Questions about YOUR FANFIC that don't deserve their own thread...

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ched, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Sorrows

Sorrows High Inquisitor Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Sesc It's been a very long time since I've been to the Tower of London but from what I remember you walk through a bunch of information rooms and the vault doors are just before the shiny treasure so probably at 5. Don't take my word for it though. Also there is a long line of crowns and assorted jewels with a moving conveyer belt like walkway in what is probably Treasury. Room 2.

Oh yeah @Sesc. For a full run down watch the movie Johnny English. Especially if you are writing a break-in. The security of the crown jewels is extensively covered by MI5's finest agent. :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I'm at odds with myself how to write Dumbledore. In particular, how would he act if there was suspicion a student attacked another student quite severely, but there is no proof? And in theory it could have been anyone, really?

Imagine the suspect in his office -- the wand examined, with negative results -- what's the atmosphere? How does Dumbledore act? What does he say? Ask, to force a lie (if it is one)? Never ask directly at all, just his Dumbledorish-apparently-random-but-not-really stuff to figure it out in a different way (how)? What?

Toss me some ideas :(

3. Miner

Miner High Inquisitor

I think we all have an image of Dumbledore being super into "second chances" and seeing the best in people. I'd suspect that he wouldn't do anything to the suspect immediately, but quietly behind the scenes he'd set up multiple ways to watch the student carefully to ascertain whether or not he/she was actually guilty.

And even if he/she was, I don't think he'd do anything direct about it; more like he'd try to figure out his/her motives and then see if maybe he can bring his/her way of thinking around to the point where it wouldn't happen again.

I kind of just get the sense that Dumbledore isn't super confrontational about this kind of thing. Like, Dumbledore doesn't even do anything to Malfoy despite having pretty definitive knowledge of him injuring other students while trying to murder him.

4. wordhammer

wordhammer Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

Dumbledore has been watching students grow up and grow into their powers for decades, and he has a keen insight to motivations and behavior. If he suspects someone but has no proof, I think he'd gently intimidate the student or students to understand the motivations and such. He'd let the student's own guilt and discomfort with the drastic action they've taken bubble to the surface. I don't think he'd ever act like he wasn't sure what was really going on, except in the most bland and unbelievable way.

It isn't necessary for him to seek proof, so much as to explain or eliminate the factors that don't fit into his understanding of the situation. As headmaster, he can take all sorts of actions based upon suspicions, but what he chooses to do usually has more to do with guiding students to grow into taking responsibility for their actions.

5. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Interesting take, @wordhammer. On the face of it, I see a few issues with this -- if he really isn't sure, then what would talking about the issue be useful for? Finding out motivations etc. presupposes the student has motivations, because he is the culprit. But if he isn't, there's nothing to find out, and Dumbledore just, in a roundabout way, accused an innocent student of something quite severe. Somehow, I can't picture him that way.

I keep going back to Riddle and the Chamber and Myrtle, but unfortunately, we never see how exactly Dumbledore confronts him about it -- if he ever even does (and, of course, he was just an ordinary teacher then). But take Riddle either way, just as an example -- what would a (hypothetical) Headmaster Dumbledore do?

Riddle is in his office, for something or another, possibly unrelated (I doubt Dumbledore would ever cite him there in the first place, without concrete proof), and then Dumbledore says or does ... what?

Edit: Hah @Taure, that's bad cop, good cop, but what if Dumbledore hasn't got Harry around to bulldoze people with accusations? :p

6. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You might take inspiration from how Dumbledore confronts Lucius Malfoy at the end of CoS, where he had no proof.

7. deyas

deyas Slug Club Member

I think that's one part of his characterization that often gets sold short in fanfiction, even in fanfic where he's otherwise written well: Dumbledore was not above thinly veiled threats, as Taure shows above, or even very direct threats mixed with a touch of bravado, if you look at his encounter with the Aurors in book 6(??).