1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Heart of a Lion

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Snapdragon, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

Title: The Heart of a Lion
    Author: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3061085/Marshal1
    Rating: Fiction M
    Genre: Adventure/Fantasy
    Library Category: General Fits
    Pairings: Godric/Rowena , Salazar/Helga (probably)
    Summary: Book One of the 'Founders Series': At a time when kings, knights and wizards compete for power over magical Britain, a young boy called Godric struggles to survive in the brutal world of medieval magic…
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11620282/1/The-Heart-of-a-Lion

This story is a Founders story before they became the Founders. Godric is the protagonist and covers him as a young child(not that much) and mostly focuses on him and Salazar growing up together and becoming Knights of Avalon. An Avalon where Merlin is a long dead historic figure.

It really tries to portrait a different history period and does it in a similar style as LoTR. It's also dirty, harsh and bloody. In a sense it doesn't really read like a Harry Potter story and the author is a bit creative with the age of the events(around 1090A.D) to match with the known history.

But if you enjoy history pieces this could become the defining Founders fan fiction with a great immersion. It really impressed me.

To me the level of detail and execution is 5/5 for the available Book One.

Book 1 is complete and I'm looking forward to Book 2 of this series.

2. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    What's the magic like in the story?

3. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

Well, it still is HP magic without really going into spell details but you get a more archaic feel. This world is about vassals and apprentices before systematic schooling. The emphasise is also more on martial arts/swords in the case of Godric who is a dual wielder(Sword+Wand). It's a *magical* world though with magical beings. Ollivander is the wandering wand smith who is seen by some as coning them out of their gold while spinning his tales. This world *lives* and has real characters.

In one of the last chapters an OC scholar at Avalon "seems" to discuss the Patronus charm with Rowena in some intellectual dispute without actually naming it. At that point of time the scholar searches for an in depth explanation of the spell as he only seems to have descriptions about it from his research into scrolls. So the reader gets a hint what this is about but the actual characters don't really grasp the nature of the spell as they don't have the necessary informations.

4. dicsolofer

dicsolofer Squib

High Score:
    It has a lot of great ideas, I especially liked the way Salazar was characterized, but the way the author describes things, feelings and such in the second half of the story (it's possible that I just didn't notice in the beginning) can be quite repetitive and consequently annoying.
    Overall I enjoyed this story, despite it's flaws, so I rate it a tentative 4.

5. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned