideas like that, but I stand by what I said... Anyone can do anything with my stories that they want to.

I told the author I planned on offing hermione in my original outline and he/she should do the same with ginny in this one.

I've got a new story completed that is scores better than prodigy ever was. I'm going through the revisioning process, because I want to make sure it's the best it can be, but hope to post it soon.

11. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

Nice, will you give any hints as to what the new story is about?

12. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Just read the new version; fine ideas, i guess, but what really detracts from it is the lack of beta. I doubt I'll read anymore of it.

13. Schwing

Schwing Guest

anyone know why neither links seem to exist anymore?

14. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

Well, while after going over this topic again, I'm fairly certain both stories were removed from FF.net. On another subject, you should make an introduction thread, over in the Introduction sub-forum, and try to avoid necro-posting like this, as it typically makes some people rather irritated.

Perhaps this question should go in the Forgotten Fics thread, as well as the question of where Jmcqk6's new story is and what it's title is?

15. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It looks like the author has removed them from ff.net, deleted his yahoo group, and even his one Portkey fic I googled.

"Prodigy in on the shelf, and I don't imagine that I'll ever pick it up again. I hear others have done so." - http://www.fanfiction.net/u/595124/

Don't try to censure noobs, noob. Intro threads aren't required.

Library threads are immune to necro. This thread started in 2005. It's been regularly necroed over the last three years. Schwing brought to our attention that the fic seems to have disappeared.

Your question fails for two reasons.

1. Jmcqk6 posted his new story Introduction, Theme and Variations on his ff.net page. The same page he's been using since 2004.

2. If for some reason you didn't think to look on ff.net, then his username is obviously unique enough to drop straight into google. You don't even have to add any modifiers.

http://www.google.com/search?q=jmcqk6

From there you can find his ff.net account, blog, etc. The guy is prolific, he gets over 2000 results from google. There are no excuses for google failure, Lokesin.

From ff.net: Introduction, Theme, and Variations - Voldemort's greatest deception is revealed during the final battle, and Harry Potter loses, only to disappear the next day. While the world goes crazy, the name Harry Potter turns into a curse. AU, TimeTravel, Harry/Fleur

On his author page he says:
    Yak
    there are no excuses for google failure

16. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

You know, I see other folks get blasted for necro'ing and not posting in the introduction thread all the time, and so I thought "Gee, maybe I should try to be friendly and point him in the right direction."

As for the google question, I guess I made a mistake there. No need to make a multi-paragraph post about it, when you could just recommend:

"Hey, try google more often, he showed up easily with his story on there."

I tried searching for jcmqk6 on FFN's search feature, but I didn't get anything, maybe that's just unreliable. I had assumed that meant he had a different FFN screenname.

Whatever, this is the last time I try to be helpful if this is how folks are going to react.

Edit: Huh, figured out why I didn't find him on FF.N, I had the c and the m backwards. Explains a few things. Leaving the typo as is.

17. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Eh, my bad. I thought you were attacking him.

As long as you're adding something noteworthy to a Library thread, necroing is a-okay. Encouraged, even. In other places, necro at your own risk.

Noteworthy, like these posts aren't.

Yak.

18. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Copy of chapters 1-31 of the original and only one chapter of the original author's re-write in the DLP.net archives.

--bornagainpenguin

19. mfoolen

mfoolen Squib

yes well very nice and all but i can still find the story in the dpl archieve.
    who could help me.

20. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Then there's no problem.